Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Info on spraying line-x/rhino lining on rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Info on spraying line-x/rhino lining on rockers

I spoke to an official Line-x dealer yesterday about spraying the rocker panels. They were'nt one of the garages spraying operations, they have done 10,000 liners so far. They said they don't do rocker panel applications anymore. They used to and they had to charge $1500 to do it. I guess they have to make X amount of dollars every day, and with the prep work and spraying time, it takes about 8 hours to do. Since they have such high pressure, to do it right, you have to put the truck on a lift so that you don't get too close and disrupt the spray pattern, to get the bottom of the rockers. He also said that if I do get someone to do it, to watch and make sure that they tape everything off in the interior and door jambs. He had a pinhole in his plastic once and the liner broke through and ruined the interior when he was spraying a door jamb.

Sooooooo, if you are thinking about getting your rocker's sprayed, make sure you do it soon AND make sure you get the guarantee in WRITING, otherwise you could be out quite a bit. I am planning on applying a speedliner myself. The black kit costs about $290, but it is enough to do a lot more than your rocker panels. I am also looking at some on ebay, it looks like it is the exact same as Speedliner, only factory direct. It is also only sprayed at 50psi, vs. the line-x which was 300psi.
I dropped by a place and checked out the Speedliner. This crap is tough! and it bonds like nobody's business!!! They showed me some overspray on the walls. Then they took a grinder to it and it ate the 36 grit grinder wheel away Didn't chip off the wall or anything. So it is definitely tough!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 PM

Is there any bodymen here??

What are the options other than spray on bed liner?? (I have the S.S> rockers and they are coming off)....
Old 03-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Sounds like a bunch of hooy. Line-x here does it all the time for i think $250.00. No more prep work than doing the over the rail liner in the box. Still have to tape it off either way.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM

I asked last month how much in Spokane and was told $650 due to the prep involved if you wait till summer it will be $800 due to the pressure. BTW we saved $200 by spraying our new truck liner in january, them boys were eager for the work then!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:53 PM

I have pics in my gallery.

They charged me 900 to do the bed over the rails and the rockers. I think the breakdown was 500 for the bed and 400 for the rockers. The price also reflects mt quad cab 8 foot bed. They said the price was a little higher due to the prep work involved. To do the box they have a fairly simple syatem but to prep the rockers and mask the whole side of the truck is more involved.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:17 PM

So do their prep work for them. How hard would it be to tape it all off before you take it to them. For the money you would save, you could buy a hell of a lot of tape and do it right. May even look into the 24" wide tape the paint shops use.
When I had my wifes Durango painted, there was countless hours of tapework involved and that was the majority of the cost. But by watching them and learning I now know that when my boat goes in this summer for some custom paint, I am doing most of the layout myself before I take it to them.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:10 PM

IMO, the key here is that the place that I spoke to guarantees everything they do. This means LIFETIME. Now, I'm definitely not saying that it can't be done cheaper, but I don't see how places are quoting $250 or whatever they are! The guy I talked to told me right away if I want it done cheaper to call the smallest sprayer I could find. I told him what people were getting it done on here and he can't believe they are making anything. He said that materials were raised to about $200 per application now. He said materials has slowly but steadily been getting more expensive. Everything he said was honest, and he wasn't afraid to tell me how to get it done cheaper. He said that on such a long, smooth swipe that the applicator has to be good or you will see where the thickness changes. If I could get a guaranteed application for $250, I'd be all over it. Chances are they either aren't going to be around long, or the price is going to go up. The cheapest I found around my area was over $500. I'm going to get my own spray gun and kit and try to spray a bed myself, then I'll do my rockers.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

Let's see... in Colorado it took two $10 illegal aliens less that 1 hour to sand, tape off, and spray on a perfect over the rail, spray on bedliner on my truck for a grand total of $500. Sounds like Line-X doesn't have enough competition!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Just a few months ago I priced doing this, too. I got quotes from $200 to around $500. They pretty much all told me the same thing. Taping is what takes the longest but at that it didnt take but a few hours. The spray dries very fast so that part is quick. The special tape is what gives the defined edge lines you see but thats because it has wire in it. I guess it cuts right through the stuff before it totally dries? Not sure. But I was warned of one thing, DONT do it in colors. Black only. Colors have proven themselves unable to stand the sun and fade to funny shades. For instance red (what I was after) might turn pink or purple.

Does anyone have any pictures of trucks with this done?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:28 PM

I plan on doing gray. I figure that if the gray fades a little bit it won't look bad. If I got black and it faded it would just look awful. I found some stuff on the internet that has tiny ground up kevlar shards in it, along with a little bit of rubber. I emailed them about UV rays. Does anybody know of a good UV protector just to make sure they don't fade? Might have to bust out the SPF40
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

Anyone know how to make the black look good after a couple years in the sun? Was told they sell a spray but it is pricey. I can go buy a couple gallons of Armour All and broom it in I guess lol
Old 03-05-2005, 12:12 AM

Got an old truck of mine done years ago with the Rhino had the rockers sprayed back when spray in liners were the new hip thing. They quoted like 150 clams to do it, ended up taking all day when they originally said only a couple of hours. He said that he would never do another rocker spray that cheap again - said he lost his butt on that deal because of all the taping and masking they ended up having to do so it does not surprise me they want an absorbant amount to do it but I know back then (early 90's) that the guy I was talking to said he would not do another one for under 500 because of all the labor involved. Now I talked to a shop here just after Christmas and they said $400 to do the rockers and my fiberglass running boards with Rhino. I have a linex liner and took in the tailgate to get it Rhino'd (tail gate was not done on this truck for some odd reason - I'm 3rd owner). They were hurting for work so that might be why they quoted only 400.

I would say shop around and see what other shops say before wiring off the project and doing it yourself. I have seen some of the DIY jobs and have not been impressed with them.