Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injectors and EGT

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors and EGT

I am wanting to get either a set of Mach 1.6's or 2's.The truck is my rodeo rig so it is hooked to a trailer 80% of the time.I have been towing with the comp on 3x3 and have no egt issues at all.I really have to nail it up a hill to hit 1200 pre turbo.But what would my egt's be like with the said injectors and the comp off or set reral low.Would I have any problems with the stock turbo?I am about to have a 5in. exhaust here in a week or so,and that should drop egt's even more.I know I will need a clutch before I put them in.Should I save and get a bigger turbo and then get some 4's or something?Or just run smaller sticks with the stocker?I want to be able to tow about anything but still be fast enough to smoke some ricers when unloaded.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Muted User

I have BD stage 4 EDMS. With the TST box off, but the Edge EZ and the boost elbow on, I cant really get into trouble towing. I only tow about 9,000#'s and last week in 90°F weather I started from a stop on a decent grade on RT22 and rowed trhough all the gears with the go pedal mashed. By the time I was going faster than I wanted, the EGT's were just getting ready to hit 1,300F. With the TST box on even one or two, thats another story all together though

KP
Old 07-17-2005, 10:32 PM

Any other opinions?I want to go as big as I can without too much heat.Could I get away with 2's on a stock charger?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Buz

I also have the same question. How big of injectors can I go with, using my stock turbo before egt's really become a problem?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing, with a stock turbo and comp box, I would recommend the 1.6's. They are designed for towing, I believe, and you will still have to turn the box down some. Mach 2's would probably be more than you can use or want.

RJ
Old 07-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Muted User

That is what I am telling you, I have essentially a stock charger and I have 4's. I would not spend all that money, only to get 1.6's. Get 2's or bigger. Remember, even if its too hot while towing YOU STILL HAVE A RIGHT FOOT, USE IT ACCORDINGLY.

KP
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 600 Megawatts
That is what I am telling you, I have essentially a stock charger and I have 4's. I would not spend all that money, only to get 1.6's. Get 2's or bigger. Remember, even if its too hot while towing YOU STILL HAVE A RIGHT FOOT, USE IT ACCORDINGLY.

KP
Ditto.

Having seen now how streetable a larger injector can be (I can only vouch for Don M's injectors), I would no longer bother with an injector under 100hp.

You *CAN* always lift your foot. It's called DISCIPLINE. I would much rather have the control that a larger stick gives you, instead of being controlled by the computers and what they THINK I should get for fueling.

Everyone said my stock clutch would never hold an EZ and DD2s. Well, it not only held them for 2 years, but it's holding the new Mach 4s just fine. Now that will likely change very soon, but you get the idea.

There's no reason you can't tow with a larger injector if it runs clean. EGTs are a function of the power you USE, not the power you HAVE! If you just back out of the pedal or downshift, you can probably tow with Mach 4s and a stock turbo.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it (except for my clutch, that is)

Think of it this way-- I'd much rather have the high fueling and the very real option of using very little of it, than I would to have NO OPTION AT ALL of higher fueling.

JMO, as always.

jlh
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 PM

600MW / HONN

Anyone who has spend all day in the mountains...having to continually flip aback & forth between the Pyro and the road, might argue with you. I would; it gets very old...very fast!
Just my $.02.

Caleb - did not see the part about smoking Ricers. If your willing to add a bigger turbo and a clutch, than you answered your own question...Get Mach 4's Their great with a comp...and will work towing, if you have the needed air.
RJ
Old 07-18-2005, 02:26 PM

i run the 1.5's and the comp and was towing yesterday into a very heavy head wind, 15-20mph. doing 70-75 down the highway in 6th gear and the box in 3x3 the pyro was about 900-1000. after you tow with that set up a couple of times you can tell where about your temps are going to be with out looking at the gauges. like those guys said it's all discipline with the pedal.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Re: 600MW / HONN

Originally posted by rjohnson
Anyone who has spend all day in the mountains...having to continually flip aback & forth between the Pyro and the road, might argue with you. I would; it gets very old...very fast!
Just my $.02.

Caleb - did not see the part about smoking Ricers. If your willing to add a bigger turbo and a clutch, than you answered your own question...Get Mach 4's Their great with a comp...and will work towing, if you have the needed air.
RJ
Point taken. But I don't think it would take too long to familiarize yourself with what conditions produce a given EGT, and adjust accordingly.

I remember exploring up at high elevation (12.5K I think) and watching the truck IDLE at 800 degrees EGT!!!

Unnerving for sure.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Buz

Stock turbo, comp, and Mach 4's..............wow, If that will work - I'm in!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 PM

What turbo would I need to be able to tow with a set of 4's?I would like to go big but would need to save a while for some air.Also,why are the 1.6's and the 4's the most popular?I don't see much about the mach 2's or 3's.Why is there such a big jump in size between the most popular sticks?BTW,thanks for all the info guys.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Buz
Stock turbo, comp, and Mach 4's..............wow, If that will work - I'm in!!!
Of course it will work. You just have to respect the fact that one wrong move could destroy a rather expensive engine. It will probably have already destroyed a pretty expensive clutch.

It boils down to RESPECT. You respect the power you have, and you can make it work. Stop respecting it, and it may kill you or your truck. Respect the fact that your turbo is WAY too small, and that your clutch can't handle the power.

I'm expecting my clutch to fail soon. Now, i don't feel a need to MAKE that happen, but I know that you can't expect a stocker clutch to hold on long at 150hp over stock.

That said, my stocker still holds, two years after it was supposed to fail behind DD2s and an EZ. So far, so good.

jlh
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Muted User

Same thing with me Hohn. I drove the stock clutch WAY longer than all the clutch 'experts' on here told me I could. I even pulled the sled with it twice. I had RV 275's, the TST PM3 Competition version on 9 all the time and STACKED with an EZ. And only after I started messing around with high RPM 3rd gear launches did I start to brun it up. Once organic clutches burn, you are down the tubes fast though.. ..

Once again, since it came up again and I mentioned this before I will mention it again:

I TOW WITH STAGE 4 EDMS AND A STOCK COMPRESSOR TURBO and I cant hit 1,350F if I try. I just leave the TST box off, but the EZ is on. The EZ actually lowers the EGT's in my case. I attribute this to the advanced timing.

PLEASE PLEASE, DONT SPEND ALL THAT CASH ON INJECTORS AND GET ANYTHING SMALLER THAN 3's.......

KP
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by caleb c.
why are the 1.6's and the 4's the most popular?I don't see much about the mach 2's or 3's..
As I understand it...that is ..what I heard Don M. saying, before he went over my head with injector technology....The 1.6's and the 4's are the lattest...greatest technology. They give lower EGT's, less smoke, and more HP than the previous models. I suspect DON may be reducing the number of options in his line. Just no need for 2's & 3's... IMHO... when the 4's perform so well for just about everyone.

Personally, I know the Mach 4's produce less smoke and no higher EGT's then the Mach 2's I bgt. 12 months earlier....not to mention a lot more power!

The 1.6's would work well with your stock turbo....the 4's will be excellent if you have the interest and means to add more air and a clutch. But that's just me and my cautious approach talking. If you don't mind gambling, run your comp on EZ setting with 4's and your stock turbo and see how it works. If your towing heavy, I think you would be wise to start a clutch/turbo fund.

-I agree with 600 MW:, I find the EZ lowers EGT...stacked on the PM3.
-Honn is right on...any set up can be made to work, if you respect your trucks weakest link (bomb-wise) and drive accordingly. That need for being careful doubles, IMO, if your towing fairly heavy.

RJ

Quick Reply: Injectors and EGT