Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector/charger for sunday driver/occasional towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector/charger for sunday driver/occasional towing

Just replaced the ho vp44 at 103k with a so vp44 from I.I. I swapped the exuast, fass pump, edge comp, gauges, intake and modified c series water cooled turbo (that I got from a local shade tree mech) from my previous truck (2001 5spd). I was disappointed in the power of the comp on the ho truck compared to the same mods on my old so truck. Even with the new so vp on the 02 truck it will spool my charger to about 32psi with the comp on 5x5. The same setup lit up pretty quick to 41psi in the 01 so truck.
I can only keep the 02 so it will have to occasionally pull a 10k trailer for short distances.
I still want all the power I can have so my question is, are the 02 ho factory injectors more restrictive that the factory 01 so sticks? And what injector/charger do I want to get the most I can get and still pull?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

sorry for being long winded... this is my first post, i'm just realizing i have an addiction to hp.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Long wind! HA! You've not yet begun to bloviate, my friend! I know, I'm the resident king of long-winded posts (hate to toot my own horn, but it's not something to brag about, and I think most people here would agree).

The HO injectors are smaller and more restrictive than the SO injectors. (I have numbers of 200 vs 240 in my head, but I have no idea why or if that means anything)

If you want to tow reliably shoot for 350hp or so. Your Comp should get you there with some RV275 injectors.

Towing is more a function of turbo selection than injector size. The wrong turbo can give you super high towing EGTs with stock injectors.

I don't know if you are budgeting for a new turbo or not, but the Garrett BB turbos are what I'm personally looking at the closest. The stg 2 will spool really fast and should support over 400hp.

The stage 3 Garrett has made almost 500hp and spools very well.

Hi Tech Turbo sells these Garretts for about $1400, and at that price point I consider them to be a STEAL.

JMO
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the 411 Hohn... I'm definately swapping the turbo soon... my goal is a set of towing twins and around 550hp. I just don't want to spend money on upgrades that will eventually need to be swapped out later. Can i get a single charger and set of sticks that wouldn't get in the way someday when i can setup the compounds? could i turn the comp off and pull on occasion with a set of 150's and a 62/12 without getting too hot, then add more air later on?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM

buy a phat shaft 62 and some 275's or some 3 flows (80-90 horse) injectors and it will keep you plenty cool and when you do decide to go with some twins use the ps 62 as your top charger.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by bareconst
Thanks for the 411 Hohn... I'm definately swapping the turbo soon... my goal is a set of towing twins and around 550hp. I just don't want to spend money on upgrades that will eventually need to be swapped out later. Can i get a single charger and set of sticks that wouldn't get in the way someday when i can setup the compounds? could i turn the comp off and pull on occasion with a set of 150's and a 62/12 without getting too hot, then add more air later on?
I think lots of us have similar goals.

It's nice to be able to turn down the power and tow, but it's not that easy. It's simply because you can't turn down the turbo also. A 62/12 will tow nicely with only some injectors, but the minute you crank up the boxes (even empty) you are going to have some seriously toasty EGTs. Also, you can't go too big on the injectors or you'll get hot even with the boxes off when towing.

I'd say that 150hp injectors would be completely towable with the boxes off, provided your turbo has enough spoolup on the bottom end-- look for 30psi by 2000rpm and you can pull almost anything.

With the turbos, it's an endless compromise between spoolup (read: towing ability) and horsepower support. That's why I think the ultimate test of a turbo setup is towing heavy loads at elevated hp levels in higher elevations. If a turbo setup can keep EGTs in check at 400hp cruising at 2K rpm at 6000ft with a decent load behind you, then you have about the ultimate in towing performance. Unfortunately, a setup like this is not only unrealistic, but incredibly inefficient because you're generating a lot more air than you need when conditions aren't so extreme.

You can PM member David Dunbar (DavidTD) who runs an HTT SS62 turbo on his truck at about 475hp and he's very pleased with it. He actually had twins and took them off to go to this setup.

Justin
Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Justin...

I've looked at the garrett bb turbos, a friend of mine actually has the stage 3. You said i can get the kit for $1400? Or just the turbo? Wouldn't i need the kit for the water cooled c section?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copy my sig & you will love the towability & still put 500hp+ on the dyno. I tow 15k# through mountains of WV, PA with no egt issues & only see 1300* wot. I love this combo!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 PM

How does your buddy like his stageIII garret? What are his mods and how hot does his egt's get? How fast is the spool up? A lot of us on here are interested in these turbo's, but theres almost no one running them, hense, no feedback on them.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Copy my sig & you will love the towability & still put 500hp+ on the dyno. I tow 15k# through mountains of WV, PA with no egt issues & only see 1300* wot. I love this combo!
About how much that ss62 run new? Is that the same as the sps62/71/13ss. if not, which is better every day driver
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bareconst
Justin...

I've looked at the garrett bb turbos, a friend of mine actually has the stage 3. You said i can get the kit for $1400? Or just the turbo? Wouldn't i need the kit for the water cooled c section?
HTT quoted me $1400 for the whole kit...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 PM

Oh No...My Friends first post and Justin Lights into him

Bare, Hohn Wasnt Kidding about being long winded! Just wanted to welcome ya to our online hangout!

Back to topic now!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM

L+N! I've still got your knife... I've thought about it, and I'll trade it back to you for a autometer cobalt fuel pressure gauge and a triple pod pillar w/ the speaker hole. J/k, let me know when you get them in and I'll come see ya. What do you think about the garret bb's? Didn't those chargers start out with a $2200 price tag? I know a guy that runs one, he says it spools faster than the ps62/12 he had. It looks tiny compared to any turbo I've ever seen.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM

Yep, Thats retail but no once else is adhearing to alot of the MAP Pricing why should the rest of the industry? You Stuff will be here probably tommorow... Good trade out too , considering that knifes a $60.00 knife

All jokes aside , I like the idea of a garrett , also like the idea of a 62/12 or 62/14 ! Map sensor issue fixed? I'll do some checking Call me sometime tommorow , we'll go from there! If i answer with obsceneties, I'm still on the 6.5 Chevy BURB
Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 PM

I cleaned all the harness connections with copper solvent and greased them with de-ox, cleared the codes and so far no engine lite or limp mode (knock on wood). I'm still amazed by the difference in power between this truck and the same setup on my old 01 5sp... I've thought about it alot, the only difference in the two are the factory injectors in the 01 and 02. Is that really enough to account for 10psi loss in peak boost pressure? I've wondered if I may have a leak in the Intake somewhere???

Quick Reply: injector/charger for sunday driver/occasional towing