Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BE NICE!! I know it's a loaded question. Especially if you drive something older or newer. But after 14 years in a 1st gen 93, I'm moving up to a newer 02. It's a lwb, extended cab, manual tranny Dodge-Cummins truck with about 114,000 miles on it. It's obviously been well cared for but other than what's on the Car-Fax report I don't know much about it. I drew a line in the sand on what I wanted to spend and then shopped around nationwide for the best possible truck (imho) I could find while looking for the options and features I wanted too. I got EXACTLY what I was looking for, right down to the color. A good price too compared to what the same truck would retail for here. All around I feel (and have been told by friends) that I have done O.K. on this transaction.
Anyway, the first thing I'm doing is the first thing I did when I bought my 93 new and that is I'm taking it in for a fitted seat cover. I like cloth but it gets dirty fast and I know better so, that's first.
Second, I'm putting a Lund Moon-Visor on this truck and a new aluminum tool box in the bed. I just like that look.
That all being said, I'll be servicing the truck too, changing the oil and fuel filters, greasing the truck and all of that. Maybe a K & N air filter. It'll go in for a valve adjustment right away too.
The servicing is a MUST, I know that. What should I do or be watching for on this truck?? Suggestions, comments, ideas are ALL WELCOME. I hope this truck takes as good of care of me as the old 93 and I know that's a 2 way street. You take care of it and it'll take care of you. That's the plan anyway...
And I can depend on the experts around here for their help too. Thanks you guys!!!
Chuck
Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Second Gens are notorious for failing lift pumps. It would be helpful to get a set of gauges.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM

with those miles on it I wonder if the lift pump hasnt already been changed out
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM

How would one tell? Is an after market pump any better?? Thanks you guys!!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can read for days about lift pump failures and the after market pumps. It all comes down to cost and preference.

The only true way to check the condition of your lift pump is to check the fuel pressure going to the vp44.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Tell us how you intend on using the truck, and whether or not you plan on staying stock.

If you don't already know about this group, join www.nwbombers.com

Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people right in your neighborhood.

Sounds like a nice truck....good luck.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM

Since you don't have gauges yet, you can go to Pep-Boys, Autozone, or something similar and pick up a fuel pressure gauge setup complete with a schrader valve connection point for about 37 bones. Ignore the "not for use for diesel or flex fuel" statement. Hopefully you will see 10 psi or higher at idle.

To check if you have an after market fuel pump, look under the fuel filter canister near the starter. If you see a pump there, it is stock. If not, climb under the truck and look in front of the tank. If you don't see a pump there, you *may* have the in-tank fuel pump. If you do, most people report about 8psi at idle.

BTW, welcome to the "over-valved" club!!

Joe
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by XJJoe01

BTW, welcome to the "over-valved" club!!

Joe
but to the casual truck person it sounds twice as powerful as saying 12 valve
Old 03-10-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chuxtruk
BE NICE!! I know it's a loaded question. Especially if you drive something older or newer. But after 14 years in a 1st gen 93, I'm moving up to a newer 02. It's a lwb, extended cab, manual tranny Dodge-Cummins truck with about 114,000 miles on it. It's obviously been well cared for but other than what's on the Car-Fax report I don't know much about it. I drew a line in the sand on what I wanted to spend and then shopped around nationwide for the best possible truck (imho) I could find while looking for the options and features I wanted too. I got EXACTLY what I was looking for, right down to the color. A good price too compared to what the same truck would retail for here. All around I feel (and have been told by friends) that I have done O.K. on this transaction.
Anyway, the first thing I'm doing is the first thing I did when I bought my 93 new and that is I'm taking it in for a fitted seat cover. I like cloth but it gets dirty fast and I know better so, that's first.
Second, I'm putting a Lund Moon-Visor on this truck and a new aluminum tool box in the bed. I just like that look.
That all being said, I'll be servicing the truck too, changing the oil and fuel filters, greasing the truck and all of that. Maybe a K & N air filter. It'll go in for a valve adjustment right away too.
The servicing is a MUST, I know that. What should I do or be watching for on this truck?? Suggestions, comments, ideas are ALL WELCOME. I hope this truck takes as good of care of me as the old 93 and I know that's a 2 way street. You take care of it and it'll take care of you. That's the plan anyway...
And I can depend on the experts around here for their help too. Thanks you guys!!!
Chuck
You, my friend have not done OK. You have redefined greatness!

