Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ipod - Anyone Have One Hooked Up To Their Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod - Anyone Have One Hooked Up To Their Truck?

I would like to hook my ipod up to my truck but im not sure how. I was told that I need cd changer controls for the factory radio. I would like to stick with a factory setup because alot of vehicles get broken into where I frequently park.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought all you needed was and FM modulator?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 AM

The FM Modulator is ok, probably the cheapest and easiest. I bought an aftermarket head unit that has an IPOD cord so that you can connect directly.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 AM

I had the FM adapter, completely worthless! Went with a Pioneer deck, Ipod cable specifically for the deck = CD quality. All from Crutchfield.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
GFB

No way. I've got too much money tied up in my system to listen to crappy compressed music files.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM

I got one

The way I understand it, there are two different kinds of FM devices. One is a FM transmitter ( Ipod signal is picked up by the ant.) not very good. And the other is a FM modulator (pluged directly into the ant.) much much better. This is the type I have and I am very happy with it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM

If you have a tape player in your stock stereo you can use the old school tape adapter. Sorry I don't know the proper name for it but it goes in the tape player and has a wire coming out of it that goes into the top of the Ipod. It's what I use for my XM and my Ipod. Seems to work just fine. Eric
Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM

the modulators are hard wired into the radio antenna cord, but it still works through an FM frequency.

the transmitter is dependent on how well it can broadcast the signal to the antenna.

if you want digital sound, you need the factory CD changer controls and buy the kit that wires into that. or buy a new head unit that has an aux input, USB input, or Ipod specific input.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM

I was really looking for a hardwire. I dont care for the FM modulator.
Anyone hook one up to the cd changer output? Do they make 2001 radios with cd changer controls?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 AM

I've got an Alpine unit with the ipod adaptor cord directly into the head unit. Throw it into the glove box or where ever and control it by the head unit. That way the ipod can be hidden from wandering eyes.

Ipod is the #1 mp3 player because it file formats work so well reproducing the music. Mine does an excellent job in my view.

The tape adapter would be the next best way and still get decent sound quality.

The fm transmitter will work, but the sound quality will suffer. I use one from my Garmin gps that has built in XM and it is ok. I mostly am listening to talk radio on XM anyway so it is no big deal. I have the Alpine black box in my truck for XM and the sound quality is excellent that way, but I cannot go from vehicle to vehicle with it. I switched my service the Garmin unit so I only have to pay for one subscription. BTW, I had an FM transmitter from Best Buy (house brand) and it worked ok, but I got a Monster Cable brand and it works a whole lot better with a stronger, more quality signal for the XM.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
I was really looking for a hardwire. I dont care for the FM modulator.
Anyone hook one up to the cd changer output? Do they make 2001 radios with cd changer controls?
I believe I saw one on Ebay the other day. You may try I search over there. Search "dodge cd player". If I remeber correctly it was AM/FM cassete with changer controls. No CD in the radio.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GFB
No way. I've got too much money tied up in my system to listen to crappy compressed music files.
There is no compression loss using iTunes...
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Ipod on OEM radios-Auxillary jack

I've been looking for the same thing as the FM modulator does not work well in our area because there are no blank stations. On e-bayMotors, parts, Dodge Ram, Audio I found a device for $89 plus shipping that you plug into the back of your oem radio, put the wiring harness back into this plug, and it has a wire that you pull out and plug into any MP3/ipod/iRiver,etc, anything that has a jack and it plays through your radio using the CD player. I'm in the process of ordering it. I have pulled the dash off and put a CD/Cassette player in mine when I bought it and it was surprisingly easy so this should be easy enough to do, I think. They also have a more expensive model for Ipods specifically that plays and charges them, but is $149. Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by wilnis
I've been looking for the same thing as the FM modulator does not work well in our area because there are no blank stations. On e-bayMotors, parts, Dodge Ram, Audio I found a device for $89 plus shipping that you plug into the back of your oem radio, put the wiring harness back into this plug, and it has a wire that you pull out and plug into any MP3/ipod/iRiver,etc, anything that has a jack and it plays through your radio using the CD player. I'm in the process of ordering it. I have pulled the dash off and put a CD/Cassette player in mine when I bought it and it was surprisingly easy so this should be easy enough to do, I think. They also have a more expensive model for Ipods specifically that plays and charges them, but is $149. Bill

I have the same box but you must have the CD changer controls in order for it to work. It plugs directly into that harness. I dont have cd changer controls on my factory radio.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by FIREMANF4
I believe I saw one on Ebay the other day. You may try I search over there. Search "dodge cd player". If I remeber correctly it was AM/FM cassete with changer controls. No CD in the radio.
Thats exactly what im looking for.
I have found one but its round instead of the square type that I have.

Quick Reply: Ipod - Anyone Have One Hooked Up To Their Truck?