Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injectors worth the money????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:24 PM
ejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors worth the money????

My truck is stock except for the Edge EZ,boost elbow,and K&N filter.Is it worth the money to put on a set of bosch 275 hp injectors?How will the power and fuel mileage gains compare to putting on the EZ?
Old 08-01-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Re:Injectors worth the money????

ejb, I think you should calculate a little more than the injectors only- get GAUGES ! or it can become really expensive .
I think you should also contemplate a set of major injectors. I've heard a lot of people going this road: EZ, EZ+275s, scrap EZ get Comp, scrap 275s get Stage 2s or DD2s, scrap turbo and get bigger one, scrap Stage 2s and get stage 4s etc....

If you can go for a ride with some heavily bombed trucks and then ask yourself which level of insanity do I want to attain.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 PM

Yep... what Alpine said... I wouldn't get anything less then any brand injector in a stage 2. But that's just me....

Tony
Old 08-01-2003, 03:41 PM

ejb...I agree with the above statements..The best running truck I had was with an EZ & DD2's injectors. Then I went "ballistic" in bombing, tested every turbo made, every injector, fueling box, air intake system, clutch etc. $20,000 later, all I have, is a bunch of parts worth about $1500, and a couple of trophies worth $10.00. Yes I did achieve some impressive HP numbers, and performance gains, at the expense of 4 blown head gaskets, 4 clutch installs, 6 turbos , 3 exhaust system, 3 VP44 injection pumps and 4 lift pumps, 7 sets of injectors etc.!! :'( :'(. The moral of the story is, if you want to play you have to pay...The set-up I mentioned above, will allow you to run your stock turbo, stock transmission etc. with no additional cost, and you will achieve great performance, with a little decrease in fuel mileage. Would I do it all over again? You bet your sweet "bibby". I haven't stopped yet! ;D ;D
Steve
Old 08-01-2003, 04:49 PM

7 sets of injectors...

Got any left???
Old 08-01-2003, 05:21 PM

If you have a manual you can get away with just the EZ and 275's.
If you are an auto, you will need to upgrade with that combo.
I about smoked my auto with just an EZ before I was upgraded.

You dont need gauges with just the EZ and 275's either.
Your not going to melt the engine with those fueling mods.

--Justin
Old 08-01-2003, 05:23 PM

ejb, the 275's would compliment the EZ rather nicely IMO.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Since you've got the stick, I think the EZ with DD2's would be a good combo. You're not tranny challenged (auto) so it sounds like you're good to go. However, I've heard that above this combo level, you'd best be looking at an upgrade to your clutch, course I hang out with the worst type of people (bombers) and you hear many unverified things, except through the smoke test. : :

All opinions are just mine, based on scuttlebutt from others and their attempts at bombing. BUT, the first thing you should do is gauge up. You need to know where you're at. It's the highly recommended first step. With gauges installed, you can readily see the results of any of your bombing efforts.

~Dave
Old 08-01-2003, 11:20 PM

Steve aka HerberRam,

What a journey -

Since you have been there and done that -

I've been thinking about an Edge Comp, larger injectors and a larger turbo (say a HX40/HX35 or HX40).

If you used your truck for pulling trailers and did not intend to sled pull or race
And
If you wanted to be "closer" to the most horsepower / torque you could achieve without adversely affecting reliability and you were already going to upgrade the clutch - what would be the set up you would recommend? Or would it still be the EZ and the DDIIs?

Thanks

George
Old 08-02-2003, 09:30 AM
ejb

Thanks for all the input!!

Does anyone have any estimates on what kind of HP gains I'd get with the injectors?
Old 08-02-2003, 11:17 AM

George...Since you live in Calif., and assume you're at 1000' or less in altitude, and wanted the most HP empty and still have the flexiability to tow? I would go with the DD2's, Edge Comp Box, and Piers HX-40. The Hx-40 is still towable, however, a little laggy at the bottom end as compared to the HX-35. After saying that, the HX-40 makes up more then enough for the lag at the bottom for the top end performance. With the Edge comp box, you will have all the fueling options whether empty or towing to control Egt's. You would also need to upgrade your transmission, if manual, I would go with a South Bend Clutch con-ofe.

Steve

p.s. Freightrain, I have traded or sold most of my injectors, and plan on keeping the rest for everyday driving and competition.

p.s.s. ejb, you can go to the Diesel Dynamics web site, to find all the difference injector combinations and performance averages you might expect:
http://www.dieseldynamics.com/
Old 08-02-2003, 04:37 PM
ejb

Thanks for the link.

Would those numbers still be accurate when adding to a truck that already has the EZ on it?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:23 AM

ejb...Your answer is yes. The true torque modules are made by EDGE.

: :

Steve
Old 08-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Steve - HerberRam -

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and the advice.

George
Old 08-03-2003, 05:42 PM
ejb

So if my truck had 235hp and 460 lbs.torque stock the EZ should put it up to 300-645.If I put in 75 hp injectors would I get 375 hp,or is the 75 hp just when adding to stock?Would that require a pusher pump?New clutch?THANKS!!!

Quick Reply: Injectors worth the money????