Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector flow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector flow?

I understand how to select an injector by their hp level but when they talk about the cc it flows or if it's like 5x.012 I don't know how big they are. So I was wondering if some one could explain this to me.

I have been looking at getting Mach 4 so we can use that and stock to compare.

1. What is the cc flow of stock and Mach 4?
2. What is the # x .0## of stock and Mach 4?

Any of info will help, thanks for helping
Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Well, the size listing method tells you the number of holes and the size of those holes in thousandths of an inch.

As far as flow, it depends. The proper way to calculate any flow rates is as a rated pressure. However, the volume of fuel alone does not tell the power story. As some injectors that flow less actually make more power.

I won't go into specific flow volumes, but a little means a lot!

Dave
Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
Well, the size listing method tells you the number of holes and the size of those holes in thousandths of an inch.

As far as flow, it depends. The proper way to calculate any flow rates is as a rated pressure. However, the volume of fuel alone does not tell the power story. As some injectors that flow less actually make more power.

I won't go into specific flow volumes, but a little means a lot!

Dave
Is a big part of power with Injectors; spray pattern and the amount of atomization?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM

yes Dinner. the fuel cant be just dumped in there at will as that will kind of put the fire out so to speak. take 370s in a 12v for instance. They are notorious for having the wrong spray pattern. This can lead to A Ton of heat which makes egts go crazy. haze at idle. a bunch of unburnt fuel which leads to the truck rolling coal and in some cases makeing the turbo be laggy and mpg may fall as well.
The main part of selecting injectors has to do with what your truck has on it. If you have the air to take advantage of the fuel the injectors can produce your fine there will be more power, a little more smoke but it wont roll the coal as the turbo will easily be able to clear it up, mpg may go up as well. If you don't the results will be basically the same as the 370 results, unburnt fuel, rolling coal, and sometimes turbo lag.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Is a big part of power with Injectors; spray pattern and the amount of atomization?
Spray pattern is critical. And by adjusting the pattern, you can actually place the fuel in the location of the piston you want it, in the shape and volume that you want.

The bottom line is it still takes X amount of fuel to make X amount of power. Even a dirty injector will usually make roughly the same power overall. But a purpose built quality product will idle smoother and net better economy at part throttle.

Dave
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM

that's good stuff guys but if some one still said, hey I got a set of injectors that flow 250cc of fuel, I would not have a clue as to size that would be. So can any one tell me the cc of stock and Mach 4 and same form hole size. If I can get this answer it will give me a guild line to fall back on. I understand what you are saying in the fact that just because it has a high flow rate doesn't mean it will have more power and that spray pattern and atmation has a big part in power.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM

any one else?