Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed 'Rock Solid' bushing...Having problems with super tight steering!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed 'Rock Solid' bushing...Having problems with super tight steering!

I just finished installing the Rock Solid Ram Steering fix bushing. I Read the destructions, removed all appropriate OEM pieces, and reinstalled new bushing according to instructions/pics. The install went well, but now I can hardly turn the steering wheel. Im afraid to drive it now that is like this.

Can anyone please give me somewhere to start? I destroyed all the OEM parts upon removal and cannot put them back in.

Thanks,
frustrated
Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 AM

Instructions says to use grease only on the inside of the bushing and then just drive it as it will loosen up very quickly. I am about to install mine this weekend so they are fresh on my mind.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
Instructions says to use grease only on the inside of the bushing and then just drive it as it will loosen up very quickly. I am about to install mine this weekend so they are fresh on my mind.
I concur...did all that, still super stiff steering.

Thanks for the reply, please let me know how yours goes. I am waiting on a call from the company to tell them about my issue, hopefully they will have a fix.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need to take it back off and "lightly" sand the inside of it thus removing enough so it won't be so tight. I wound up taking mine off 2 times to get it perfect and if the temps drop below 40*, it'll stiffen back up.

Use a light grit sandpaper too...
Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. What did you do to get the bushing back out? I spent a lot of time trying to get it in.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM

Any tips on how to get enough of a swing on your hammer to drive the bushing in place? I have tried multiple hammers and can't even get one in there much less swing it. How are you guys getting the bushing in? I got mine about 1/4" in and now I can't get it out or can't get it in. This is frustrating. I decided to tackle this tonight and now I might not be able to get it done in time for the morning.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Well I sanded the inner diameter as instructed so it wasn't too tight but I have the same issue. My steering wheel is extremely hard to turn. I have drive over 100 miles and it is not any better. Hopefully it will loosen up b/c there is no way this thing is coming out unless I pull the column.

Has yours improved any?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM

No. I spent all evening after work yesterday trying to get that bushing back out. No luck. I even put two drywall screws in the 6 and 12 o'clock position. no luck. I dont know what to do next. Sure wish I hadnt done this mod
Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Actually after I think about it, there is no way this bushing is coming out even if I pull the column. There is no way to grab a hold of it. It is kind of unnerving to drive it when the steering wheel stays pointed in the same direction after a turn, but I have no choice - only vehicle. This hasn't loosened up at all after 2 days of driving. The instructions say to sand it slightly with find grit sandpaper if it is tight. Mine wasn't tight until it got to the top area, so I kept pulling it off and sanding more material. I am just stumped as I followed the directions exactly and even sanding the bushing it is too tight to drive really.
Have you driven yours at all?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful when you hammer on it because you can actually damage the steering column and you don't want to do that...

I put a small screw in mine and used channel locks to get it out. Use the small piece of PVC to install it.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:33 PM

OK JasonblkZ06. I just took mine for a test drive after spending the afternoon working on mine. I ended up pulling the entire steering column out. Once out, I used a prybar and a hammer to gentle tap the edge of the bushing toward the end of the shaft. To my surprise it came out a lot easier than I expected, I think it is because once the steering column is out you have a TON more room to work.
So, I pulled the bushing, sanded it a little at a time with 240 grit sandpaper and did a couple trial fits. once I was happy w/ the fit, I greased the I.D. and tapped it back on the shaft.
I kind of destroyed the metal retaining washer, so I just used a small hose clamp as a retainer in case the bushing decides to come out...I dont think will.
I recommend pulling the column out. If you need my help, give me a shout.

Hints:
1. All but one of the wiring harness connections are on the steering wheel side under the plastic covers. if you have tilt steering, the tilt control handle unscrews out so the top plastic cover can come off.
2. I had to use an allen wrench to get the Torx screws out, choose the size wisely because they will strip out easy.
3. You dont need to pull the black base plate out that acts as the guide for the shaft through the firewall...just leave it in place.

Good luck.