Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Jason said it’s easy. But one thing he, nor anyone else mentioned..... CLEANLINESS CLEANLINESS CLEANLINESS !!!!!!!!!!!!! You MUST work incredibly clean. Don’t think that you can pull the injectors and with the same filthy hands take them apart on a crumby, dirty wooden workbench and have them work properly. Perhaps this could be the reason for some of the reported problems with nozzles. Mine are A-OK 100% perfect, but I was positively **** about being clean. Clear off an area, then put down some brown or white paper from a roll (NOT RAGS, CLOTHS, PAPER TOWELS OR PADS etc… lint is just as bad as dirt). Get your hands perfectly clean or use surgical gloves. Forget about blowing the nozzles or other internal parts off with your filthy shop air line blow gun either. Unless you have a real nice inline filter and a clean air hose, don’t blow anything off at all or used canned dry air if you must. You can do it like Jason said with keystock and a vice and if the puck spring stays in nice and you have clean hands just put the new nozzle right on top. But if you drop the puck, then its time for the super clean detail....

Those holes are very very tiny, they EDM them for a reason, you can’t drill them that small, the slightest piece of dirt and your 7 hole injector is now a 6 hole. Call me ****, but mine work great and others are having trouble……. FWIW

KP
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

That's one of the reasons I have a problem with just changing nozzles. If the slightest spec of dirt gets in there your injectors are shot. No thanks. I'll spend the extra money for a full set of injectors.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am just curious, I have a set of brand new,never been run small injectors, smaller than the stock injectors here. Are the bodies the same on all of them? In other words would nozzles make them into good injectors?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I saved for 2 years to get the Mach 4s I just ordered.

Wanna guess if I think nozzles are worth the gamble to save some $$??

Certainly people can get the nozzles to work. But I'm not the Vegas type, nor is this the kind of thing I'm comfortable taking chances with.

Whole injectors look cheap compared to an engine rebuild from a bad injector.

jlh
Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Muted User

Now hohn, for the first time on here your post has disappointed me !!!!!! I would have thought you would be all about DIY nozzles..... I am surprised at you!!!!! lol...

Seriously, if you work clean its NO problem.

Personally, I think that you can do it at home cleaner than they do it in a shop. I know that the high priced injector salesmen are gonna jump all over this and all over me, but bottom line: Injector manufacturers pay one or several men/ladies (we know Don M cant possibly put them together himself since he spends all his time on this forum ), probably way less than $15 an hour to sit in a shop and put these things together over and over again all day, all week etc etc. This guy/gal doesnt know or care who is getting the injector or what its going in and I am sure there is at least some pressure on him/her as to how many a day they get done and they probably despise the repetitive nature of the job. Now I am sure that the facilities are spanking clean and the employees are constantly drilled about cleanliness, and if the injectors are bench tested and the spray pattern inspected closely, the odds are really good that the injector is clean. But, bottom line, some guy/gal who really doesnt care about you is putting your injector together.

Now on the other hand, when its your baby, and you are doing the work you can be positively **** about the cleanliness and get it perfect. There is no time constraint, and you will make sure you have done the perfect job.

KP
Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No prob, kev.

No doubt it's simple and one could do it at home. But I just don't want the hassle and/or liability.

That said, assembly is less important to me than the actual nozzle. i believe Don's NOZZLES are the best, and there's no other way to get them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Don go to selling just nozzles to authorized installers and have them put them on after verifying decent cores.

But right now, there's no other way to guarantee the quality that Don is known for without doing it all in-house.

jlh
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Yep, its just me. everything in house. Except the steel mill we use for our proprietary alloy for the nozzles. I dont even have any employees.

Less than 21 months and over 700 sets later I am still alive. Not sure how.

I have not forgoten about you yet Justin.

Don~
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Don M
Yep, its just me. everything in house. Except the steel mill we use for our proprietary alloy for the nozzles. I dont even have any employees.

Less than 21 months and over 700 sets later I am still alive. Not sure how.

I have not forgoten about you yet Justin.

Don~
Hey Don, how is the Walmart deal working out?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Banned

Old 06-02-2005, 10:04 PM
DTR Advertiser

Still in negotiations with them. They wanted to sell them for 2.99 each, make them in China and sell thousands per day. They have a spare factory right next to Fruit of the Loom in Shanghai. I told them we should build them in India or Taiwan like the big performance injector companies do.

Don~
Old 06-02-2005, 11:18 PM

What I get from this thread is.

"I dont know how to do it, so dont you go and try it" or "I am not familiar with the process so you shoudnt be either"

Both of those opinions don't hold any water in my book.

Tip changes are a breeze, I havent done 700. But the sets I have done work perfectly.
Like the above poster states: CLEANLINESS!!

I use the disposable sterile lab mats for each set I make along with new lint free rags, injector cleaner, q tips, 2-3 pairs of dental gloves. Inspection light, torque wrench, etc.

There is alot to learn from changing your own tips and I encourage people to try it out.
Of course that might not be a popular statement according to the armchair quarterbacks on this site.

Haulin,
Yeah the "other" types of bodies will work fine.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Muted User

Pourin, amen brother. Dead on.

KP
Old 06-03-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do most diesel shops have the POP tester? Will I need to buy the adapter from Chrysler?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Don M
Still in negotiations with them. They wanted to sell them for 2.99 each, make them in China and sell thousands per day. They have a spare factory right next to Fruit of the Loom in Shanghai. I told them we should build them in India or Taiwan like the big performance injector companies do.

Don~
So whats the hold up man? Get mainstream with the rest of them. Your costs for 80,000 injectors will be less then 700 the other way, Walmart will pay you in more then 3 months if they sell fast and if they don't, you do not get paid. Sounds like a weiner of a deal to me. Are you going to include fortune cookies? Maybe the install instructions could be in broken english inside a fortune cookie. SWEET
Hows the neck doing? Sometimes I wish I had one so I could be a bobble doll too.

Dang I need more coffee.

Maybe I can make some injectors out of ABS plastic.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Mcmopar
Do most diesel shops have the POP tester? Will I need to buy the adapter from Chrysler?

Not sure about every diesel injectoin shop having a pop tester??? I would have to say that the good ones do. They are not that expensive and easy to use. As for a flow tester, thats another story. Those can be pricey.

I DO NOT actually build the injectors, I leave that up to my local diesel shop that has a guy that does that day in and day out.

I have gotten really creative and ordered 10 sets of the BIG EDM nozzles. Flowed them all and took the nozzles that flowed the most volume and made a set. I have not put them in YET, just saving them for a rainy day.

These nozzles are then assembled and the pop is set, there is something to be said about where to set the pop pressure.

Don,

These new tips you speak of... Are you using a stock rv 275 pintel or having the mill make you new ones?

Justin

Quick Reply: injector nozzles