Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the truck! Good job. Don't let the jargon bother you. For practical purposes, start with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge. This is a "safety" feature that may help you detect a lift pump failure, which is thought to cause the injection pump failure ($1k+ problem). Install the FP gauge and as long as your pressures are around 10 psi idle and 5 psi wide open throttle, you are Ok. At that point you will have read enough to know Fass from Holley Blue and AFE from K&N, and will get an idea of how much each option will lighten your wallet. Power options are endless, but they are that, options. FP gauge is more of a health monitor.
Some answers: FASS is a high performance lift pump and filter replacement. It is very nice but expensive (as in $0.5k+). There have been discussions on how one can duplicate or approach FASS performance while spending much less money.
AFE and such are high performance air filters. Once you add more fuel supply to the engine (like, high HP injectors, chips etc.) you will want more air flow and turbo boost. This is where free flowing filters may help, and of course anyone who spent $500 on an AFE will swear by it
EGT monitoring comes into play if you tow heavy, run high RPM for a long time or add performance chips. All these will increase the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and excessive EGT can cause turbo damage. This is why people install shutoff timers: they will idle the truck for a few minutes before shutdown to let the EGT drop to a safe level for the turbo.
This is why the guys put in 3 gauges: FP, EGT and turbo boost. The latter tells you if the engine is getting enough air or if you have air leaks. Some also set up transmission temperature gauges but I think that is mostly for automatics.
I only have a FP gauge on my truck, which is mostly stock with the exception of the LP replacement.
-P
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing to do is cut up all your credit cards, and give the checkbook to your wife.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:45 AM

Good reply Paul.

Seaching and reading is the best answer, as there are numerous ways to go.
Your personal education is the best answer to your questions, as nobody will give your money back if you follow their advice, and you are unhappy with the results. Also keep in mind that a lot of these "mods" are done for a large variety of reasons, so what one guy likes doesn't mean you will like it too.

Fuel Pressure seems to be the only constant issue, yet the possibilities are at leat a weeks worth of reading. Some will insist that the FASS system is the only answer, where others are happy with a Vulcan kit with the stock pump. (like me)

Gauges can be digital or analog, and can get expensive as you like.

"Chips" (used to describe every type of performance box) vary greatly as well.

I got the Edge juice as it has a full set of digital "gauges". Again, a personal choice after months of searching and reading.

You have a truck that is capable of 500+ HP and 1000 lbs. of torque (and up !!) quite easily, to leaving it stock and getting half a million miles.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks you guys!! I'll be doing some reading while awaiting delivery. It'll be interesting to see what mods (if any) the truck has. It'll even be better to be able to look under the hood and know my way around as well as I do in Old Blue. That's one of the coooool things....that there's so many things made aftermarket for this truck compared to the 93. Wow! Cutting up the cards and handing over the checkbook is probably the wisest words yet spoken!!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:22 PM

As others have stated, fuel pressure is important to monitor. Don't fret over the fuel filter changes, 5 minute job in the '02 (you'll need a big socket 1-1/8 I think or maybe 1-1/16, can't remember). Takes a bit to bleed the air out when done (no primer bulb on the '02) but you'll be an expert and have it down to mere minutes after the 1st one. Beyond that, the sky is the limit. I've loved my 01.5 even with the frustrating fuel supply system.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:07 PM

*****NEWS FLASH*****

Dateline: Today
Pickup Place: Where the truck's at (TX)
Delivery Place: Where the truck is coming (WA)
Vehicle Shipped: 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel - Blue - OVERSIZED VEHICLE
Loading info: Loaded Friday 3/16/2007 and Delivery Expected Within 10 - 14 Days to Buyer's Location - WA state INSURED CONFIRMED DELIVERY - PAID IN FULL - NO Money Due @ Pickup - THANKS FOR SHIPPING WITH DAS

Reaction:
Old 04-15-2007, 12:17 AM

Finally!!!!

