Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Injector upgrade

Hey everyone I have been reading through the old posts but they just don't seem to answer all my questions to the full extent, so here it goes. I am wanting to add the 275RV's. First off, do I need to do anything other than just remove the old ones and put the new ones in, do I have to tune them; I am planning to buy the comlete injectors. Second, will adding the 275RV's along with the comp be too much for the auto tranny; I realize this is really an opinionated question but would like the input. Third, purely an ego question but I like a little smoke on demand, will this give me more smoke. I know smoke is raw #2 and rarely do I try it but when I want to it is quite impressive to gasoline powered weaklings. These are the major questions I have for now anything else you guys can think of to add would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time and advice.

The Goat
Old 09-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question? Are you going to tap the wire?

To answer your question, there is nothing special you have to do other than install the new injectors. Your trans would stand a better chance of holding the new found power with a shift kit or upgraded vb.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:36 AM

Cool

For right now no I still have warranty miles left and everything I have done so far has been kosher with the dealership and they signed off on the injectors as long as I went with Bosch. As soon as the warranty is up I should have enough money to upgrade the tranny and I will definetly tap the wire.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
275's and a Comp in EZ mode will be pushing the tranny and will be too much for the TC lock up clutch to work well - especially when towing......depending on how much life is left on the lock up clutch, it might go a long time before it packs it in.....it is hard to say for sure. A good shift kit makes certain that higher flow AND higher pressure go to the lock up apply clutch.....this boosts performance and prevents premature wear of the clutch while it is trying to engage. I use a transgo kit and it works very well.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Throw this back out there so I can hopefully get some more replies, thanks again to all who leave advice.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Trans go BOOM!!!!

you could just get the cool pump top so you dont have to tap the wire, blow the trans while still in warranty then have the tech install a valve body and a converter durring the install and then you would be good for a long time.

When my first trans went BOOM thats what I did. The tech was willing to do just about anything for a little under the table cash/ tip for installing my valve body and the converter was going to be installed anyway so no biggie.

hope this helps.

Dan
Old 09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

billygoat02,

Why don't you do one or the other for now and se if that makes you happy HP wise, you can always add the rest later. I would go with the Comp first, not tap the wire and drive it for a few days and see if that's good enough for you. Then either tap the wire or add the 275rv's and see if that's the magic amount of HP you want. CTD Nut is right if you tow much or drive a little on the aggressive side a comp and 275rv's will eventually make Mr. Tranny go away.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Hey guys have to agree. Installed the 275/300's with the comp no wire. Within 2k miles the trans started to slip/shudder while under load. The dealer was very un cooperative and I had 95k on the truck. Decided to just take the leap and get an aftermarket trans installed along with some bigger sticks, turbo and the gauges. Wow what a difference. Toasted a new Corvette yesterday.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
275's and a Comp in EZ mode will be pushing the tranny and will be too much for the TC lock up clutch to work well - especially when towing......depending on how much life is left on the lock up clutch, it might go a long time before it packs it in.....it is hard to say for sure. A good shift kit makes certain that higher flow AND higher pressure go to the lock up apply clutch.....this boosts performance and prevents premature wear of the clutch while it is trying to engage. I use a transgo kit and it works very well.
I've been running the EZ/275 combo for at least 6-8 months and even with me using a lock up switch, towing a little hear and there in the city, and beating the ever living tar out of it (lugging it to get smoke, flooring it off the lights, more than I can remember 0-115mph runs), my tranny has never once slipped on me. I've got 87k on mine and back in the trucks younger days it saw several long smokey powerbrakes. The EZ/275 combo is probably the best combo out there. No smoke unless you want it, low EGT's (I may hit 1200* at 115 mph), fairly easy on the tranny, very docile on the street, and great mileage (I'm getting about 20mpg with mine). As long as you don't hook the wire up on the comp, then I wouldn't worry about the tranny.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Mark Craig
billygoat02,

Why don't you do one or the other for now and se if that makes you happy HP wise, you can always add the rest later. I would go with the Comp first, not tap the wire and drive it for a few days and see if that's good enough for you. Then either tap the wire or add the 275rv's and see if that's the magic amount of HP you want. CTD Nut is right if you tow much or drive a little on the aggressive side a comp and 275rv's will eventually make Mr. Tranny go away.

Mark @ DPPI
I have already installed the comp untapped and don't want to tap the wire for warranty reasons. I like the power of the comp in EZ mode but would like a little more HP and torque I rarely tow these days probably won't be for a while yet so it is mainly a daily driver. The dealership told me 275RV'S are ok because they are Bosch. CTD NUT mentioned a TransGo shift kit. Would this add enough for daily driver purposes or should I just keep saving and buy the bullet proof tranny a little later, then tap the wire and add the 275RV's? Guages, exhaust and intake are already done, had the lift pump tested the other day and tests fine.

billygoat02
Old 10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

If your worried about your tranny, get a DTT VB. I installed one on mine and I just tapped the wire and I ran it on 5x5 and it never once slipped. It was awesome. Only problem now though is my egt's will hit 1475* by 55mph and are still climbing. Just something to think about.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 PM

Injectors are much easier on the auto tranny than any box is. I'd recommend 275s or larger, and then just use the box as a boost fooler (NOT "ez" mode, but just a boost fooler, no data connector, just MAP).

Then, you can tap the wire when you get the trans upgraded, and can buy bigger better injectors to begin with.

jlh
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Banned

billygoat02,

If you keep the weight of towing off of it and use common sense the 275's and the Trans GO kit will do well for you, so long as the trans is in good shape to start with.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've been running the EZ/275 combo for at least 6-8 months and even with me using a lock up switch, towing a little hear and there in the city, and beating the ever living tar out of it (lugging it to get smoke, flooring it off the lights, more than I can remember 0-115mph runs), my tranny has never once slipped on me. I've got 87k on mine and back in the trucks younger days it saw several long smokey powerbrakes. The EZ/275 combo is probably the best combo out there. No smoke unless you want it, low EGT's (I may hit 1200* at 115 mph), fairly easy on the tranny, very docile on the street, and great mileage (I'm getting about 20mpg with mine). As long as you don't hook the wire up on the comp, then I wouldn't worry about the tranny.
If you have a relatively low mileage tranny and TC, I would agree but I stick by my statement that you will be running near the limit of the lock up.....this combo has caused high mileage lock up clutches to fail quickly....even with a low mileage stock TC and VB, this combo will do in a lock up clutch quickly when towing heavy. If the truck spends most of it's time bombing around empty, the TC life expectancy will obviously be much higher..
Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
billygoat02

I agree with those preaching caution.

How strong your stock tranny is...is luck of the draw. All stock trannies are not equal.

More than one has started slipping with just an EZ. And driving carefully is not the biggest or only factor....as Big Blues history documents. I know his truck and believe he got one of the stronger stock 47RE's.

Go for the injectors and say your prayers every night. Worst case scenario....you turn the Comp off till you get your tranny rebuilt.

Good luck!

RJ