Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Incredible MPG! What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incredible MPG! What are you getting?

Even with my truck being all stock except FRRP, 50% dirty air filter (I'm getting aftermarket intake soon) and having 4.10 gears I have been averaging 21 mpg with about 75% highway, 25% city driving. Even going 75-80mph, climbing 3000ft elevation with 2000lbs of motorcycles, gear, fuel, etc. I averaged 20.5 mpg! This is all hand calculated. I'm just really impressed and didnt expect this kind of fuel economy from a 3+ ton truck. Anyone else get these numbers or better?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 PM

didn't you just have to put on a new VP-44. MPG slowly tanks as a VP slowly dies. It's amazing how a good running stock truck on a new VP will run.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
didn't you just have to put on a new VP-44. MPG slowly tanks as a VP slowly dies. It's amazing how a good running stock truck on a new VP will run.
I thought my VP44 died, but fortunately it was alright.

I was running two fuel pumps simultaneously (FRRP at the engine block and the Dodge-installed lift pump in the tank wired to a switch in the cab). Apparently what happened is the lift pump in the tank failed because of the force of fuel being pulled through it (this is my inference, I'm not certain). When it failed it blocked fuel completely and didn't allow any fuel to get to the injector pump, which stopped the truck from running but didn't harm the injector pump.

You can probably imagine how happy I was when I got the call from Diesel Injection Service in Colton, CA where I had it towed, saying I only owed them $400 for diagnostic and removing the in-tank pump, when I had expected to drop $1800 for a new VP.

I am now equipped with a Fuel pressure gauge in the cab that I closely monitor, but I don't expect any problems now that I dont have the precarious dual lift pump and switch set up
Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hallio217
I thought my VP44 died, but fortunately it was alright.

<snipped>

I am now equipped with a Fuel pressure gauge in the cab that I closely monitor, but I don't expect any problems now that I dont have the precarious dual lift pump and switch set up
OK then, give us the numbers (fuel pressure, that is) so we can all share in your joy! Oh, and congrats on dodging that major $$$$ bite in the wallet!

Cheers!

Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 02:17 PM

I went from 7 psi idle and 0 psi full throttle with the old lift pump to 16psi @ idle and 12 psi WOT with the FRRP
Old 03-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
2wd's really do well in the mpg's.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I went from 7 psi idle and 0 psi full throttle with the old lift pump to 16psi @ idle and 12 psi WOT with the FRRP
An impressive improvement in fuel pressure for sure! Good on ya and enjoy! Keep an eye on your pressures now and take it easy on those WOT's (hard on the wallet!)

Cheers!

Mike

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Not bad.

Stock sized tires?

Have you checked the speedometer for correct calibration against a gps?

I got great mpg across Wyoming a few years back and realized at around 4K feet above sea level I'm pushing a lot less air!!

Larger injectors can net you even more mpg if you can keep your foot out of it...
Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Not bad.

Stock sized tires?

Have you checked the speedometer for correct calibration against a gps?

I got great mpg across Wyoming a few years back and realized at around 4K feet above sea level I'm pushing a lot less air!!

Larger injectors can net you even more mpg if you can keep your foot out of it...
Yes I have stock sized tires (265/75R-16). I havent checked speedo with GPS but have compared trip odometer with map distances and they have been the same
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Dad's neighbor gets about 23 with his 97 4X4...

The 2014's get about 10 so you are way ahead of the curve!!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd read where the DEF equipped CTD's are getting outstanding mileage. The owner of the shop I use just returned from Texas. Dodge's everywhere. He spoke to a 2014 C&C 2wd owner who's exceeding 20+ freeway consistently.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mike L
OK then, give us the numbers (fuel pressure, that is) so we can all share in your joy! Oh, and congrats on dodging that major $$$$ bite in the wallet!

Cheers!

Mike
New numbers. Turns out the truck was due for a fuel filter change. It wasnt terribly dirty but definitely dark. I also realized my FRRP wasnt turned up nearly all the way. I gave her another 1/4 turn clockwise and the idle pressure was up to 22psi! I turned it down to 18 psi until I get this darn fuel leak fixed. (It is at the threads of the T-fitting for the fuel pressure gauge). Sealant is drying on them now, hopefully that will do the trick!

What was most noticeable with the new fuel filter is how much less the fuel pressure drops when on the throttle!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM

New numbers. Turns out the truck was due for a fuel filter change. It wasnt terribly dirty but definitely dark. I also realized my FRRP wasnt turned up nearly all the way. I gave her another 1/4 turn clockwise and the idle pressure was up to 22psi! I turned it down to 18 psi until I get this darn fuel leak fixed. (It is at the threads of the T-fitting for the fuel pressure gauge). Sealant is drying on them now, hopefully that will do the trick!

What was most noticeable with the new fuel filter is how much less the fuel pressure drops when on the throttle!
sealant?? I have never seen sealant used. on all my T-style fittings they were barb/push on style. no sealant used. what type of t fitting do you have. take a pic.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM

I'm averaging about 16 city / 19 hwy in my 01.

Edge JWA set on 5/5, cruise control 65mph on hwy
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
I'd read where the DEF equipped CTD's are getting outstanding mileage. The owner of the shop I use just returned from Texas. Dodge's everywhere. He spoke to a 2014 C&C 2wd owner who's exceeding 20+ freeway consistently.
Everyone around here is griping about the poor mileage of all three new diesels...
Where did you read that? I know that a few who have deleted the emissions are getting near that, but on modified trucks.

Hallio, w/o the need, 16 psi is plenty of fuel pressure and 9 or better at WOT is more than efficient. Too much pressure is not good for a vp44...

Quick Reply: Incredible MPG! What are you getting?