Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Its official... I want to do a NV4500 swap in my dually.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
lol!! Definitely wish I had the beer can tranny every time I've dropped my trans!! That iron is heavy! Then again... Why aren't you pulling in Alvarado?? j/k
... 'cause the stock LUK doesn't like it when you hook in 4th LO

Originally Posted by ScottGregory
XLR8R At what age does that happen?
Right about when you're old enough to know better - but too young to care!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe someone should start a nv4500 vs. nv5600 battle thread, because the original poster was set on a nv4500. The fact is pretty obvious, nv5600's are more expensive, so his best choice is a nv4500. Lets try to find him a transmission local to NC that he can use for the swap or somthing instead of arguing if a clutch band will die faster than a syncro will wear out....
Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
maybe someone should start a nv4500 vs. nv5600 battle thread, because the original poster was set on a nv4500. The fact is pretty obvious, nv5600's are more expensive, so his best choice is a nv4500. Lets try to find him a transmission local to NC that he can use for the swap or somthing instead of arguing if a clutch band will die faster than a syncro will wear out....
^^^^^^^^^^x2, he knows what he wants, lets help him out instead of argue over everybodys opinions.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Box5
Yeah....

The OP is lucky he did not want to swap out or change brands of a torque convertor/ clutch, injectors, a go fast box, a cam or any product made by Banks. No less just a measly auto to manual transmission swap which is so simply that just about anyone could do it with no help at all.

Jim
Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

I didnt mean to sound like opinions are bad, lol. Its nice having choices, and getting peoples thoughts on different ones. In this case though, with as little money wanting to be spent, and rebuilds, purchase price etc being cheaper with the nv4500, thats gotta be the way to go.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Bnold,
I remember when I was 21 and knew it all also.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
Bnold,
I remember when I was 21 and knew it all also.
I'm obviously a faster learner than some

Opinions aside, if you want a manual get one! The swap is doable and has been done many times before... From reading on here and talking to friends who have done the swap before the cost for parts etc... runs from free (swapping with a friend) to around $2800 for a 4500 swap bout $1000-1500 more for a 5600. If you plan on towing allot I would go with the 5600 the closer gear ratios are nice, but if you are just using it for day to day driving not really alot of towing go for the 4500! Parts are more readily avail and cheaper! (Not to say it is overly hard to find 5600 parts). Just make sure the dang 5th gear nut is in its rightful place to stay!!

Good luck whatever you decide and post back with your results!
Sorry to get the thread off topic!!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:27 PM

I have been watching this thread mainly because my next door neighbor had this swap done to his 96 2500. Our schedules are not colliding and so I have not been able talk to him about it.

Jim
Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM

$2300

dieselfuelonly, i actuallyjust picked up my trans that ill be starting swapping out tomorrow. i paid $2300 and that was with a $300 core charge on it and it included everything, even a front drive shaft, except the rear shaft. i got the two piece, so well see if she bolts right up to it. i also gotta get the 29 spline input gear for my t-case, and pick up a new clutch at the parts store. im just gonna go with a stock for right now, cause im not putttin a whole lotta hp to the wheels now and probably wont until later. i already started lookin at it. it "looks" like a pretty straight forward install. pm me and ill send you the name of the ole boy i got it from. i live over near jacksonville, nc.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Southern Pride
dieselfuelonly, i actuallyjust picked up my trans that ill be starting swapping out tomorrow. i paid $2300 and that was with a $300 core charge on it and it included everything, even a front drive shaft, except the rear shaft. i got the two piece, so well see if she bolts right up to it. i also gotta get the 29 spline input gear for my t-case, and pick up a new clutch at the parts store. im just gonna go with a stock for right now, cause im not putttin a whole lotta hp to the wheels now and probably wont until later. i already started lookin at it. it "looks" like a pretty straight forward install. pm me and ill send you the name of the ole boy i got it from. i live over near jacksonville, nc.
I'd suggest getting a better clutch now while you have it apart. Get something like an OFE, still plenty streetable, won't break the bank, and will have a decent foundation for future mods. That way you're not buying a second clutch (and possibly flywheel) or taking the tranny out more than it needs to be.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I'd suggest getting a better clutch now while you have it apart. Get something like an OFE, still plenty streetable, won't break the bank, and will have a decent foundation for future mods. That way you're not buying a second clutch (and possibly flywheel) or taking the tranny out more than it needs to be.
I agree, its alot easier to get a good one if you can now rather down the road, youll be regreting it in a month when the stock clutch starts slipping
Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Forgot to mention make sure you have the spacer for the starter if you're running the 13" upgraded clutch w/ the NV5600 flywheel
Old 02-23-2008, 12:21 PM

So what does one do who has an auto to drive, and a 6 speed in the house as well and is on the fence about swapping the auto?

I'm having a tough time deciding between a built auto and a 5 speed swap. My dads truck has an EZ, but six gears almost seems like too many for what we do.

Anyone in rochester with a built auto that wants to take me for a ride?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoyz17

Anyone in rochester with a built auto that wants to take me for a ride?
It's a great time to visit NC, and there are a whole bunch of guys who would give you a ride in a "built" tranny truck, we have 'em all here ATS, Goerend, DTT, etc. etc.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:24 PM
BBA

To bad ya dont want a 6spd. We probably could have worked something out. Im really wanting to go automatic.

Quick Reply: Its official... I want to do a NV4500 swap in my dually.