Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injector ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:51 PM
CJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector ?

I am looking at getting some Jammer III nozzles. I have heard that you need to have your injectors tested after installing the new nozzles. Could someone give me the correct termiology to use when I contact my local diesel shop (Oregon Fuel Injection). I don't know what tests need to be done.
Also I plan on adding a Van Aaken around the same time and need to know if this set up will work for towing and not be too hot.
Thanks,
CJ
Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 PM

City Diesel, www.citydiesel.net, sells complete Jammer injectors already tested for around $300-$400. I have never dealt with them, and also have never had it explained to me how they can sell them for that price when everyone else seems to want over twice as much. There may be some difference in them but it isn't apparent.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 PM

I just bought some J III nozzles from accuautoparts.com for $207

check them, and the nozzles were an easy install
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Edge Jammer Injectors 03

I have a Dodge 03 SO Auto 4x4 HD, w/Edge EZ set on level #3, new torque tube, 4 in. Flo-Thro muffler. If I install stage 2 Edge jammers, is this a good combo? I pull a 5 th wheel camper, and a GN 20x8 ft dump trailer. Don't want a race machine! Thanks. javahjoeo from Kokomo.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 PM

The injectors he's talking about are for 2nd Gen, '98.5-'02 trucks. Your '03 is a totally different injector.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:49 PM

CJ, tell your Bosch guy that you want the pop pressures tested and adjusted for 310 bar.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
CJ

Thanks KLockliear.....anybody know if these injectors w/a van aaken will be too hot for mild towing w/ a stock turbo? CJ
Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Well I have the J III nozzles and an EZ. IM seeing about 33-35#'s of boost and my EGTs have not gotten above 1200*. I have not towed anything and have not made a WOT run past 75mph. The install was fairly easy, Do your research on here. I did not have mine pop tested, and I think the result is a little rougher idle. Every 4-5 seconds it will lope. Once I get the RPM's up to 1000 then everything is smooth as silk. It is a great combo for me, I didnt want to change the stock clutch(dont know how it will hold towing) and I didnt want to change the stock turbo. I have found out the the right foot controls EGT's and how the clutch gets treated so I figured to skip the rv275's and make a little bit of a jump. Very happy with the results.

Jamie
Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Registered

you really dont need them pop tested. ive installed two sets of jammer nozzles and havent pop tested either set and they work great. if you test them they will perform a little bit better but theres going to be so big of an increase anyways you wont know the difference. pop testing is a waste of time and money. they tolled me that more than 90% of jammers installed are not tested IMO
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM

how much does this pop testing usually cost?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by micah
how much does this pop testing usually cost?

It depends where you go and if you have the injectors out of the truck. If you take just the injectors in, some shops will do it for free. Most of the shops around here charge from $5 to $10 per injector.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
you really dont need them pop tested. ive installed to sets of jammer nozzles and havent pop tested either set and they work great. if you test them they will perform a little bit better but theres going to be so big of an increase anyways you wont know the difference. pop testing is a waste of time and money IMO
That is extremely bad advice. Gotta love the internet for all kinds of information I suppose.

The whole point behind pop testing the injectors is to balance the set to inject fuel at the same point for each cylinder. If one cylinder is lower than the other, it effectively changes the timing for that one cylinder.

When you are installing nozzles into used bodies, the springs can have a different amount of pressure, which may require different shims. Maybe some people get lucky and they go right in without having to be set differently, and maybe some don't. If you're spending money on the truck, just make sure you do the job right.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:17 AM
CJ

Thanks guys, I will have them tested just for peace of mind if nothing else. After spending 30k on the truck whats another $50-60? CJ
Old 02-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLockliear
That is extremely bad advice. Gotta love the internet for all kinds of information I suppose.

The whole point behind pop testing the injectors is to balance the set to inject fuel at the same point for each cylinder. If one cylinder is lower than the other, it effectively changes the timing for that one cylinder.

When you are installing nozzles into used bodies, the springs can have a different amount of pressure, which may require different shims. Maybe some people get lucky and they go right in without having to be set differently, and maybe some don't. If you're spending money on the truck, just make sure you do the job right.
Looks to me like you have had bad results by installing nozzles on injectors in a cummins that have not been pop tested. Could you tell me what kind of engine damage you have experienced? On your truck or somebody else's. I want physical proof that this will damage an engine. Not none of this coulda shoulda woulda crap.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Never said it will damage the engine, but then again, we don't test the opposite of the right way just to see what we can damage.

Inconsistent, low or high pop pressures can cause the following: it may run rough, idle inconsistently, make more noise at idle and make less power than it could.

Quick Reply: injector ?