Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed Powermax 2 and Van Aaken, truck "sputters"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Powermax 2 and Van Aaken, truck "sputters"?

I just installed a TST Powermax 2 stacked with a Van Aaken.

I just got home from a good run with both chips in and something is strange. with the Van Aaken and Powermax 2 plugged in and the P2 turned off, the truck runs fine aside from occasionmally the motor getting really "noisy?"

With the P2 turned on the engine seems to "stutter?" at idle and light throttle or when I let off the throttle. It performs great aside from that. Though the one time I was really able to wind it out I was at 38lbs of boost (doing 150 km/hr in a hurry!) and the engine seemed to "sputter" though I was just easing off the throttle then.

Is this normal? The motor just de-fueling or what?

The truck did have a TST Powermax 3 on it before.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the fuel pressure doing during the sputtering?

phox
Old 07-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Unfortunately I do not have a fuel presure gauge... yet. The lift pump pressure was checked 2 months ago and it was 15lbs.

I have since spoken to Scotty @ Wildcat and Mark @ TST. It seems that the problem is caused by my MAP Sensor, which has been fouled by the oil from my K&N Filter. The truck was reading boost when there was none (off throttle) and the Powermax was still adding extra fuel, since it starts adding fuel @ 3/4 lbs pressure.

Took off the K&N (never realised it could cause so many problems! ) and I have taken out the MAP sensor and cleaned it. It seems a little better, but looks like I will have to replace it.
Dodge $245
Cummins $133.74 + $5.00 shipping

TST carries them but it would not be worth while by the time it came across the border.

Thanks to Scotty & Mark, as well as Lil Dog for his input.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, a MAP sensor.. Never thought of that...

If you clean your K&N and re-oil it per the instructions, you shouldn't have that problem again. If someone else has done it in the shop, I have found they use just about the whole can of oil on the filter which is way too much. Too much oil and you get those problems. On my other trucks the oil can lasted 2 cleanings of the filter and it was the old drum filter on the first genners, about 5" diam and about 10" long, big filter.

Try cleaning the filter per the instructions and monitor the intake for oil buildup. If the intake to the turbo is clean and you still foul the Map sensor, you may have a little blowby past the intake valves which can happen with big fuel. LOL..

J-eh
Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 PM

with the powermax boxes,,whenever you run at light throttle or let out of the throttle,,and boost drops off to next to nothing,,they give a kinda quirky feeling,like that.does yours,as long as youre running with a little boost,run pretty smooth ?if so,,id say thats how its gonna be.............bama
Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 PM

Is anyone else running a van aaken box stacked with a tst powermax on a 2nd gen? I think that the tst powermax 3 will be one of my next additions. After some turbo and clutch work of course!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bama
with the powermax boxes,,whenever you run at light throttle or let out of the throttle,,and boost drops off to next to nothing,,they give a kinda quirky feeling,like that.does yours,as long as youre running with a little boost,run pretty smooth ?if so,,id say thats how its gonna be.............bama
Never noticed this with mine?? Is it a 3rd Gen thing?
RJ
Old 10-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

Body Mechanic,

AFE is in existence because of the mass air oil fouling issue. The owner of AFE had a different formula that doesn't foul the sensor, nobody was interested at K&N so he started AFE! I suggest you use their cleaning and oil kit, really as much dirt as K&N lets in you might want to change the filter system to a AFE Pro Guard 7 too! We stock them and the cleaning kits if you need one.

Mark @ DPPI