Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Interesting Smarty Observation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Smarty Observation

I was doing a little testing this week on my fuel mileage with the smarty. Smarty set on 1 (fuel saver), TST off, 155hp injectors. The mileage stayed the same like I kinda figured but that's not the interesting part. Today I've been doing all sorts of running around. Buying a new tire, getting it mounted, picking up parts, just a bunch of around town driving. Well I noticed when I was sitting at a stop light that the truck had a slight lope to it. Now I would normally blow this off as the injectors but I've had these long enough to know it wasn't them. I don't think to much about it though and go to my next stop and kill the truck. Get back in it about 5 minutes later and it's a bear to start. Uh oh. So just for grins I turn the smarty back to 5 and wa la. No more hard starts, the bumpy idle is gone, and everything is good to go.

Only thing I can figure is when your doing a lot of stop and go driving that the heat and extreme advance timing from the smarty on fuel saver just don't go well together and wreaks havoc on the injection pump. I've run the fuel saver many times on long trips and it does help (about 1mpg) and I've never run into this before today so the only thing I can think of is that fuel saver doesn't like stop and go traffic. Oh darn. Guess it's back to running on 5 with the TST.