Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

installing a big banjo bolt kit, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a big banjo bolt kit, any tips?

installing the banjo bolt kit i got from dieselinnovations and my f/p gauge.
any tips on the install of the banjos? how do i bleed the system afterwards?

and what do i need to seal the threads of the fittings?

thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 PM

All you need is new banjo washers (two per bolt). To bleed the system, bump the starter and let the LP run (you may have to do this a couple of times) then start her up!

Banjos don't need sealant. As for the fittings for the fuel pressure gauge, liquid sealant (no tape!), kept back from the first couple of threads.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:07 PM

what do the banjos replace? i have one threaded one for the f/p sender, in the test port of the vp44, but where is the test port? i see two banjos on the driver side of the vp, does it replace the bigger one? they both have lines running to them.

what do the other banjos replace?

thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 05:08 PM

On your 99, you can tap into the fuel filter housing. There are two ports on top of the filter housing (small brass plugs). If you're looking over the driver's side fender, the one on the left is post filter, which is where I hooked my gauge to.

If you are going to tap into the VP, the larger (located on the left) is your return line. The smaller (located on the right) is your feed from the fuel filter housing.

I recently purchase the Vulcan kit. It relocates your LP to the frame and bumps your fuel line size up to 1/2" ... also gets rid of those banjo bolts and has an inline tapped fitting for a gauge! http://www.vulcanperformance.com/products.html I should have mine Monday ... can't wait!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:29 PM

the equipment i got is for doing the f/p on the vp44, does that mean i want to use the "in" port?
Old 07-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You should be replacing 2 stock bolts in the fuel lines at the Transfer (lift) Pump, 2 bolts in the lines at the Fuel Filter Canister, and 1 bolt in the line that runs from the Fuel filter to the side of the Injection Pump.

I used new sealing washers (2) per bolt with NO sealant on the threads. That's what the sealing washers are for.
Snug them down, but save the 400 pound Gorilla routine for the Lug Nuts, You CAN snap those banjo bolts off.

To purge the air, Leave the bolt at the Injection Pump loose a couple of turns, then 'Bump' the starter* a couple of times or until you see fuel coming out of that fitting, then snug it up, and fire up the engine.

Turn the key to the ON position, then turn it just enough to engage the starter for a split second.
This will energize the lift pump for an approx. 30 second cycle.
Then key off, and key back on to repeat
Old 07-10-2005, 06:40 PM

"does that mean i want to use the "in" port?"

Shovelhead pretty much answered that ... yes, the tapped bolt goes on the VP inlet from the filter canister.