Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

increased turbo boost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question increased turbo boost?

I have a question for all you turbo gurus out there. I just got done upgrading trans and installed guages. In the next week i am installing a banks big hoss diesel tuner, their monster exhaust and high ram intake manifold,and a exhaust brake. My question is that the big hoss diesel tuner is very similar to an edge EZ and the EZ comes with a brass elbow to increase boost. I have a 2002 auto and this cannot be used. I have seen on the DTR tech facts that on the hard line wastegate actuators you install a restrictor and drill a hole in the line with a # 62 drill bit. Does anyone know what the hole size in the restrictor is ,and app. what amount of boost is created. At the moment i run about 17 psi max boost and want to get about 29-30 when i am done. I don't want to turnbuckle the wastegate shut either. Any ideas greatly appreciated Tony
Old 07-17-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weelllll, I will be the first to ask..... Can you get your money back on the Bank's tuner and high ram intake? Common consensus is you can do better for less, with much better customer service and support. There is more more practical and anecdotal reasons for my question than I will go into here, as it is elsewhere on the DTR and other boards.

There are also a couple of ways to get more out of your HY, such as the .22 short cap method! Honestly, have you thought about an upgraded turbo?

Good luck and have fun!

Matt
Old 07-17-2004, 10:16 AM

Forget about the high ram. Total waste, in my opinion. Dont know anything about the tuner.

Zino
Old 07-17-2004, 10:49 AM

tg,,,,on mine,,what i did is to pull the hardline out of the housing,and run a tight fitting screw (with no head on it)up inside the line towards the actuator(about 1.5 inch long),the boost will then run the threads around it which serves as a restrictor.i then used a saddle valve piercing the hardline between the restriction and the actuator to use for a bleed off ....i have read on here numerous times of the .22 shell deal people post about,but a .22 shell won`t fit in the hardline at all,even grinding it down to a smaller diameter to paper thin,,it wont even come close to fitting.....i tried several different boost levels,and the coolest i could keep it was when at 38lbs of boost.i played with it from 28lbs all the way to 46lbs.i dont know anything about compressor maps,but i know that it helped egt`s out at 38 better than it did at the low 30`s as some people say.......bama
Old 07-17-2004, 12:50 PM

Bama

All CTD's engines are a little different, I guess.

On mine, with an EZ and DD2's I could feel (at full throttle) the HP curve flatten out right at 34-35 psi boost. Engine keep reving, Boost kept climbing but acceration dropped right off. Always assumed that was the top edge of the hy-35 MAP?

RJ
Old 07-18-2004, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the replys. The reason i am going with the Banks stuff is that i got a swinging deal through them with 1/2 off. Couldn't beat the deal and i know everyone says they can be expensive but i have used their stuff before and feel comfortable with them. I like the screw in the hard line trick or, i thought about using some kind of plug handy but shouldn't you drill some kind of hole in it to let some boost in? Are you saying to plug it off completely? The tuner seems to be similar to the Edge EZ,as it does not tap the pump wire like their Ottomind does. It also is claiming about 70 Hp and 180 Ft lbs torque or close to it with "recommended air flow improvements". Tony
Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 PM

you wouldnt want to plug it off completely,if you did that,you wouldnt have any wastegate.if you were to use a plug,,you would need to drill some size hole through the plug(not sure what size).then between the restrictor and the actuator,you`ll have to make a hole to atmosphere to bleed off boost....the screw as a restrictor lets the boost run the threads around it to continue on to the actuator.........bama
Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 PM

I understand what your saying. I will try it and let you know how it works. Tony
Old 07-18-2004, 11:29 PM

TG.....why not get a boost controller?? I think it is turbomatic or something like that....they are in the performance section of the links page. they have a manual boost controller for the HY35. That way you can make adjustments rather than dinking around with screw threads and drilling different sized holes and a hole bunch of fabrication. I think that the boost controllers are a measily 60 bucks. Saves alot of time with tomfoolery and such. Just my 0.02
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 PM

ramtd02, I did look at the turbomaster,but i have an extra wastegate actuator i can experiment with and i am tapped out at the moment for another part. I just dropped some serious money on the upgrades the last two months,and the wife is starting to seriously misunderstanding!
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 PM

ahh ic ic....the dreaded money monster (aka the wife)