Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector nozzles vs Injectors, help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John DiMartino
Anyone who is willing to change out injectors to get more power.should be willing to pay a little more for the injectors to be professionally built and tested.I run Don M injectors,and no way would i hand assemble,and install an injector in my engine without it being tested at least for pop off.One bad nozzle can ruin the engine,aerate a piston or wash down a cyl of its oil.All these things are far more expensive to repair,than the money you may save is worth.One last thing i have run all size injectors from Don M,and the size 1.5-7,and they all idle much smoother than stock. I have the mach 6+ in my truck,and everyone ho rides in my truck or listens to it run remark how quiet and smooth it runs,and idles.A stock truck sounds thrashy by comparison.Theres lot more to an injector than just throwing it together and hoping for the best,only Don M touched my nozzles.

why arent you still running the 7's?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Could you run 125s with the following mods:
Boost fooler
5" exhaust, 4" downpipe (overkill i know it)
intake

would you need bigger fuel lines or an aux. fuel pump, like a holley?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:33 PM

I worked in a diesel fuel injection/ shop and have noticed that something when you put new parts in they don't work soemtimes. so why take the chance and put in something that is new that has a 50/50 chance of not work. i would rather have them pop tested and insure that they are delivering the correct amont and pop at the right pressures rather than just throwing them in and hopeing they are going to work correct. could possibly end up being more of a costly add on if you cut corners. JMO on this. Everyone is different
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by 9512vCTD
Could you run 125s with the following mods:
Boost fooler
5" exhaust, 4" downpipe (overkill i know it)
intake

would you need bigger fuel lines or an aux. fuel pump, like a holley?
I would run with and high flow lift pump and bigger lines.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
why arent you still running the 7's?
My injectors are between a 6 and 7.The 7's werent in my truck.neither were the smaller ones.I guess I better update my signature .According to Don,my nozzles are big 6's for spraying nitrous.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by John DiMartino
My injectors are between a 6 and 7.The 7's werent in my truck.neither were the smaller ones.I guess I better update my signature .According to Don,my nozzles are big 6's for spraying nitrous.
did you like the 7's?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by natew05
I worked in a diesel fuel injection/ shop and have noticed that something when you put new parts in they don't work soemtimes. so why take the chance and put in something that is new that has a 50/50 chance of not work. i would rather have them pop tested and insure that they are delivering the correct amont and pop at the right pressures rather than just throwing them in and hopeing they are going to work correct. could possibly end up being more of a costly add on if you cut corners. JMO on this. Everyone is different

I'd be driving a different truck or finding a new shop of a BRAND NEW part only had a 50% chance of working properly.

Don M sticks are pop tested before they are shipped.

jh
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM

I would NEVER do nozzles without having the injectors rebuilt and pop tested...but I'm a little **** about stuff like that!

HOHN...where you been??
Chris
Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True, injectors are precision parts, but the nozzle is the least precise part. A cracked nozzle still delivers fuel at high pressure, it just has a funny inefficient spray angle and some of the fuel probably gets wasted.... no different than when a Mach 6, 7, 8, or 10 Millon gets mashed hard at low boost. Some of that fuel hits the cylinder walls and pools on the piston. Like was previously stated, if your current injectors work fine, their precision internals will remain intact with just the change of the nozzle. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now, all that being said, an expensive perfectly flow matched, and perfectly pop off pressure matched set will idle smoother. But if all we wanted was a smoother idle, new stock injectors are much cheaper. If you are looking for cheap power, nozzles are the answer .
Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
.. A cracked nozzle still delivers fuel at high pressure, .... no different than when a Mach 6, 7, 8... gets mashed hard at low boost.
Serious oversimplification, IMO!

RJ
Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Well, I'm no engineer, and I don't make injectors or nozzles so there is a chance I missed the mark!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 AM

What happens when that cracked injector finally breaks?? It gets shoved into the piston, the crankcase fills with fuel, or the cylinder hydrolocks, bends the rod, or breaks the crank

A Mach 6,7,8, or 10 million is NOT in any way shape or form like a cracked nozzle, simply hosing the fuel in there all over the cylinder. I've seen the head off a engine that had ran the Mach 6's for a length of time...it wasn't spraying outside the bowl, period! Also, that truck had not been "babied"

Quality, not quantity is what makes useable power in todays diesels...smoke is bad for power, and bad for our "sport"

But what do I know...I've got a 12v!
Chris
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Have any of you ever tried Bullydog injectors? I got a great deal on a new set from a friend and I just have to go pick them up. I am debating on using them or trading them off on some machs any input would be grat
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 AM

I didn't say Mach 6's are like cracked injector nozzles, I said that even a cracked injector still delivers fuel. So, IF you happen to get a bad set of jammer 5's, with a lower quality spray angle, they still work! As long as the old injector body came from a well running truck, swapping a nozzle will not hurt anything.
Like previosly stated, I don't doubt Machs are great injectors, I just said that cheap nozzles are not junk, i've never heard of anyone having problems with them.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM

I didn't say Mach 6's are like cracked injector nozzles, I said that even a cracked injector still delivers fuel.
Really??

True, injectors are precision parts, but the nozzle is the least precise part. A cracked nozzle still delivers fuel at high pressure, it just has a funny inefficient spray angle and some of the fuel probably gets wasted.... no different than when a Mach 6, 7, 8, or 10 Millon gets mashed hard at low boost. Some of that fuel hits the cylinder walls and pools on the piston.
I guess you did say they were no different...my mistake!

I'm not knocking the Jammer's in any way...I have a set coming for a buddy that is just looking for ~130hp, which is why I ordered Jammer 5's BUT, they will be sent to my injection shop, pop tested, and the bodies will be rebuilt using all new parts before they go in his engine. I wouldn't think of re-using old parts in a system that crucial to an engine's wellbeing...especially since it will only cost $100 to rebuild a whole set!

Chris