Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector tightening question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question injector tightening question

I have a leaking #5 injector. It is leaking pretty good, and started about 3 weeks ago. Just found the problem today though, and would like to fix it before friday. I took the return line bolt off that injector, and tried to turn it the best i could with a wrench with no luck in getting it stopped. I think its leaking under the main injector nut i guess(15/16 nut). Is there an oring or something under here i will have to replace, or should i take off the line, and tighten it down good with a socket/ratchet. Couldnt keep the wrench on it that great, but it still felt like it should be tight enough. Truck seems to run fine, but i would like to get it fixed asap. Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 08-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

I just fixed this problem on mine, I had fuel leaking into the oil which was the O-ring on the injector tube leaking and then there is a seperate O-ring on the injector itself to check also.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:11 AM

Isnt the 24v different though. If anyone has any pictures it would help. I've nerver really delt with injectors. Is there a sleeve that screws into the block that they screw into or what?? Thanks

Eric
Old 08-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

Sorry about that, got so excited about finally knowing something I didn't even bother to read.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:18 AM

TQ the 15/16" injector retaining nut down to 44ftlbs. If that does not help, get a injector install kit with new injector washers and return line washers, pull the injector, clean the injector well out with a scotch brite pad and some compressed air, reinstall the injector with the new copper washer and TQ to 44ftlbs then bolt everything back up.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 AM

99 cummins: No problem man. I do this myself sometimes.lol I appreciate you trying to help

cummins 4 life: Thanks! Exactly what i needed to know!

Eric
Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 AM

forget the torque spec, mine leaked too when i installed them just get them tight as you can without stripping the threads.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:43 AM

the 24 vavle and 12 valve have somewhat similar injectors.........the oring is interchangable between them...
Old 08-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never had luck stopping injector leaks by just tightening down more, need to remove, clean the bore and replace washers. It is important to take care of this ASAP, a leak combined with the very high pressure can erode a path though the steel that can become impossible to seal.

Notes on 12 valve injector removal:
Remove the injector lines totally, if you try to bend them out of the way damage to the lines is very likely, plus you will have a hard time lining them up again.

An easy puller can be made with a piece of 3/4" pipe 1-3/8" long, pvc or steel pipe, it doesn't matter. I use a 1/2" pvc coupling ground to 1-3/8".
After removing the inlet and return lines just slip the pipe with a washer on top over the injector and screw one of your wheel lug nuts onto the top of the injector.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 AM

Well guys i went out and looked at it this morning since the fuel all dried up around it from sitting all night. Started it up, and got to watching. I think the fuel is coming up through between the injector body, and the top of the 15/16'ths nut. Is there a seal here too, and how do you tighten it up without messing up where the return line port on it is? I could tighten it probaby but then i would have to bend my return line to get it back on it probably, and i dont know if its just loose or what. Reason i thought it was coming out around the 15/16ths nut is because it is pooling up on top of it, and dripping down the side of it and making it pool up and look like thats the problem. Thanks for the help guys!

Eric
Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Sounds like the injector isnt sealing to the bottom of the injector well and its getting blowby past the tip up around the injector body and coming out where you describe it. Best way to fix that is to pull the injector clean things up good and reinstall with a new washer.

If you place your hand over the injector while the engine is running can you feel compression coming up from around the injector? Or does it just bubble up? Either way pull the injector.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't put my hand anywhere near a leaking injector. If it sprays fuel, it'll embed under the skin and cause serious trouble. Use a piece of paper or carboard..
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 PM

O.K. guys. Havent dug into it yet, but i have a 12 valve motor in my shop, and it has 215 injectors which im going to install anyway when i get a torque converter. I pulled one of the injectors just to see how everything came apart, and i understand it way better now. Im pretty well satisfied i just need to pull the line, pull the injector, and put a new copper washer on it. I think thats robably the problem. So where do i get a injector installation kit at? No cummins dealers close, so dodge? How much will it run me. I will need it anyway when i put the 215's in. I never knew how easy it was to pull an injector out of a 12 valve. Made me a simple little puller with the lug nut trick, and it worked like a charm. Its also awesome to have a motor out of the truck to tinker with. I appreciate all the help guys. Still seem to be getting 16-17mpg or so which is as good as i ever seem to get? It has a little stream of fuel down the side of the block shortly after you start it. Anyway. Thanks for all the help.

Eric
Old 08-21-2005, 12:06 AM

Any diesel repair shop should be able to supply you with an install kit. Anything like that around your area? I'm not familar with any diesel shops around there very close.

Are all the fuel fittings tight? Where at on the block is the small leak? Your supply or return line may have a small leak which would effect milage. I get 14-18 in town and 18-22 on the highway depending on how hard I drive it.

[edit] is this place close?

Lexington Diesel Injection
253 Blue Sky Pkwy
Lexington, KY 40509-9419
(859) 263-7987

Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM

Well, i bought a washer from dodge, but the only thing is, its quite a bit bigger than the ones on my 215 injectors. Just thicker. Looks the same size everywhere else. Are they supposed to be thicker? Need quick help, because hopefully i can get it in tonight. Thanks guys!

Eric

Quick Reply: injector tightening question