Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Industrial Injection Hot Rod Vp44

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industrial Injection Hot Rod Vp44

Just installed a II Hot Rod VP44 pump on my buddy's 2000 dually. Finished the installed and started truck and all seemed fine, idles fine, throttle blip good, and let it idle outside for about 15 minutes, checked for any leaks or problems before going for a test drive.
Took it out and crusied down the highway about 15 miles at 55-60 mph, just crusing. Then turned around and did a fairly hard run thru the gears and then let off to come to a stop. With the clutch in the truck died, so I pulled off the road as much as possible to check things out. I found nothing, so I tried to restart, it took quite a few key cycles to finally get it to restart. It acted like it was out of fuel and needed to be reprimed.
So I take off again and all seems normal, so I run it again thru the gears(this time not as hard, just a good pull) this time when I coast to a stop it is still running but only on 4-5 cylinders. So I blip the throttle just once and then it comes back to a perfect idle? Also note: none of this happened with the STOCK orginal VP44. The only thing that has changed it the Injection Pump.
So I call II and explain my problems that I am having, talked with Brett Williams. He told me that the problem is probably the injectors having to high of a pop off. The injectors are DDP 200hp. He said that they probably pop off at 4500psi and their pumps are set at 4200psi? Not sure why that affects it because it never did it with the stock VP.

Has anyone every had any problems with their trucks doing this, just doesn't make since to me? And I don't really think that this would make a good pullilng combination, run wide open down track and push in clutch and the motor dies! Any feed back would be great!

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snoxracer
Just installed a II Hot Rod VP44 pump on my buddy's 2000 dually. Finished the installed and started truck and all seemed fine, idles fine, throttle blip good, and let it idle outside for about 15 minutes, checked for any leaks or problems before going for a test drive.
Took it out and crusied down the highway about 15 miles at 55-60 mph, just crusing. Then turned around and did a fairly hard run thru the gears and then let off to come to a stop. With the clutch in the truck died, so I pulled off the road as much as possible to check things out. I found nothing, so I tried to restart, it took quite a few key cycles to finally get it to restart. It acted like it was out of fuel and needed to be reprimed.
So I take off again and all seems normal, so I run it again thru the gears(this time not as hard, just a good pull) this time when I coast to a stop it is still running but only on 4-5 cylinders. So I blip the throttle just once and then it comes back to a perfect idle? Also note: none of this happened with the STOCK orginal VP44. The only thing that has changed it the Injection Pump.
So I call II and explain my problems that I am having, talked with Brett Williams. He told me that the problem is probably the injectors having to high of a pop off. The injectors are DDP 200hp. He said that they probably pop off at 4500psi and their pumps are set at 4200psi? Not sure why that affects it because it never did it with the stock VP.

Has anyone every had any problems with their trucks doing this, just doesn't make since to me? And I don't really think that this would make a good pullilng combination, run wide open down track and push in clutch and the motor dies! Any feed back would be great!

Thanks,

Dustin
Try cracking the injector lines 1 or 2 at a time, start the truck, then tighten the lines back up. Repeat the process with the other ones as well. There may just be air in the lines.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM

I actually had to cracked the lines to get it started, but I really don't think that it the issue becasue when it does the rough idle all I have to do is blip the throttle and it will run smooth as normal.
I'm not saying that it is not getting air in the lines, I just am able to blip the throttle to get it out. But why is the pump cavitating (What II said was happening becasue the injectors were to high of a pop off)????

Thanks for the reply, keep them coming!!!

Dustin
Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Welcome to the "Big Injector Syndrome". It's normal... Next time just let the clutch out while coasting and it will jumpstart the truck. Works great for the standard transmission trucks. Save you cracking the lines and priming the truck forever...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Welcome to the "Big Injector Syndrome". It's normal... Next time just let the clutch out while coasting and it will jumpstart the truck. Works great for the standard transmission trucks. Save you cracking the lines and priming the truck forever...

Thats what I have been doing to get it going(letting the clutch out), but if it was the BIG INJECTOR Syndrome why didn't it do it with the stock VP44?

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 PM

My 01' did it with a SO, HO and a HRVP 44 with Mach 4's and Mach 6's so I can't really answer your question there???
It didn't do it with smaller 80hp injectors.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM

What box is he running? When I ran jammer 5's (150hp) injectors and an Edge Drag Comp, and would come into it hard then let out to coast to a stop it would quit. Then went to what I have now: DDP 200's and thw Quad Adren., and haven't had it had happen so far except for once when I changed the tune from the Comp1 to the Comp2. I changed back and it is fine. Basically I am going to say it has to do with how "aggressive" your boxs or programming is, how hard it is telling the pump to fuel. Cause the Comp2 tune felt more aggressive than the Comp1. It's just what I think.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Hi i had a proplem like that I install jammer 3s .I just bought the nozzles and had the injector lab at work install the nozzles on the stock bodys they set the poping pressure to 4700 psi the truck would run fine untill I ran it hard come to a stop a but the clutch in and the engine would die.I pulled them back out and set the popping pressure to 4000 psi now it runs fine.I have a so pump.but if it does not want to start sounds like air.Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the replys!

He is running an Edge Comp drag or Hot and that is all. I just don't understand why it wouldn't do it with the stock pump, but now does it with the HRVP44.

Thanks,

Dustin
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
My 01' did it with a SO, HO and a HRVP 44 with Mach 4's and Mach 6's so I can't really answer your question there???
It didn't do it with smaller 80hp injectors.
I must be lucky I have never had this happen to my truck. Maybe it has to do with the 30psi I am feeding the VP44??
Old 02-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Chapter President

I had big problems running the HRVP on my truck, and that is with everything stock minus the Edge EZ. The truck ran great at first, nice increase in power, but after awhile it started "pulsing" at idle, sort of a "rhump-rhump-rhump" sound, couldn't pull worth a darn. I had it replaced with a stock one. THe shop I had it done at tried my HRVP on another truck and it ran fine. I.I .also tested the pump and it worked fine. The shop owner said that sometimes the HRVP's mesh with your computer really well and there are no problems, othertimes they don't and you have funky results. I went back to the stock VP, don't miss the HRVP at all.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by bigd450
I must be lucky I have never had this happen to my truck. Maybe it has to do with the 30psi I am feeding the VP44??
Could be. I was feeding the VP44 13 psi with my FASS at thhat time???
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I had big problems running the HRVP on my truck, and that is with everything stock minus the Edge EZ. The truck ran great at first, nice increase in power, but after awhile it started "pulsing" at idle, sort of a "rhump-rhump-rhump" sound, couldn't pull worth a darn. I had it replaced with a stock one. THe shop I had it done at tried my HRVP on another truck and it ran fine. I.I .also tested the pump and it worked fine. The shop owner said that sometimes the HRVP's mesh with your computer really well and there are no problems, othertimes they don't and you have funky results. I went back to the stock VP, don't miss the HRVP at all.
I got sick of my HRVP44 really quick!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

I think it is becouse the hot rod pump pushes more fuel than the stock one thats why it didnt do it with the stock pump
Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rhino660
I think it is becouse the hot rod pump pushes more fuel than the stock one thats why it didnt do it with the stock pump
Where is it pushing more fuel? Don't we buy these things becasue they are supposed to work better? I don't notice any difference in power and now I have a friends truck that dies after a short pull?

And why does reducing the snap-off pressure on the injectors make this go away? If this is the case then I have to believe that the pump can't pump enough pressure to open the injector when air is introduced into the system from cavitation of the pump.

Why didn't it do it with the stock VP.

Just frustrating!

Thanks for the help guys!

Dustin