Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Its official... I want to do a NV4500 swap in my dually.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.balsleyautosales.com/
Sells nearly complete 5spd conversion kits.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Valv
What is your age BTW ?
My whole family is gearheads. We all have fast cars. Just traded in the Nissan Armada for an Infiniti G35x AWD, Can you say turbo kit on the way.

My Bro runs a 500hp 1988 RX-7. The rotary is a 1.3Liter. His wife has a hooked up WRX.

My Dad has a 67 chevelle 396 and his wife has a hooked up Miata.

Nothing wrong with stock, its just not for me.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
My whole family is gearheads. We all have fast cars. Just traded in the Nissan Armada for an Infiniti G35x AWD, Can you say turbo kit on the way.

My Bro runs a 500hp 1988 RX-7. The rotary is a 1.3Liter. His wife has a hooked up WRX.

My Dad has a 67 chevelle 396 and his wife has a hooked up Miata.

Nothing wrong with stock, its just not for me.

A-ha so you have ricers !!!! Busted !!!

No problem, just different point of views, I am 15 years older, 2 grandchildren already, I look more at reliable and stout, than fast and furious.... you know I'm the classic "Old fart"
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM

No problem, just different point of views, I am 15 years older, 2 grandchildren already, I look more at reliable and stout, than fast and furious.... you know I'm the classic "Old fart"
The Nissan Armada was the first foreign car I EVER owned. To tell you the truth, I drove everything, Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, Excursion, Sequoia, and all of them were either too small or underpowered. Besides the point I am a Union PipeFitter and the UA says its OK to buy certain foreign vehicles because they are actually built here and support UNION Auto worker. Half of Dodge, Ford and Chevy are made in Mexico. I had no problem spending my hard earned money on my Nissan to help feed 5000 UAW, instead of giving it to a bunch of Mexicans.
I bought the Armada in early 04, put 60,000 miles on it, towed my 27' camper all over the USA with it and had ZERO problems with it. If it was a Ford, Dodge or Chevy Gasser, it would have been broken by now.
JMO.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Dont know where dieselman2300 gets his info, but this is yet another example of dont believe everything your read on the internet'.

NV5600 is a great, strong, proven trans NV4500 is a great, strong, proven trans

NV5600 GCVW 26,000lbs
NV4500 GCVW 21,000lbs
47RE GCVW 19,000lbs

Is the NV5600 stronger based on those ratings? Or were the manufacturers just pulling numbers out their behinds??

Why do you keep saying the manuals are good for stock to mild HP? There are lots of trucks at crazy high HP that are running sticks!! why because all you have to do is put in a clutch and they are DONE!

No complete rebuilds with billet shafts, valve bodies, torque converters, bands, accumulators, servos etc.... Hey they are strong right out of the box!!

Oh parts are readily available for my 5600, maybe not as available as the 4500, but no more difficult to find then a reputable slushbox builder... I can have any part for my trans delivered within a week...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Dont know where dieselman2300 gets his info, but this is yet another example of dont believe everything your read on the internet'.

NV5600 is a great, strong, proven trans NV4500 is a great, strong, proven trans

NV5600 GCVW 26,000lbs
NV4500 GCVW 21,000lbs
47RE GCVW 19,000lbs

Is the NV5600 stronger based on those ratings? Or were the manufacturers just pulling numbers out their behinds??

Why do you keep saying the manuals are good for stock to mild HP? There are lots of trucks at crazy high HP that are running sticks!! why because all you have to do is put in a clutch and they are DONE!

No complete rebuilds with billet shafts, valve bodies, torque converters, bands, accumulators, servos etc.... Hey they are strong right out of the box!!

Oh parts are readily available for my 5600, maybe not as available as the 4500, but no more difficult to find then a reputable slushbox builder... I can have any part for my trans delivered within a week...
Info, comes from the DTR members, Comp. Diesel members, Cummins forum members and TDR members. Also, Blumenthals and Quad4x4.
All of this info is easily found if you can use the search button.

BTW, if you want to run a bigger dual disc in a NV4500, you have to buy a new 1 3/8" shaft.

If you put a 1 3/8" shaft in a NV4500 I bet you its alot stronger than a NV5600.

The reason why I say manuals are for stock to moderate Horsepower is because you cant shift them as fast as an Auto can.

