Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installing ps62-14????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing ps62-14????

I got the new turbo and down pipe today and the two top mounting holes on the turbo are not threaded and the down pipe is about an inch to short.

I'm thinking of just through bolting the mounts and cutting a six inch sleeve off the old four inch down pipe and adding a clamp.
If any one has any other suggestions, please advise?

Also when the stock turbo let go (bearings) will the oil that probably leaks get totally burned? When I changed the oil there was only about five qts in the pan , No metal, but no residue could be seen in the exhaust. I'm wondering where it all went? And i didn't seem to smoke.

Mark
Old 02-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
slowflyer2112:

When you say the "two top mount holes" I am assuming you mean the holes that are in the turbo itself where it mounts to the exhaust manifold, right??
In your kit with the turbo, they should have sent you two (2) new bolts with the nuts and you run the bolts through those holes and tighten the nuts on the other side.

As far as the exhaust pipe/downpipe, the way you are doing it will work. To reinforce that, you can always put a 4-5 inch "band clamp" over the top of the connection if you are worried about leaks.

If your stock center shaft turbo bearing was leaking oil it probably did burn some of it and the rest is probably inside your intercooler, the metal intercooler return pipe to the air horn, the air horn and the intake section of the cylinder head. Try taking off the rubber boot that connects the air horn to the intercooler pipe and wipe the inside of those areas. If you get alot of oily "residue" chances are that is where your "lost oil" is. If you only had about five-six quarts in the pan in an engine that takes 12, I would definitely check that out!

Good luck.

--------
John_P
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 PM

No bolts were sent. There is no oil residue in the plumbing to the intercooler, thats why I was asking about the exhaust. I'm a little concerned about the engine because when I started checking everything out I noticed that the oil gauge will register normal oil pressure with the engine off and the key on.
Stupid gauge.[verymad Also what type of bolts would you recommend?

Mark
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

slowflyer:

I would call the company back that you bought the turbo from and have them send you the correct bolts. I know that they usually send them as I have helped several members and friends install the turbos and they were always in the kits etc. We did an install for DTR Member "2141pete" here at my house on Friday night and he had the supplied bolts. I think his turbo came from HTT. If you don't want to do that, go to a good hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or a company like Fastenal and take your turbo with you.
You can size the bolts up (diameter and length wise) that way. As I recall, I think you can use an M-10X35 HCS-(1.5 to 2 inch) for the install. But don't quote me on that. That size should get you pretty close and HTT or Industrial Injection can probably give you the exact size they recommend for the install.

On your oil leak, if the leak occurred on the exhaust side, yes, you will have the "residue" I described earlier in the exhaust. Sorry about that, I misread you post! Some of it will get "burned off", but not all of it. If you disconnect any part of the exhaust system and wipe the inside with your finger, if it was leaking oil, you will get some of that oily residue on your hand.
I blew an HX-50 on my 1996 Dodge CTD a few years ago and it let go on the exhaust side and I can tell you there was plenty of oil in my exhaust including the whole exhaust wheel! Fortunately,.....I had very little or debris go into the intake side but still ended up having to clean out my intercooler, intake intercooler pipe, air horn and cylinder intake area.

Hope this helps you some.

---------
John_P
Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the reply

Mark
Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Mark:

You are welcome! Just contact me if you need anymore help!

Also let us know how this all works out for you.

--------
John_P