Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which injectors to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which injectors to get?

Hello all, I wanted to get some opinions on injectors and which ones would be best suited for my application.

I will start off with my current setup, and what I am doing in the upgrade.

Right now I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L ISB Shortbed, with Edge COMP, 4" straight pipe exhaust, BD Flex Plate, Banks Torque Converter, Banks Big Elbow kit, Turbo wastegate is modified to produce 28psi at WOT, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air intake.

I want to do some more upgrades to get some more power. I want to put in a FASS 150 fuel system, (Insert injectors here), and a SMARTY.

So the million dollar question, which injectors would you run in this setup? I have been looking at the Bosch 300's or Edge Jammers Stage 2, but there could be others that would be better that I have not come accross. So, tell me what you think would be the best suited for this app? Once this is done, I don't know if I will be adding too much more power, as I am pretty content with what I would have after this. Also, this is not a daily driver, just the weekend warrior
I would like to keep it civilized enough to make it a daily driver if needed, but right now, thats a long shot.

Edit: I also forgot, should I just get the injectors, or for the extra expense get the bodies as well?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 AM

So you are planning on staying with the stock turbo, and are you on a tight budget? And is Mialage an issue. Any towing?

A Fass or airdog will be a good choice.
The Smarty will make the truck feel more fun to drive down in the lower RPM levels but will not make anymore peak power stacking it with the Comp box.
Injectors can range any where from $200 to $900 depending on quality, EGT control, MPG, And Cleaness.

Fill us in and we'll go from there.

Brett
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd question the plan for a Smarty in that mix. You already have a Comp, so the Smarty imo would be somewhat redundant.

If you are hoping to stay with the stock turbo, I'd suggest you not add injectors at all. Your Comp is already capable of pushing the stock turbo near its limits (though only a few actually know where they are-- they are tough critters).

Assuming you want more power than you currently have, I'd suggest you consider a turbocharger upgrade as well as larger injectors.

IMO, complete injectors (not just nozzles) are they way to go if the budget allows. I have the pricey F1 injectors and do not regret paying the premium, even as a man of modest means (stock turbo still!)

Your turbo upgrades will dictate injector size, or vice versa. Personally, I favor the larger injectors as you can always deliver LESS fuel by lifting the pedal, but you can never deliver *more* than the injector will flow-- and a quality injector (like an F1 or DDP) minimizes any atomization efficiency loss in a larger injector.

I have 150hp injectors and get the same or better mileage than when my truck was bone stock.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 PM

I think with a smarty in the mix it will be alot of heat through the turbo. The smarty will benefit you on the botom end alot because it will also eliminate most of the tourge management. I would recomend RV275's or maybe a BD super B and maybe some 100-150's for sticks.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Mach 4's or 4.5's anyone?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM

if your on a budget like i was just get the jammer stage 3's BUT GET THEM POP TESTED. mine has a lopy idle, but it does it every now and then. but you got to know what your doing to do this, its not really hard but if you screw up something seriously could go wrong. my nozzles didnt come with instructions so i had to go by word of mouth on this site but it all came out fine except i didnt GET THEM POP TESTED. heck with my smarty on 9 with these injectors my egts arent too bad just watch them cause some times it could get out of hand but my stock tranny doesnt like all the power at all.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think a Banks torque converter is capable of supporting more power than your truck currently makes.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
I don't think a Banks torque converter is capable of supporting more power than your truck currently makes.
As of right now, its down on power due to a starting to fail fuel pump. Its ok until you get on it, then it just feels down on power. The dyno says its making 260RWHP. The truck has 4.10 gears on it, and 33" tires.

I am aware of the problem if the VP44 doesn't get enough fuel that it will burn up, and the WILL be costly, so I am taking it easy on it till I get the FASS in it, which will be very soon, hence the postings. Also, I don't drive it every day, its a weekend truck. I have another company car that is used for daily driving.

According to Banks, the torque converter can handle up to 1700ftlbs of torque, but it doesn't state HP ratings.