Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector and turbo combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector and turbo combo

what is everyone's suggestions for my new turbo and injector setup? im wanting to turn down the box a little for everyday driving, so im not fueling as aggressively and really working the vp. im looking to add a phat shaft 62 and injectors. im usually running empty, but i do tow. i do not drag race or sled pull. just looking for a good, powerful setup for mileage thats still towable. so what size exhaust housing should i get with the 62? 12 or 14? i lean towards the 14, just becuase id love to use this turbo in a set of twins one day. but i dont want to sacrifice spoolup since im used to it and, of course, since i tow. im wanting to turn the box down a little for normal driving, but still have good power, what size injector do yall suggest? then when i want to play empty, i could still turn the box back up to level 5 and use it - even if i get a little warm. ive searched and i am just confused on which injector size for the 62 turbo i want that will give me what im looking for.

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 PM

MACH 4's!!! ive never tried any other injector and i dont have any reason to try any other. these injectors are smooth and pull very hard. i also tow a 32' fifth wheel with a phat shaft 62/65/14.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:23 PM

i forgot to mention my injector choice will ONLY be between DDP's and the mach's.

moules, that has been my choice as well. how are your egt's and most importantly, whats your spoolup like? please compare it to a hx35 spoolup.

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 PM

so the PS62/14 is what II uses for the twins? If so I think I just made up my mind. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 PM

I just put on my phat shaft today 62/65/14 today and I love it. It spools slower than the 35 but when it light hold on I have my edge set on 6 hot and it will break the tires loose at about 30mph it is amazing and I am hopeing to run it in the 1/4 in the next week or so.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM

A 3 or 4 from DDP will make you very happy and it won't kill your wallet!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by j-dubya
i forgot to mention my injector choice will ONLY be between DDP's and the mach's.

moules, that has been my choice as well. how are your egt's and most importantly, whats your spoolup like? please compare it to a hx35 spoolup.

thanks,

jeremy
egt's are easily controlable while towing. on a wot run with the drag comp on kill, the egts will hit 1500 at the end of the run. spool up is good. much better than the sps 62/71/14. now i have the adrenaline which lights the charger quicker.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the major difference between DDP's and machs? besides price, obviously I've heard people with one, knock on the other, but I've hears the machs make less power, I Might be looking at an injector soon too, can't decide as well, will be looking through this thread and others

not trying to thread hijack!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 AM

no problem with hijacking - i always love hearing more and more about the mach and ddp topic...

how about mileage? what do you guys normally see for in town and on the highway? if you stepped up from a combo similar to what im running now, how was your mileage affected?

and as for what was asked earlier, yes, II uses the 62 as part of their towing twin kit.

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 AM

can anyone give me some insight on how a ps62/14 would spool and tow with some ddp3's or mach 3's versus using a 150hp injector? still looking to turn down my edge to 2-3 for daily driving. i dont want to lose spool though. thats very important. also, what would it be like to tow with the 110hp injectors over the 150 hp injectors? could i still spool the way i need to?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM

110 hp injectors won't spool it any faster than 150hp, nor any slower. If you over fuel it before the turbo lights, its gonna take longer for the turbo to get going. Ever notice the turbo spools much better when you roll into the throttle instead of just matting it?

As for your combo, I'd say go with 150hp injectors of either flavor. DDP's were cheaper and had a quicker turn around time, which is why I ended up going with them. I called numerous places for the Machs and either no answer or no return call.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:03 PM

how is the mileage? thats why im kinda leaning towards the 110hp injector.

how about for towing - will the 62 turbo lag too much with the above injector?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For mileage, I can report that my Mach 4s have always done well. My get the same mileage now as it did bone stock-- better in some cases. Last top-off was 18.x with almost all short trips and tons of cold starts. I routinely expect 20mpg on an extended hwy run.

I can't really help you with the turbo thing, but I'd just throw out a couple things. First, spoolup has everything to do with the hot side and comparatively little to do with the compressor. The 62 turbo with the smaller turbine (65mm) should spool plenty well for towing. I'd recommend the larger housing even if it's a little laggier, as it will deliver more towing power for a given EGT. If your converter is pretty tight, you might want to consider the tighter housing.

Choosing a turbo with an auto trans is a lot less forgiving than with a manual trans, so be conservative and incremental in your turbo selection. (not so with injectors)
Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM

im kinda wondering about the mileage differences between a 110hp injector and a 150hp.

another thing that is stumping me is this: which is better - using less injection pump (turning the box down) and using a bigger injector that reqires more fuel? OR, keeping the box turned up with a bit smaller injector?

thanks,

jeremy
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM

I've had the DDP Stage 3's for 40,000 miles and so far they've been great. Always smooth, and being that it tows more than it drives empty, I can say they work excellent for towing. The killer B 64/14 spools slower than the HX35, but with the switch from the comp to the adrenaline, it spools about 250rpms lower.

Quick Reply: injector and turbo combo