Yes, you can still get parts for the NV5600, but for how long and why do people want to spend the extra money for a sub-par trans? All you get is an extra gear between 3rd and 4th.

Also, a rebuilt NV4500 runs about $1700 with a 1 3/8" shaft. A dual disc is about $1800. Thats $3500 without shipping. You can get a Goerend for $3550 that will shift faster and WONT break with a BETTER warranty.

Heck, www.drivetrain.com cant even supply NV5600 for their conversion anymore. That right there tells me something, that the availability of them isnt that great. And besides, the conversion from them used to cost $3475 WITHOUT a clutch. All that EXTRA money for a gear between 3rd and 4th.
I wonder how many NV4500s they have?

Boy, look at www.quad4x4.com and THEY ARE SOLD OUT OF THEM TOO.

One day all you NV5600 guys will be swapping to NV4500s, its only a matter of time.

DO A SEARCH!

BTW. This is why we have OPINIONS!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM

HERE the ratios dont lie.

Ratio Data
NV-4500

First Gear 5.61
Second Gear 3.04
Third Gear 1.67
Fourth Gear 1.00
Fifth Gear 0.74

NV-5600
First Gear 5.63
Second Gear 3.38
Third Gear 2.04
Forth Gear 1.39
Fifth Gear 1.00
Sixth Gear 0.73
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Maybe all the NV4500's are available is because people want the NV5600 Probably not, but that is my opinion.

I'll keep my NV5600, when I want to go faster I'll just turn 4th a little higher and go to 6th.
While I agree that there are time that I wish I had an auto, I too like to row the gears. That is part of the enjoyment of my truck.

If we want to talk about cost effectiveness, then perhaps we should look at how much money we spent on making these overweight things move fast. I am certain that there are much more cost effective ways of going fast cheaper, perhaps in a supercharged Yugo.
I do it (spend the money and choose to shift) because I enjoy it everyday when I drive my truck to and from work. I've done that now for the last 183,000 miles and look forward to doing it for at least another 183,000 miles. And yes in the past I had an auto, and drove it for over 200,000 miles, won't do that again.

Now if I could just figure out how to drink my coffee and shift.

As far as the difference between the 5600 and 4500 to me it is a 50/50 draw. With a 5 speed you can get through the patern quicker, but on a long haul with a marginal turbo the 6th geaar is nice since you can drop to 5th and cool things down a little. Try to get that control in an auto.

In other words Dieselfuelonly, sounds like you have a good plan if thats what you want. Unfortunatley I have no idea what it takes or how much it will cost like you originally asked.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Info, comes from the DTR members, Comp. Diesel members, Cummins forum members and TDR members. Also, Blumenthals and Quad4x4.
All of this info is easily found if you can use the search button.

BTW, if you want to run a bigger dual disc in a NV4500, you have to buy a new 1 3/8" shaft.

If you put a 1 3/8" shaft in a NV4500 I bet you its alot stronger than a NV5600.

The reason why I say manuals are for stock to moderate Horsepower is because you cant shift them as fast as an Auto can. OK so now it can hold the power but it cant shift as fast, so we are changing our statement... Wont contest that I can shift as fast as an auto... That's fine I drive a truck that tows and works its butt off.. I prefer a manual for reliability and the ability to make that perfect gear selection when towing... Now it can hold my little 600HP just fine, I run it down the strip and can break a 100mph... faster than an auto with the same amount of HP no, did I buy a 8000# 4x4 6spd diesel truck for a dragster? Nope... You throw in your little "BTW you have to upgrade your input shaft on a 4500" and "if you can use the search button to try and make me look dumb and reality you show what a you really are! Nice try....

Yes, you can still get parts for the NV5600, but for how long and why do people want to spend the extra money for a sub-par trans? All you get is an extra gear between 3rd and 4th. Wow you did really good in this post... why dont you check here: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/transmission.htm and educate yourself some... the gear ratios are spread out from 1st to 6th. This is ideal for towing as it keeps the engines RPM closer to its ideal range

Also, a rebuilt NV4500 runs about $1700 with a 1 3/8" shaft. A dual disc is about $1800. Thats $3500 without shipping. You can get a Goerend for $3550 that will shift faster and WONT break with a BETTER warranty. Maybe you should try your search button... Lots have had issues with goerend trans... So the WONT break statement, up for debate, could my 5600 break? yep can any of these trans break? yep

Why is it most (notice I didn't say all?) sled pullers use manuals? Is it because sled pullers always look for weak components to drag that 80,000lb sled down the track? Dont think so? me either....

