Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed TST PM3 to play along with my Smarty!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed TST PM3 to play along with my Smarty!!

Well I recieved the PM3 in the mail today and installed it.... All I can say is wow!! This thing is crazy fun!! Can really feel this thing just keep on pulling throught all RPMs!! I never new a pyro could climb that fast!! Have a couple of q's for you guys who run this combo or similar...
What settings are good combination to run for:
Smarty 0-9 TST 0-9
1. Moderate Towing
2. Daily driving (Fuel saver without too much performance losses, have to play a little!! )
3. FUN without melting down with my stock turbo (upgrades to come)!!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM

So do you really like it, I got the same sticks and a catcher, im supposed to pick my TST COMP up on sunday, what kind of temps are you seeing with the TST on 5? also how is the smoke? Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 AM

I've been playing with this myself. 9/9 is great

Now I'm running sw7 with the tst turned off and set at 9 so I can just flip a switch under the dash if its needed

I think you'll need a turbo before you can really enjoy the tst. You've got probably 450+ hp worth of fuel with that little hx. Can you hear a phatshaft calling you yet???
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 AM

With smarty running on 9 and the TST on 5 I can shoot temps to 1500 pretty quick if I'm into it good. just not enough air me need new turbo!!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run Smarty on #7 or #9...depending on how you like the sensitivity.
With your tires & injectors...you'll most likely be towing with the TST on #0, till you get more air!....a lot more air!

You can probably remove the MBC. Won't need it anymore...and may still be exceeding 35-37 psi boost (max recommended for lower EGT's with the HX-35 turbo).

RJ
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
You can probably remove the MBC. Won't need it anymore...and may still be exceeding 35-37 psi boost (max recommended for lower EGT's with the HX-35 turbo).

RJ
Why remove MBC?? Without that thing my HX will spin into orbit!! Have it set at about 37psi right now and normally boost will shoot to about 41 before it settles back down to around 37psi.

I guess the next thing to research is what turbo should I be looking into for my fueling listed?? No sled pulling. Good bit of towing from 3 to 16k. Daily driver that likes to have fun??
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Why remove MBC?? Without that thing my HX will spin into orbit!! Have it set at about 37psi right now and normally boost will shoot to about 41 before it settles back down to around 37psi.
Ahhhh...Unless you have some new fancy MBC...they only add boost. They do not reduce it. Without manual boost controller, wastegate will open as early as possible!
The MBC only restricts flow...causing WG to open later...at a higher Boost #.

You have enough fuel to overload wastegate on your HX-35 and build boost beyond what the WG is set for, but your lowest possible boost # will be with MBC fully opened, or removed!

RJ
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Ahhhh...Unless you have some new fancy MBC...they only add boost. They do not reduce it. Without manual boost controller, wastegate will open as early as possible!
The MBC restricts flow...causing WG to open later...at a higher Boost #.

RJ
I'm kinda dense here so bear with me... True my controller does not allow the wastegate to open until a set point, but it does (eventually at a given pressure) allow the wastegate to open restricting my boost numbers. Without the controller in I can spin that turbo up to 50ish pretty fast...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
KVD

This off the subject but didn't want to make a topic of it, can you still just get a catcher upgrade or is it all samrty now??
Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
catcher ecms are only done when a smarty can not be used, like a cummins conversion or cummins in a boat.

its a special request
Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
I'm kinda dense here so bear with me... True my controller does not allow the wastegate to open until a set point, but it does (eventually at a given pressure) allow the wastegate to open restricting my boost numbers. Without the controller in I can spin that turbo up to 50ish pretty fast...
Once the wastegate is open...it's open! It does not know there is a MBC there.
If you can approach 50 psi without the MBC, you can do the same with it! May be getting more surging without it but I can't quite figure how. If she settles down to 37 psi with the MBC...it WILL do the same without it!

If you think about it, you will see that a MBC is strickly for increasing boost (it's just an easier adjusting boost elbow)....not for reducing/limiting it! At least, that's all mine ever did.

RJ
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 PM

I'm not following you RJ. If the man has a mbc that is allowing the wastegate to function at higher levels of boost ie high 30's instead of low 20's then it is essentially allowing him to get the most out of his stock turbo without overspeeding it and blowing hot air. So what benefit would it be for this man to disable the wastegate?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I'm not following you RJ..... So what benefit would it be for this man to disable the wastegate?
Maybe I'm not following what bnold is saying (it was late friday)
I'm not suggesting he disable wastegate...I'm suggesting he disable his Manual Boost Controller (boost elbow type device). Assuming he has enough fuel to "overpower" wastegate and build boost past gated setting....I see no advantage to setting initial wastegate opening at a higher setting!
Am I missing something?

RJ
Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 AM

But he said boost stays in the 30's with the MBC and goes into the 50's w/o it.
Just trying to clarify things for Mr Bnold
Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 AM

I read that it surges with or without it....than settles down to 37 psi.
If it will settle to 37 psi with MBC...it HAS TO settle to 37 psi with out it. Turbo is not smart enough to know the difference...are they?
This was really my only point! MBC's do not limit boost...they only increase it!...AFAIK

Suspect he never stayed on the throttle to see it settle down? If I was tickling 50 psi (surge) with an HX-35, I would be hard pressed to stay on it also.
What I have always wondered about turbos surging, is ...is it the turbo or the gauge pressure sensor (and needle) over reacting to a sudden increase in pressure? Maybe both??

RJ

Quick Reply: Installed TST PM3 to play along with my Smarty!!