Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injectors, always seein' injectors!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injectors, always seein' injectors!

I keep seeing junk about injectors, people always tossin injectors in, and it leaves me with two questions.

1) 120hp injectors yield 120 more hp? What's the correlation?

2) A performance injector is supposedly better engineered for deliveriing fuel. I assume it's going to atomize the fuel better, resulting in better combustion, meaning it's more efficient. Do performance injectors result in better mileage?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM

yep, more efficient means more power from the fuel source, and also means better mileage.

Injectors are a very economic, plus seat of your pants feel is awesome to.

Just put an EZ on my truck, and it has gave it a little more. I was hoping for the truck to do a wheelie, so I was dissapointed .

My next mod is prolly going to be a DTT tranny, and then injectors. I hear that a built tranny is like putting on a big power adder because you get a lot more power to the ground than with the stock trannys
Old 06-21-2005, 02:54 PM

what's their downside? the con? the reason not to?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by darrenG
what's their downside? the con? the reason not to?
1. Smoke

2. Higher EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures)

You need more air to burn the added fuel. Bigger turbos and/or twin turbos can help both the above, but they have their own issues (for instance, bigger turbos spool up more slowly because of their larger turbine area and higher rotational inertia).

Rusty
Old 06-21-2005, 03:44 PM

Before you make any upgrades, you need a set of gauges. Pyrometer, boost, and fuel pressure minimum (the last one the most).

if you just install injectors, and mild ones at that, then you will not really need any tranny mods, but a box, and injectors will require some tranny work to make it reliable. I have just the box. I have a set of rv 275 injectors but I am waiting to put them on due to a stock tranny. I can not afford for my truck to be down. It is my only transportation.

The smaller injectors will not smoke real bad. And if you only do the injectors you will prolly not have an exhaust gast temp issue unless you hammer it all over the place.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HappyGA
And if you only do the injectors you will prolly not have an exhaust gast temp issue unless you hammer it all over the place.
Or tow heavy. My truck would hit 1300 degF pre-turbo EGT STOCK towing our previous 13,500 lb GVWR 5th wheel. With my current mods, 1400 degF can be reached all too easily. What do you consider "an exhaust gas temperature issue"??

Rusty
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RustyJC What do you consider "an exhaust gas temperature issue"??Rusty
1650+ for more than a few secs?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 PM

If you're concerned about mileage IMPROVEMENT get a quality injector like the edm or jammers, they supposedly atomize the fuel better. The 275's may have improved my mileage, but not by much. Also I think that as you go larger in injectors the ability to get better mileage goes away.
I think the biggest factor when making any upgrades that give you more power is to go lightly on the go pedal. All this horsepower won't get you better mileage unless you drive easy.
My truck gets over 20 hwy mileage every time, as high as 23 and would do better if I drove slower. I keep trying to convince my wife that with a new turbo and injectors (plus clutch) I would do even better. So far she isn't biting.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Performance EDM injectors can affect mileage, better or worse. This mostly depends on the size. If you go with 65-80hp EDMs, expect an improvement. 150+hp, don't expect more mpg.

But your right foot will affect mpg more than any injectors.

jlh