Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: Which is the best option?
Fix pump governor for $400, still have 291K mile pump
31.25%
Buy stock replacement for $1000, lose 215HP pump to core
18.75%
Buy Jannetty Racing pump for $1900, keep 215HP pump for whatever
37.50%
Other?
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Injector pump fix/replacement options, which do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though they're both right about at .050"?

What makes it rev higher, springs too tight, or too lose?

How about the fuel?

What would cause them to all of a sudden be too tight? Never had the problem til them parts fell down in the pump...I'm thinking something is bent?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:28 AM

i'd say you're right about something being bent, & adjusting the gov. springs may be a temp. fix for a bigger problem, as bad as it sux it looks as though you're gonna be stuck forking out some $$$ for a fix or another pump, good luck & let us know what ya decide? Dusty
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave88LX
El Paso is about 450 miles away (6 1/2 hours), why what's out there? Not much from what I saw driving through it.
its only good when im there jk cuz thats where i go the most and i have the other side of the pump working great, so i just thought about makin one good pump out of two none working
Old 12-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Even though they're both right about at .050"?

What makes it rev higher, springs too tight, or too lose?

How about the fuel?

What would cause them to all of a sudden be too tight? Never had the problem til them parts fell down in the pump...I'm thinking something is bent?
my two experiences...

tighter springs: rev higher

tighter springs: lower power on take of!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Hrmmmm, I have both them sypmptoms. So, even though the springs weren't messed with and they're at .050"/.042", I should turn them both out a click you think?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM

The gov.springs go through two studs on the flyweights, I bet the studs are bent a little thats why the springs are a little tight. Eventhough your clicks are correct.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:02 PM

Maybe it might be worth a shot then? Shouldn't take long to back 'em off each a click. Is it possible to make something else worse?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Maybe it might be worth a shot then? Shouldn't take long to back 'em off each a click. Is it possible to make something else worse?
i think if you open it up, you can see if the stud is in the middle of the gov weights.

if you back them off, jsut go throught the top of the pump, just dont back them off further then straight with the stud! i always adjust them to be just 1mm lower then the stud.
(let the stud stick out 1 mm)

Specially on some 215's and 180's ive owned,, ive noticed the springs are too tight, so i back em off a click or two,!

With too tight i mean, that i cant have the idle rpm the way i like it, and still start the truck up without giving it pedal.

you might even wanna take out all springs, from the side of the pump, and see if the studs arent in the middle!

did you ever mess with the upper screw on the back of the pump? Not the gov arm adjustment screw, (the other one) that affects idle also?
out=lower idle
in= higher idle! IIRC
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM

It is easy to tell if the studs are bent. If they are bent backing the clicks off won't help. Pump will need to be pulled and repaired.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:54 PM

So you run the springs loose then? 1mm = .039". What do you mean by "backing them off further than straight"? I s'pose I can back them off a click, that'll give me .033" and .025", won't that be too loose? Just 1 click off from normal.

Never messed with that upper screw, just the governor arm adjustment.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving to mASS? Good luck! Double check your insurance before you enter. Its -that- crazy. Too bad its not open carry here. Actually.. maybe a good thing it isnt..
Id also say send your pump to PDR or scheid's. Have also heard good things about Marty's shop.

[QUOTE=Dave88LX;1241057]Let me throw this into the mix -- I'm driving from TX to Mass on Wednesday, so time is a factor. I was thinking we could just drive it as-is with the idle turned up, but the ole lady (young lady) said she doesn't want to take chances. She handed me her credit card, and said get whatever I need to make sure it's ready and reliable.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 PM

So you run the springs loose then? 1mm = .039". What do you mean by "backing them off further than straight"? I s'pose I can back them off a click, that'll give me .033" and .025", won't that be too loose? Just 1 click off from normal.

Never messed with that upper screw, just the governor arm adjustment.
doesnt really matter how loose they are... as long as the nut is not hitting the walls of the pump side. (its tight, thats why the gov arm adj screw caused a mess in there)

yeah and if they are bent, loosen the nut wont help.
take out the springs, if they come out straight, they arent bent, if you have to pull em out with a pliers, they are bent!

ive bent back a GSK stud, when mine was bent once. with it on the truck, pump still runs great!

if they are bent, let me know, ill tell you how i bent mine back!
if they are only bent they can be bent back, but if mayor problem happened, you will need to take it of & fix it!

(rememb first the cheapest alternatives)

let me know!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 AM

Yep Mass! Born & raised. I know, it's ridiculous up there. I called up to USAA to talk to a rep about insurance, she said she didn't do mass insurance, I'd have to call back and talk to someone else. I asked which states she covered, she said "all of them EXCEPT mass!

How long did you drive your truck for with the bent studs?
What caused them to bend, same thing?

Hopefully it'll be fine for ~4000 miles eh? They're bent...they're not going anywhere hehe. It just sucks at idle/off-idle. I bumped up my idle a bit and it was OK, now I have to bump it up again.

Hopefully they are bent and I can fix it; I'll hit you up after the trip and see what I have to do...
Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 AM

It just sucks at idle/off-idle. I bumped up my idle a bit and it was OK, now I have to bump it up again.

Hopefully they are bent and I can fix it; I'll hit you up after the trip and see what I have to do...
hmmmmm something stupid bent my spring stud! I put "too many" washers under the springs, and couldnt get the nut tight enough, to come past the stud, (Nut was higher then the stud) so the nut hit the pump side walls, and bent,
i didnt drive it at all, cuz idle was like at 1500 rpm, thats usually what happens with bent studs, idle is like at 1300 to 2000 rpm,

is yours is low, they arent bent studs IMO. your springs are too tight man! thats what it sounds like,

like joefarmer said: loosen the springs a click or two. thats why your low idle take off sucks.
thats getting my fav sentence: "Its better to have loose springs and high idle screw for best low end power"
loosen the springs two clicks, and adjust idle accordingly
It doesnt change engine idle rpm, it balances, you lower one, and higher the other and stays at like 850.

idle doesnt change, just the power is a whole lot better like that, like i said in my trucks i dump the clutch in 2nd, with no pedal, and it takes off like a charm!

BTW, is low end take off the only problem you have?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Yeah when I first start the truck, I have to give it fuel to start and stay running, but once running it's good. Only other problems is when taking off, I have to give it fuel, and when coming to a stop, when I let off the fuel and push in the clutch, RPM's start dropping, sometimes they drop to about 200-300 and rise back up, and sometimes they just keep falling to 0 and the truck stalls out. Driving around it seems fine though.

Quick Reply: Injector pump fix/replacement options, which do you suggest?