Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Isspro gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isspro gauge question

Previous owner had installed three gauge package (boost, pyro, trans), but had not installed the sender for the trans guage. Boost and pyro work fine. I finally installed the sender for the trans temp and it doesn't seem to work. Looked at the gauge module and there is not a power wire to the module. I did a quick check of online instructions and it seems for electrical gauges the module needs power. Would the boost and pyro work fine without power to the module and does the trans gauge need it? I've got the sender installed in the port on my hot line but it never moves off bottom.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No power needed for the boost & pyro.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
No power needed for the boost & pyro.
The boost gauge is mechanical. Please explain how the pyrometer can function without power.

See step 3 on the install instructions:
http://www.isspro.com/installation/IS026.pdf
Old 08-27-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VinDiesel
The boost gauge is mechanical. Please explain how the pyrometer can function without power.

See step 3 on the install instructions:
http://www.isspro.com/installation/IS026.pdf
Many pyros, especially older ones, operate without power, they are basically a millivolt meter that directly reads the voltage produced by the sender. Most of the newer pyros need power for the amplifier. Reason for the amp is that a cheaper gauge can be used.

sjester, if your tranny gauge doesn't work after the amp gets wired up it's likely that your tranny temp is below the bottom reading of the gauge, probably 140°. You will only see temps above 140 in stop and go traffic with the A/C on or while towing. Once the OD is locked very little heat is generated, if you are highway driving the gauge will stay bottomed out. This was my reason for buying a tranny gauge that reads down to zero.
Also hope that you jumped across the wires to the stock sender that you removed with a 1000 ohm resistor otherwise your OD won't work.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM

Vindiesel - I didn't install the gauges, they were on when I go the truck. I thought the box for the trans temp was the box for all the gauges. Have located the other box for the remainder of the gauges and have sent power to the trans gauge module where it didn't have any before

Infidel - I jumped the OEM sender with a 1k resistor as specified on the board about a year ago and the OD works fine. The gauge has just never worked (since it didn't have power see above)

I tapped into the power for the pyro box to supply power to the trans oil gauge. Will this work or do I need to run a dedicated wire all the way back to the fuse box for the trans gauge? I took it for a test drive and pyro worked fine. The trans gauge needle bumped around a little bit (first time I've seen it move) so I don't know if sharing the power with the pyro module is causing a problem or not

Thanks
Old 08-27-2006, 01:18 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sjester
...I tapped into the power for the pyro box to supply power to the trans oil gauge. Will this work or do I need to run a dedicated wire all the way back to the fuse box for the trans gauge? I took it for a test drive and pyro worked fine. The trans gauge needle bumped around a little bit (first time I've seen it move) so I don't know if sharing the power with the pyro module is causing a problem or not

Thanks
I think you're good to go. You might check the connections at the sender plug and also the screw terminals at the boxes. My Isspro EV's came all pre-wired to the amp boxes, but most of the little screws were actually pretty loose.

Daisy-chaining the power between the boxes shouldn't be a problem unless the supply and ground wires are extremely small gauge. Check for good grounds. The two instruments likely pull less than 2 amps, but you might want a 5 amp fuse on the supply.

Actually, according to Isspro the reason the electronics were moved out of the gauge housing to the boxes, was to get them out of the way so the illumination can be more even through the whole dial.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Hit everything with electronics cleaner, tightened all screws and checked the connection at the sensor and the ground. Hopefully it will register next time I go over 140. Thanks for the help

Take care