Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installing EGR Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing EGR Front Brakes

Went ahead and ordered the full front kit for my truck and it's supposed to be here Fri. I'm pretty good with working on the truck but I've never really messed with the brakes before. If one of you could give me a little direction as to what to expect it would be much appreciated. Being a '99, the rotors don't just slide off like later years....are they a pain to get off? Any assistance on anything that could teach me something would definately help out.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 02-01-2005, 08:54 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have egr brakes but I did change rotors on a 98 4wd recently. The hub bearing has to be driven off to remove the rotors. The hub is usually stuck pretty good to the spindle. I removed the 4 bolts from behind the spindle, then reinstalled 2 of them about 4 turns, put the socket on the bolt then found a punch that fit in the 1/2"drive opening, and beat it loose with a 3lb maul from behind. Once the hub/rotor is loose you have to drive the wheel studs out to remove the rotor. When you put the bearing hub back in clean it good and install antisieze. Makes me glad I have a 00 with slip on rotors. Tim
Old 02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I have had bearing hubs seized in the knuckles so bad that the only thing that would yank them out was a 25lb slide hammer - mind you, it does make short work of them........if you can free them up by banging on the hub bolts, that is great but I would consider that very lucky from my experience.......I don't bother with any other method other than the slide hammer anymore.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
CTD NUT, you're in salt country. On a truck that's lived out of salt belt the bearing usually comes right off the axle with just a dead blow hammer to the back of the rotor while turning it.