Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector differences and cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Injector differences and cost

I'm almost in the market for some injectors, and I have a few questions. Why is there such a price difference between the Bosch 275's and "aftermarket" injectors like DD2's? Are the other injectors worth the big difference in price?? I've been hearing really good things about EDM's but I haven't found any prices or places to buy them. Also, will and how much will different injectors raise my EGT?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:44 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'll throw in my 2c:
Any kind of aftermarket injector is produced in much smaller batches than the Bosch 275, and will include more labour per unit and also more research and development to write off per unit. Naturally it will be more expensive.
Basically there are two ways to make a high perf. injector.
A: Take a stock injector and make the holes bigger by pressing abrasive "clay" through it.
You keep the original number of holes and the angles etc. The form of the holes will influence spray pattern and fuel atomisation, and therefore the burn of the fuel.
B: Take an injector tip without any holes in it and "drill" your own holes. Now you have complete control over size, number, angle etc. Since you have so many more options here it will need much more research to do things right, but you'll have greater opportunities too. Also it's more work and machine costs per injector. So price is still a bit higher than for extrude honed.
I got my DonM EDMs from Wildcatdiesel. PushRod, DonM, and Scotty are members here. I'd PM them or call them for a quote. (I think there are other EDM makers too, but I don't have experience with them.)
A bigger injector means more fuel-more heat. So if you go bigger you'll have A: to supply air to burn the fuel and B: you'll have to get rid of the heat. So, depending on your use of the truck, size and type of injector etc you'll maybe have to look for a bigger turbo, exhaust, air system etc. If you go wild you'll also overpower the stock clutch.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 PM

I understand about the costs of research and such. The aftermarket injectors usually cost at least 2 times more than the 275's. Am I going to get that much more power, and quality control from an EDM or DD or similiar? I was worried about the clutch too. The 5 speed has been holding the EZ without any problem, but i'm thinking injectors may put it over the top. I know people running ez's and 275's on the stock clutch, but I think I may want something more than 275's. I may just wait till I have the $ for injectors and clutch.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:08 PM

On my '02 I am running an EZ and BD 50HP injectors. I can slip the clutch of I want but if I keep my foot out of it on low rpm high boost situations it'l hold just fine. I dont know the clutch differences between the 5 & 6 speeds. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally posted by erics76
I understand about the costs of research and such. The aftermarket injectors usually cost at least 2 times more than the 275's. Am I going to get that much more power, and quality control from an EDM or DD or similiar? I was worried about the clutch too. The 5 speed has been holding the EZ without any problem, but i'm thinking injectors may put it over the top. I know people running ez's and 275's on the stock clutch, but I think I may want something more than 275's. I may just wait till I have the $ for injectors and clutch.
At least with DonMs Mach3s you will get lots of power and low end grunt. You will need to mod your clutch to take full advantage of them. The fun thing is that from all injectora I tested the DonM stuff gave me the widest usable powerband. I don't quite understand people who will buy big injectors and boxes etc only to have to keep their foot off the pedal to make the rest of the powertrain survive. To me usable hp is what I can put on the ground without my eyes fixed to the instruments. If you want to pull a trailer or the like I'd go for an edge comp or the like to have in cab adjustability. Sometimes you'll want to reduce the power and the responsiveness for example in rain or snow.
I'd say that getting Mach3s, a nice turbo (Dodgezilla hybrid for the non-towing or maybe a KSB1B) a good clutch and an Edge Comp will make you the dearest buddy of your local tire dealer.

AlpineRAM
Old 01-22-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by ramcummins
On my '02 I am running an EZ and BD 50HP injectors. I can slip the clutch of I want but if I keep my foot out of it on low rpm high boost situations it'l hold just fine. I dont know the clutch differences between the 5 & 6 speeds. Good luck.
On the 3500 in my sig, I put my EZ on it for a day just to see how it would be. I could slip the clutch pulling an empty 20 foot cattle trailer! I didn't like that, so I unplugged it the rest of the day. They say the 5600 clutches are all different as to how well they hold. Mine was not too good. I know there are people who disagree with this, but I've heard from many people, and experienced myself, that the 5 speed clutch will hold a little more than the 6 speed.

Alpine, I'm looking something a little milder than that, I definately don't want to change turbos. Probably some Mach 1 or 2's. Something in that range. That's why I'm not sure if I would need a high priced injector when the 275's might be fine, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
JR2

I don't know when you last looked at the price of RV275 injectors, but the prices went up about 6 weeks ago. They now run $600 + and add about 45 hp +/-. You would be much better off with a set of 1.5 edm's or DD2's.

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 PM

I checked a couple of places that had them for around $300. Maybe they hadn't updated. How much do a set of 1.5 EDM's cost?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 PM

FWIW - I've had both the RV275s and the EDM2s . They are both fun, but the EDM2s are a bit more fun. Very little smoke, heat doesn't seem to be an issue and you can feel the difference.

IMO If you can swing it go bigger the first time! You'll enjoy either one - but you might enjoy the EDMs a little longer.

Good luck,

George