Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

If Mach 1.6s are clean, whats smokey?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Mach 1.6s are clean, whats smokey?

Just put the 1.6s in. Much impressed. Good idle. More power, from clutch engagment to redline.

Its crazy how little you have to put your foot into it and you just go.

I am getting my OFE put in tomarrow so I didn't give it hell. Just a few little bursts. And wow, I'm impressed. What a difference. I have the Juice on 1x3 and it goes like a bat out of hell. Smokes like a banshee, when you give it to her. Definitely a noticeable diff over just the Juice. Which I don't mind, the smoke is cool. No smoke under normal driving though.

But, if these are a clean set of injectors, a smokey set must be bad!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:22 PM

O ya, forgot

EGTs only seem about 50-100 degrees hotter when I'm on it hard. And seem cooler when cruising(because my foot isn't into it as much).

Also, fuel pressure seems 1-2 lbs higher. Was at 13-14 idling, now it holds 15. Seems 1 higher going down the road too.

I did the injectors at the same time as the intake manifold plate gasket. Which was a lot harder then just the injectors. The injectors were super easy. I put new O-rings on the connector tubes and replaced the two intake grid heater gaskets(Which are now a metal gasket, like an exhaust manifold gasket).
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you want smoke? get a smarty and set it a #9 but you cant find a finer injector!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 AM

Hey Glenn you should of used that stock clutch up while you had it.

I put the OFE in and it is pretty sweet. Holds everything so far. Little grappy at starts but will break in a little bit but backing is still pretty grappy.

My 12V will get pretty smokey when I want it to, but still can't black out a road all the way yet Maybe when a get a new turbo and a set of DDP3's or 4's.

When you going to dyno your new set up?

How did your sled run this year? Didn't see you post much after you had your problems with the XCR motor.
I am about to join the 4 stroke boost group. If you can't beat them join them.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rebal
you want smoke? get a smarty and set it a #9 but you cant find a finer injector!
Add a hrvp to that mix and you can forget about a stock clutch holding and I'm pretty sure the stock turbo will have trouble cleaning up the smoke.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Sled had issues, hence I'm playing with the truck right now And, yes, if I had the coin, I would be riding a boosted APEX too. Can't touch them.

I will probably sell the stock clutch or hold onto it in case I get into an 03-05.5 with the NV5600. Then I can put it in that.

Local place does 3 dyno runs for $100, is that a good deal, bad deal?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennRMK
Local place does 3 dyno runs for $100, is that a good deal, bad deal?
The place I goto hits me for $50 or $60 for 3 runs (we usually wind up doing 6 or 7 to get 3 real good pulls by trying different things). Some places charge upto $150 for 3 runs which is getting alittle high. I'd say $100 isn't too bad if its close by and they know how to dyno diesel trucks.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:01 AM

the smoke is cool
When I'm through there on the way to Billings, I'll swing through and you can try out my Smarty (if you want)... We can set it to #8 to run with your Edge and see what you think of the smoke...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:40 PM

I would like to try the Smarty stack and see how it works!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
The Guru

How much smoke are you putting out? Is that at throttle up on a wot blast or is your turbo spooled? At 35psi to 40psi you should get a slight haze if your turbo can put enough air into engine. Everyone has different smoke tolerant levels. Whats your maximum egt's? I put a set of my old 90rwhp injectors in a 5speed truck and a edge tow box. She smoked more than my auto truck did with the same injectors.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 PM

It smokes when I get on it with tach at say 1400-1600 and through to say 2000 or so, then its clean. Doesn't smoke if your higher in the RPM. But before it is at full spool, it smokes.

EGTs ain't bad. 1100 was the highest I saw. Running about 1050 or so with stock injectors.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:15 PM

Doesn't smoke if your higher in the RPM. But before it is at full spool, it smokes.

EGTs ain't bad. 1100 was the highest I saw. Running about 1050 or so with stock injectors.
Sounds like it's time for more fuel.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:58 PM
The Guru

How fast does your boost build? A stick truck should almost be at max boost in a couple seconds. You must have a boost leak or sometime wrong with your wastegate. 50egt's over stock those must be pretty good injectors. Man I can peg the pyro in seconds. Auto truck they have a computer de-fueling thingy that kinda how fast you build boost. That the secret. Sounds like your lugging your engine at that low of rpm's.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Full boost is within a couple seconds for sure. Boost looks about perfect at 35 lbs.

Pretty impressed with the injectors. Mileage has jumped up considerably. I'd say 2-3 MPG easily. EGTs on the highway are down, and fuel mileage is up. Will have to get some more concrete numbers when I stop playing with the power.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just put the 1.6s in. Much impressed. Good idle. More power, from clutch engagment to redline.

Its crazy how little you have to put your foot into it and you just go.

I am getting my OFE put in tomarrow so I didn't give it hell. Just a few little bursts. And wow, I'm impressed. What a difference. I have the Juice on 1x3 and it goes like a bat out of hell. Smokes like a banshee, when you give it to her. Definitely a noticeable diff over just the Juice. Which I don't mind, the smoke is cool. No smoke under normal driving though.

But, if these are a clean set of injectors, a smokey set must be bad!
Sounds cool. Did you give your buddy my number?
What place are you talking about with the dino? If it's Mike's, I don't think they can do the diesels yet.

Quick Reply: If Mach 1.6s are clean, whats smokey?