Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector swap on H/O

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector swap on H/O

I'm going to be swapping the injectors soon and was wondering about something (Look!!! It's trying to think! ) It's my understanding that one of the differences in the H/O from the S/O is the H/O uses higher pressure and smaller injectors. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. With that in mind, will RV275's give me more of an increase since mine is an H/O?

Along the same line...
I don't want to have to change the clutch just yet. Is there a set of injectors that are one step above the RV275's? I also don't want to spend $900 on injectors.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:49 AM

Re:Injector swap on H/O

You are correct, sir. Any given injector will make more power on a HO motor than on a SO motor with all other things being equal. The next step up injector would be a stage 1 (~60hp) offering from one of the aftermarket vendors (DD, BD, F1, etc.)

Since you have the EZ box, the 275s are going to put a pretty good strain on your clutch. It may slip, or it may take it just fine... it seems to be a case by case basis with the HO clutches.

John
Old 10-29-2003, 11:22 AM

The RV275's in a the HO make a great addition even without a timing box. Good down low torque. With your Edge EZ you wouldn't have an issue with your clutch slipping. My brother has this exact setup on an 01' HO and it runs great.

No slipping of the clutch even when pulling. You will be wise to search on Ebay for some RV275's for about $200. I would also spend money on gauges for your truck: Pyrometer,Boost, and Fuel Pressure.

I think w/ DD1's you would be ok with your clutch. I'm running RV 275's and an Edge Pulse Box so I'm over 300HP and 600TQ and haven't slipped my NV4500. I would just buy the RV275's b/c they are inexpensive compared to DD1's. How often do you see used DD1's? I usually only see used RV275's.

-CM
Old 10-29-2003, 11:26 AM

I put in RV 300s (one step above the 275s) and an EZ. On a really steep hill I could slip the clutch when I put the hammer down passing people, but have never slipped it towing. If buying new, the Bosch 300s are the same price as the Bosch 275s, so it's a no-brainer.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:37 PM

[quote author=cmckinney link=board=7;threadid=21670;start=0#msg203056 date=1067448139]
The RV275's in a the HO make a great addition even without a timing box. Good down low torque. With your Edge EZ you wouldn't have an issue with your clutch slipping. My brother has this exact setup on an 01' HO and it runs great.

No slipping of the clutch even when pulling. You will be wise to search on Ebay for some RV275's for about $200. I would also spend money on gauges for your truck: Pyrometer,Boost, and Fuel Pressure.

I think w/ DD1's you would be ok with your clutch. I'm running RV 275's and an Edge Pulse Box so I'm over 300HP and 600TQ and haven't slipped my NV4500. I would just buy the RV275's b/c they are inexpensive compared to DD1's. How often do you see used DD1's? I usually only see used RV275's.

-CM
[/quote]

Try as I have, I can't seem to find any Bosche RV275 injectors for $200.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:59 PM

[quote author=cmckinney link=board=7;threadid=21670;start=0#msg203056 date=1067448139]

-CM
[/quote]

I beg to differ on the clutch slipping. I had just an EZ and all was fine. Once I added the 275's I could slip the clutch if I buried the go pedal at low rpm's. You better be prepared to upgrade your clutch as well (mine only had 4000 miles on it). If you don't want to drive it hard then you can probably make it last for a while like others do. But if towing it won't take long and you'll be making the call for a new clutch. My South Bend Con O works awsome!

Good luck, Phil
;D
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 PM

First I put the Banks setup in - it really made a difference. When I put the injectors (RV275) in it made another big difference. I have never had it on a dyno so there is no objective way to measure the h.p. However with the stock lift pump I could take the fuel pressure from 15 at idle to -0- at wot. Now with high flow banjos, a new lift pump and a pusher pump I am taking the fuel pressure from 22psi to 13 psi. Bottom line it is pushing a lot of fuel through there.

As far as the clutch - I haven't slipped it yet - but I try to keep the rpms up before I get into it.

Good luck you are starting on a slippery slope. I have a tst pm3, Hx40/35 turbo, edmIIs and a sbc con ofe clutch to put in next. Just waiting for it all to get here and the time to do it.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:28 PM

I hafta back up the "clutch slipping" guys. I have the RV275 injectors with the Edge EZ box on my '02 2500 HO, and lunched the clutch at just 24,000 miles, with a camper on board most of the time. Went to the South Bend, and now have 48,000 on it, mostly with a bigger camper and towing a 15' boat, and I don't hold back on the foot-feed. We'll see - it's even with the stocker right now. I'm the one who rigged up the on-off switch for the EZ a couple of weeks ago, and I'll tell ya true - the difference in power is amazing when you switch it off..............and so is the difference in smoke when leaving traffic lights. Lar.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:05 PM

I think the clutch life is sometimes related to luck. Some have slipped there clutch with only a edge ez installed. While I have 63,000 miles on my truck. I've been hauling my fifth wheel to minnesota several times and pushed it hard all the way with no slipping. The clutch is always out before stomping on the accelerator. Also keep the rpms above 1500. I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=rattle_rattle link=board=7;threadid=21670;start=0#msg203721 date=1067557070]

-CM
[/quote]

Try as I have, I can't seem to find any Bosche RV275 injectors for $200.
[/quote]

Real Bosch RV275's are no longer 200 bucks a set. Bosch saw fit to crank the price up again. Retail seems to be ranging from 575.00 and up. Fakes are available but not at the top of my list on quality.

No more cheap injectors from Bosch :'(

Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 PM

Edge Comp (no wire), RV275's, and an HX40/35 turbo. Stock clutch doesn't slip on my HO. Matter of luck -- got a good one, others haven't been so lucky.

Say, Willyzao or anyone, what's up with the RV300 injectors for an '02? Haven't heard of that one. Are they equivalent to a DD2?
Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 AM

I wanted to put injectors in without having to buy a clutch, so I started looking into the 275s. Of the three local shops that I called, two said they don't even bother with the 275s anymore, they're only a ~25hp injector and the 300s cost the same, so they just sell/install 300s now. It's still a Bosch part, roughly the equivalent of DD1s. They're $60 each, if anyone is interested.

Tartarus, how's the comp without the wire? Does it do anything when you change the levels? Just curious, I recently traded my EZ for a comp so I could turn it off around town, but don't want to tap the wire yet.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:49 AM

To repeat the mantra - Gauges First!

With just the 275's, I had some EGT issues with just a light load during uphill acceleration.
After further modifications that increased boost, those problems were reduced. Even with the addition of more fuel.

With any increase in power you are risking your clutch. Some live/some don't. Simple as that. Any number of factors.
You must be prepared to make the upgrade if necessary.
For now, mine's holding up to more than the 275/EZ combo.
My fingers are crossed, and the phone number for my SBC vendor is on speed-dial.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI:
That late build '02s seem to be able to take some serious power. I have DD2s and an EZ, and no slippage, even when towing.

It's all in how you drive, and what you are starting with.

My truck was built in late July 02.

HOHN
Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 PM

Anyone know where to buy the Bosch RV 300's, part number?

Quick Reply: Injector swap on H/O