Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

It's my time

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It's my time

Hello everyone,
My truck (2001 cummins/auto/4x4) is stock except for an afe. Well that and something fell off my turbo that makes it whistle a little more loudly. I am finally gonna do a little modifying. I don't want to go too far, just a little something to help with the smile-age as well as the mileage. I'd like to stay within the stock turbo's capabilities. I tow my early bronco to go wheelin and my quads to go ridin on my flatbed. So, not really a lot of weight. I know my tranny will need attention. I'm just trying to hold off a bit there.

I have been dealing with codes lately. Specifically p0123 and p1693. I unhooked the grounds with the key on for a half an hour and reset the apps like suggested on DTR. That cleared my p0123. I also ordered a new apps from timbo01. Only $160 so I figured I'd replace it to help insure the problem doesn't happen again. I know I need a reader for the p1693. I think I am gonna get a Smarty for that. I took it to AAMCO (Autozone does not do it any more) to get the P1693 code read and they said a p0128 came up. I figure the kids working there didn't even hook it up and just misread the p0123 as p0128. The p0128 only show for 3rd gen truck in the info I've read. I still need to figure out what is causing my p1693. The p1693 shouldn't have anything to do with my vp should it?

Will I be able to clear the codes also with the smarty? Where is the best place to get one?

I also wouldn't mind putting in some 1.6 injectors. Though, I am unsure if I would be able to keep myself in check until I can do my tranny. It might be a little much on my stock turbo also.

I am also gonna address my lift pump while my vp might still might have some life left in it. I'm torn between the HPFP, Raptor, AirDog, FASS 150/150. I know I will probably never really need the big flow some of these offer. But the AirDog and FASS don't really cost any more for higher flow rates, so I figure ***. Do you think the HPFP could handle what the smarty and 1.6's would need? I have never really cared for the mounting placement people use on the FASS and AirDogs. They just seem too vulnerable to me. So I'm leaning toward the smaller less expensive alternatives.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 PM
The Guru

How much driving you do? How much you want to spend? You're stock auto will hand the 1.6 sticks, which is very good choice. You need a fuel upgrade, there lots of options. Transmission, valve body and aftermarket torque converter, if you tow, you can beat on stock stuff until it breaks. At that point you into a tranny. Lots of good fixes. You'll like the result, it will be an awesome truck once you done. After that you'll want more fuel and a bigger turbo. How far to you want to go? You can have a fast 12-13 second daily driver truck with decent fuel mileage, thats cheaper than a new ride.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 PM

I initially thought this was a vp problem. I told the wife then to expect a $2k bill to fix my truck. I now am hoping my vp is still good and can squeeze a few upgrades into that budget. I can't really afford to address the trans at this time. The truck gets used less and less each year. 115k on a 2001.

In 2010, California is going to start a inspection similar to a smog check for our trucks. I like the Smarty for a few reasons. First, it has a half power mode. Second, I can set it where I truly want it and will not be subjected to my sudden impulses to hotrod around and break things. No will power here. Third, it is removed from the truck once it is utilized. I am hoping the 1.6 injectors and the Smarty will help with the mileage while not taxing the trans or turbo too much. I still tow a little.

I know I need to address the lift pump and the p1693. Those are my two main concerns. Upgrades will just be using up the rest of the $2k budget
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Dennis the P1693 code is just a companion code which was set when you got the P0123 code. Nothing to worry about.

Larry
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 AM
The Guru

1.6 are still pretty clean. Just hang on the stocker, just in case. As for the $2k, just buy more beer. It will keep you out of trouble with the miss