Heck, www.drivetrain.com cant even supply NV5600 for their conversion anymore. That right there tells me something, that the availability of them isnt that great. And besides, the conversion from them used to cost $3475 WITHOUT a clutch. All that EXTRA money for a gear between 3rd and 4th. all you want, cause guess what your still wrong!!

Boy, look at www.quad4x4.com and THEY ARE SOLD OUT OF THEM TOO.

One day all you NV5600 guys will be swapping to NV4500s, its only a matter of time. doubt it... probably go to a G56 if I couldn't find parts anymore, but seeing as how parts are readily avail for me dont see that happening any time soon

DO A SEARCH!

BTW. This is why we have OPINIONS! Some better than others!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 PM

HERE the ratios dont lie.

Ratio Data
NV-4500

First Gear 5.61
Second Gear 3.04
Third Gear 1.67
Fourth Gear 1.00
Fifth Gear 0.74

NV-5600
First Gear 5.63
Second Gear 3.38
Third Gear 2.04
Forth Gear 1.39
Fifth Gear 1.00
Sixth Gear 0.73
Wow your right!! Do you know how to read them?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottGregory
Maybe all the NV4500's are available is because people want the NV5600

Now if I could just figure out how to drink my coffee and shift.
I learned how to eat a 4 course meal with a fork & knife while shifting through the gears when I was forced to drive PowerPuke sticks back in the '90's...

Originally Posted by bnold
When you youngsters grow up and see the light, you'll want G56 beer-can tranny's like the rest of us who know better!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 AM

I'm just 19, single, and in college. I love more power and going fast, dont get me wrong. But I agree with you, I want stout and reliable, thats number 1, thats why I choose manual over auto. I have to drive my truck everyday, it gets me to school and work. Ya I may not be able to shoot of the line when the light turns green but I also dont have to spend $3k on building an auto tranny to hold, all I need is a good clutch. Too many people any more dont look at things down the road, your super fast race truck might be nice now but what about in 5yrs or 10yrs, what kind of shape will it be in and how much will you have sunk into trannys by then. For what dieselfuelonly wants to do I think the nv4500 would be the best choice, they are cheaper than the 5600's and I'm sure he doesnt want to spend any more than he has to. Good Luck with your swap

If you need any part #'s heres a link that might help you out, I came across it today on here and thought I'd pass it around, it might help you find a little part or two. http://www.jameskowalski.com/Dodge/Parts/index.html

1994-1996 trucks http://www.jameskowalski.com/Dodge/P...996_Trucks.pdf
Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

When you youngsters grow up and see the light, you'll want G56 beer-can tranny's like the rest of us who know better!
lol!! Definitely wish I had the beer can tranny every time I've dropped my trans!! That iron is heavy! Then again... Why aren't you pulling in Alvarado?? j/k
Old 02-19-2008, 08:49 AM

XLR8R At what age does that happen?
I found that as I got older, I discovered the lever rule and hydraulics....
I'm past my middle age crisis and still want more power.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM

HUH?
If your clutch slips PUT A BIGGER ONE IN!
I have never heard of a NV4500 shaft breaking, why is the NV4500 the trans. choice for sled pullers? Because they can take more abuse than a NV5600.
Synchros wear out just as fast in either trans.
And as far as parts go, your wrong!

I just got a Blumenthals NV4500 with a 1 3/8" fully splined shaft and brass synchros.
Its funny that BOTH Blumenthals and Quad4x4 advised me to stay away from an NV5600 swap for all of the reasons I mentioned before. I guess they are wrong to?
Apparently you have never had a good running truck with a NV4500 bc input shafts break all of the time just go to a truck pull. Also look at the five speed and the six speed out of the truck-the stock input shaft on the five speed is alot smaller than the six speed. Why do you think you have to put a bigger input shaft in the nv4500 when you go to a dual disc!!!!And as far as parts go, your wrong!

Quick Reply: Its official... I want to do a NV4500 swap in my dually.