Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector Pump Advice PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Pump Advice PLEASE!!

My injector pump recently went out, I've posted in the HELP forum a few times, I just need some advice on what to get as a replacement. I have established that the SO VP44 is a better choice than the HO VP44, however, "industrialinjection.com" sales a Hot Rod VP44 that they claim to make up to 100 extra hp on 98.5-02 Cummins. Someone please tell me if I need the Hot Rod pump or just the Standard Output, OR some other pump out there. As you can tell I'm not that technical YET with diesel parts.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM

The most recomended pump would be the factory pump of the SO trucks (5 speeds for ease of clarification), Theres quite a few options (Hot Rod's, Monsters, SO , HO) I personally recomend using the SO the best high end power results are with the SO pump! Lots of folks run the HRVP or hot rod pump and many with good results, but for the same amount of cash , a edge comp drag or similar fueling box will net the same results without the pump change! Mind you, the highest HP Vp trucks run SO pumps with the exception of a few trucks! Some folks feel the monster pump is a option, at this time until further testing is done, many including myself feel its a waste of money!
The Monsters are a hit and miss pump, some provide great results , some provide problems and more problems!
Provide your truck a good fuel system, FASS or the system of your prefrence and your VP will give great service, Make sure you run a high quality fuel treatment such as Stanadyne or Powerservice (Many other brands as well) to assist in lubricity where the new fuel is lacking!

The HRVP44 Mainly dose what a good fueling box would do! I would stay SO pump!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM

What is the difference between the SO and HO pump. I have an HO truck, does that mean I have an HO pump?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Yes, This would mean you have the HO Pump. In simple terms, Your HO Pump fuels Less on the top, Maybe Slightly more on the bottom if any. When using larger injectors , The pump wont be able to supply the fuel demand! The SO is a Great option considering most of your high HP trucks run a SO, and you dont have the price of a HRVP or Monster Pump... HRVP has proven little or no increase, While the monster hasnt proven anything at this point!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM

hold on so yall are saying that the hotrod pump gives you a 100hp??
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Not Hardly, They would like you to think that! The Hot Rod pump may add 100 hp with no boxes, But pretty simply stating, Most will tell you , a HRVP will make good power until around 500-600 , The Most Cost Effective way to big power would be to install somthing like a drag comp ! The HRVP-44 will limit top end power and the Effects of a fueling box , The Fueling box would run $400-$1000 and provide the same if not more positive effects!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM

The HRVP by itself will add power, but if you ran it in a truck that did 650 hp with an SO pump, the HRVP will be right around the same mark. Its advantage is at lower power levels. Its disadvantage is its driving manners. Poor, erratic idle, surging, not fuelly defueling on coasting. I should mention this isn't on all of them, but there is quite a few like this. Mine was like this and I'm sure happy I got rid of it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
C2O
Banned

likes whats been said if you were gonna stay pretty much lean on the boxes then the HRVP is gonna work if you're gonna be stacking for big numbers then get an SO
Old 12-11-2007, 05:42 PM

If you had a stock truck and planned on keeping it that way I'd say go with a HO again, but seeing the mods you have, I'd go with a SO. Thats what I did with mine, but it killed my bottom end power. I'm hopping to hit somewhere between 500-550hp someday, so thats why i went with a SO, but driving it stock until I can afford a module or injectors is killing me...and my fuel mileage.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Like Tate said, go with the SO and some nice injectors. My HRVP had great bottom end but the idle drove me and my neighbours up the wall, trust me!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM

how would you kno if you had a hrvp my dad recently had a knew one installed and im just curious on which one i have
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Idle lope or serial number??? Mine had a skull and crossbones on the electronics cover but I think that's the local Edmonton shop's slogan.