Shipped from San Antonio, TX to Lakewood, WA.
Total time in transit: 3 weeks and 3 days
Cost: $1138
Route of transit: San Antonio north to Aurora, IL then onto a BNSF railcar for a straight thru westward journey to Kent/Renton, WA. Then onto DAS truck for delivery in Lakewood, WA
Thoughts on above move? Read all about it here: http://www.epinions.com/content_343452651140
Overall impression of my new truck? Compared to my old 93? WOW!!
Overall impression of Ebay transaction for this truck? While this was my first time buying a vehicle through a dealer on Ebay, overall I'M PLEASED. The truck was fairly and honestly represented and priced. The dealer, Delbert Neese of San Antonio Texas, hosted a good auction with many pictures and a link to the Car-Fax report which I did look at and use. Along with many pictures in the auction and a telephone conversation with Delbert as well, all helped me in making my decision. I feel I did very well on this particular transaction and got EXACTLY the truck I was looking for, and for the money I had to spend.
Final thoughts on this purchase? if you're in a hurry and you're short on patience, do yourself and your loved ones a favor and buy locally. You'll get your truck a LOT QUICKER saving a LOT of wear and tear on yourself and your family. BUT.....if you have some patience, do your home work, cross those T's and dot those i's, AND WANT TO REAP THE MONETARY REWARDS IN THE FORM OF AN OUTSTANDING VEHICLE OFFERED/PURCHASED, ALL FOR SOME EFFORT & WORK, then you should look to alternative sources for your DREAM TRUCK like I just did. IT AIN'T FOR EVERYONE and there's a horror story here too in the move from TX to WA. But my truck FINALLY made it.
I'll continue the story soon..... THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are a couple of the images that appeared in the auction for my truck. This is near San Antonio, TX on Delbert's ranch. It looks even nicer at my place!!! More pics coming soon.....
Attached Thumbnails I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-02-dodgecummins.jpg   I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?-02-dodgecummins1.jpg  
Old 04-15-2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Pat yourself on the back for not buying a Ford.

ROFL!!! Thats great
Old 04-15-2007, 12:58 AM

Great looking truck... that blue is my fav color on these trucks!! I wanted one that color but ended up settling for maroon due to availability..
Old 04-15-2007, 01:15 AM

Thanks!! I was looking for either a silver one, a white one or the dark blue, like my 93. I would have taken any of those colors had the options, price and condition all been the same. I wasn't going to be fussy (on the color). Glad I got this blue one!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 PM

I would recommend buying the Edge Juice with Attitude. Install it or have it installed and then monitor your fuel pressure before applying the higher fuel settings the juice has to offer. I have had guages and an attitude monitor and would never go back to gauges. The attitude monitor will allow you to look at EGT, boost, fuel pressure, trans temp, fuel temp, air inlet temp, throttle position, load%, battery voltage, water temp and a few more. You get about three of those with gauges and a couple more if you want your cab to look like an airplane cockpit. If you just want a monitor and not the performance upgrades, I think TST offers one. Transfer pump pressure is critical. If it drops below 6 psi you can begin to damage the diaphram in the VP44 injection pump. A three pod pillar for gauges and a 60 horse performance module would cost about the same as a Juice with Attitude which will get you all the monitoring and 120HP.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 AM

Read this:

On the fuel system stuff (lift pump/injection pump/fuel pressure), this would be a good read, complete with pictures.
LINK to thread

This may also be useful:

The fuel filter is easy to change (it's under #5 and #6), you just need a large socket (1 and an 1/8) to loosen the top. Takes 2 minutes. You'll need to "bump" the starter to get the LP to run to re-prime the system. Bumping the starter means you just touch the start position, but then immediately release the key. The LP runs for 30 sec or so, and will prime the system.

#15 is the LP. Mine is now gone from there and relocated to the fuel tank.

If you don't want/need to use a fuel pressure gauge, you can get a low fuel pressure warning light kit Like this one
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM

If you have the stock lift pump and you're planning on staying stock, you can go to your local Cummins dealer and purchase a pump and included with it is the low pressure warning light, sending unit, etc. If you search here you can get the part number and save $ by ordering with the number 'cause that pump was an upgrade for commerical vehicles.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM

I have an 02 as well and i am about to install at FASS 150gph. I have some mods and i am palnning to go more when the $$$ is there. If you are going to stay close to stock you should be more then fine with the 95 but i beleave they are the same prose so why not go with the 150.
Good luck with the rig, you'll love it.

the FASS will eliminate the ligt pump all togeather, the only thing you have to wory about is you injector pump (VP44) they are famout for dying. BUT someone told me that with the FASS, if the VP44 fails it will not be from the lack of FUEL.
My sig had my mods and i am very pleased with them. I would defenitaly do with gauges, then an Intake and asome type of 4 or 5 inch exhause. look arould and you cand find package deaks that will work you what you want them to so.
i was running about 22+ mpg what i was on stock tires (265/75/r16) and i dont know why nut im only turning about 13/14 with 285/75/r16's) and it SUCKS a @ $3.00+/gal.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 PM

If you call the local dodge dealer with the vin # you can get the service records for the truck. Try to find out if/ when the lift pump and injector pump have been replaced.

Looks like a good find on that Texan truck! Mines a texan truck too- it had a straight pipe and a k&n on it when I got it =P

Quick Reply: I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?