Simply put, you have acquired the greatest 4-wheel apparatus devised by the hands of men!

Not that I'm partial to 02 models, owning one and all that...

First, is it a 6-speed or 5-speed?

Second, what others details can you provide on options??
Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 PM

straight pipe..nuff said
Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Pat yourself on the back for not buying a Ford.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Buy a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 AM

Let's see....
A fuel pressure guage, huh?? Sounds good to me. Anyone have any suggestions about a cluster of guages? I don't tow anything but if you were going to install a 3 guage cluster, which 2 guages would you mount besides the fuel pressure guage?? Or how about a 2 guage setup??
Is the fuel filter in this truck a moe-foe to change like it is in my 93?? I put a fuel filter relocation kit on that truck a year or two ago and that's the gnat's beehind I'm telling you!! SIMPLE, EASY to get to fuel filter takes about 2 minutes to change now. I should have done that YEARS AGO!! And if this 02 is a moe-foe TO CHANGE like my 93 was I want to install a relocation kit in this truck right away!!
A Ford?? I drive a 2001 at work. A gas rig, 4wd extended cab. It's not a bad rig/truck. It's got around 191k on it so I guess it is Ford Tough....I just wouldn't own one. It seems FLIMSY compared to the Dodge-Cummins.
My truck?? Same as the 93 I drive now except for the extended cab. Same tranny, same rearend, even the same color of dark blue. It has the SLT package so power windows, doors, cruise, a/c, tilt, etc. I tow very little so I would say my primary reason for driving one these Dodge trucks as my main vehicle would be that I have ALWAYS owned and driven a pickup (aka a LARGE VEHICLE which is a SAFE vehicle) and after 14 years in a Dodge Cummins with little or no problems on the daily commute, why would I drive anything else?? I drive about 65 miles per day for my swingshift job and old blue got over (and still gets) 23 mpg throughout her career.....I just can't see myself driving anything else. I'm sure the 02 won't get the mileage the 93 has gotten but it won't be too far off. I expect to get about 20 mpg or so. So my PRIMARY USE for my 02 will be as a COMMUTER VEHICLE. Don't laugh as I think there are many others doing the same thing.
If I want a change of pace I just hop in that VW and take that thing for a spin. If you've never driven one of these new bugs TREAT YOURSELF to a car with LOTS of room inside, including head room. I never thought I'd like those cars but it sure ain't like the old ones. Good power, NICE RIDE, comfortable with excellent all around vision, the more I drive that car, the more I like it! Soon as she trades that one in for the new diesel Jetta and except for the BIG VULCAN out in the garage, we'd be an ALL DIESEL family here!!
I tried to talk her into a DIESEL PASSAT but that may be a little rich for her, though she likes that TOUREG too, another spendy, high end SUV type vehicle.
Anyways.....soon as it touches down here I'll snap some pics and I'll tell the story about my first time buying a truck over the internet, right now the title of which would be called How To Practice Patience and Keep Your Monkey Mind Occupied On Other Things or maybe I should call it ZEN And The Art Of Buying Your Dream Truck Over The Internet - Delays And All.
Thanks for the suggestions and comments! This is a great place because there's so many here that drive GREAT TRUCKS. AND GREAT MINDS ALL THINK ALIKE!!!!
Chuck
Old 03-14-2007, 10:30 AM

The first thing I would do is get a FASS on that thing. Then I would get it straight piped. Then I would get the Edge Juice with Attitude. That will give you reliable power with all the guages you need with a Turbo Timer and EGT backdown and all that good stuff. Then I would upgrade your intake to a BHAF or a AFE or something like that to give a slight power increase and more turbo whistle . Oh and take the silencer ring out of your turbo.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM

FASS, Edge Juice, turbo timer, EGT backdown, AFE....sounds like a foreign language as I don't know what ANY of these things are. I guess I've been behind the wheel of an older unit too long!!! Long as they improve mileage (1st) and DON'T decrease reliability (or increase smoke) (2nd) and DON'T break the bank (3rd) I'd be all for the mod(s) you mention. Now....if I only knew what they were.

FASS: I did a Google and saw what a FASS system is. A couple of things come to mind:
1. Where does that thing mount up at??
2. Does this also "relocate" your fuel filter for easier changes?
3. On a stock truck which gph system??
4. Does this thing eliminate the lift pump problem??

Thanks for your help!!

Quick Reply: I've Purchased a 2002 Dodge-Cummins. What's The 1st Thing I Should Do?