Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injectors & boost fooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question injectors & boost fooler

From what I've read here, people say the 24V's respond better to injectors than a box. With that in mind I finally got "authorization" from the boss to finish up with the gauges and get injectors. The Edge Comp is going to have to wait a bit 'til I can get a clutch at the same time.
I wanted to go with the Mach 2's, but without the 4" exhaust, clutch, and bigger turbo I think I would be pushing the driveability of the truck. So I've settled for the Mach 1.5's, just don't want to be disappointed.
My question is, will I set overboost codes? Do I need a box first, or can I put in the 1.5's and drive?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:38 AM

With bigger injectors you will more than likely be pushing over 20 lbs. boost, so you will need a boost fooler. It hooks to your MAP sensor and fools it into thinking it is only seeing 18-22 lbs of boost. If you need one send me a PM, I have one setting, but it is for a 98.5.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:56 PM

My understanding is that injectors alone won't increase boost to create codes. Some type of box, or wastegate mod is required to increase boost beyond the factory ~21 psi code threshold.

It is nice to add boost to the increased fuel though as it helps keep EGT's in check.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Banned

The extra fuel the injectors add will increase the boost.

I'd get the comp instead of the injectors. In cab adjustability, more power than just a set of injectors, completely doable with stock turbo (you'll have to upgrade the clutch to use the really high power settings), built in boost fooler, when you do get injectors, it'll give you even MORE power.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:35 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Moose10 I think that the first part should be an EGT gauge.
Basically with the wastegate in stock form you won't have an overboost code since the WG will dump the excess exhaust. So you have more fuel for the same air. Basically your EGTs will get up to very crisp levels. If you disable the WG or reset it with a turbomaster or a boost elbow the MAP will see more than 21# boost and therefore defuel the truck, thinking that the wastegate is defect.
If this defueling does not suffice it will set a code.
So you need a boost fooler and an adjustable wastegate to be able to run injectors.

On the other hand you can do it as BigBlue said- get the comp box first, it incorporates a boost fooler and a boost elbow that will give you the air necessary to burn the extra fuel. It will also give you timing. Later on you can add injectors, but you will need a turbo or two to get enough air in for the amount of fuel you are going to inject then.
I'd get the drag version of the comp in the first place, since the better top end makes for a better driveability- you have a much wider powerband then.

The rest of the powertrain will have a hard time with these mods. Clutch, brakes, tires, shocks etc to keep you from going ballistic to literally.

Just my 2 c

AlpineRAM
Old 07-27-2004, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moose10

I believe it's the ETH that prefer injectors, not just all 24v's.

The above are some valid comments. I also feel, however, you could add just light injectors like 1.5's or 2.0's and be ok.

I did that when starting out. Did my tranny first, than added DD2's and drove it for 3-4 weeks before adding an EZ. I had gauges and 4" exhaust which might have made the difference but had no EGT problems, even with heavy hauling (no towing). Injectors will add some boost but I can't remember expiriencing defueling.
The wastgate handled any overboost conditions, if they did occur, and that was with a smaller turbo than yours. Coming from stock it was a nice bump in power- fun to drive. With your BHAF and straight pipe I feel you would be fine.

I should add I was fairly new to CTD's and was driving more cautiously back than, but I do remember a couple of WOT tests with no problems.

RJ
Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Well once again the knowledge and experience from this site is invaluable. Thanks guys !!!
I'm gonna get the rest of my Isspro's today, and think I'm gonna go with the Comp box to start out. Injectors will wait until a new South Bend can go in at the same time