Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Ideas on fitting an A-pillar pod

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas on fitting an A-pillar pod

Hello,

I just finished installing a set of ISSPRO EVs [Mech Fuel Press, Boost & EGT] in a triple A-pillar pod with tweeter.

In short, I'm not happy with the overall fit of the pillar itself

Has anyone out there come up with any solid ideas that have resulted in the new A-pillar pod NOT extending beyond the black windshield border?

At this point, I've got a #12 x 1-1/2" stainless steel sheet metal screw holding the pillar in place [at the top], but this single mounting point DOES NOT affect the windshield side of the pod.

I finished the install at night, so the gaps between the black windshield border and the pod were immediately/highly visible due to gauge lighting [especially when looking through the windshield from outside].

After taking a lot of extra time trying to do it right, I just don't want to leave it this way. Any and all ideas are most welcome...

Have a great one,
Bill
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. I don't have any gaps with mine. Where did you route your wires? The Autometer instructions said to run them between the old pillar and the cover, but I drilled out holes in the old pillar and ran them behind it. My pillar fits nice, wven the rubber weather stripping fits around it ok. I didn't even add any extra screws to hold it on. The Autometer pillar came with six ratchet plugs that I installed around the edges and corners.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 AM

I don't have any gaps either, but I removed the old pillar. I put the new one in position, slid it down slightly so the dash holds the bottom in, and ran the scew at 45 degree angle from the windshield at the top.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

You probably won't want to do this (looking back on it I don't know why I did either) but I cut holes in my stock a-pillar to allow the lines to slip in behind that. Lots more room and the cover fits a lot better. I don't have anything holding that on. If I had to do it over again (which hopefully I shortly will if all these danged expenses stop coming in), I'd remove the stock a-pillar completely and just screw the cover to the body. One at the top, one in the middle right underneath the middle gauge pod, and the third as close to the windshield side as I could.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine the same way, BigBlue. Worked pretty well, no gaps.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:30 PM

Mine slid down tight enough into the dash, that one screw was all I needed, and it's at the top.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Cover only,one screw,with cover.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 AM

I did mine like Blue described. I took the stock pillar off, and held them together. They would not fit together perfectly, and there were some gaps. I took out my trusty dremel tool, and put on a sand paper type attatchment. I sanded or trimmed off the "high places" until it fit over the stock one perfectly. I then drilled 3/8" holes (i think) in the stock pillar, and drilled my holes on the edge for them to snap together. The window rubber molding hides the snaps on the window side, and you can barely see the ones on the windshield side. Mine looks very good, and you cant tell that it did not come from the factory that way...unless of course you know better.

Also, Ive got the agate interior, so I left my pillar black, and you still cant tell the difference.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 AM

I bought a stock apillar from the dealer w/o the tweeter and cut a hole in it to allow the wires to go through. I used the plugs that came with it and it fit really snug. You can check out what they look like from one of my gallery pics.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the posts!

I've read over all the ideas, and one question keeps coming to mind: Is everyone suggesting that the new pod be secured to the [old] factory A-pillar cover??

[Please keep in mind that I didn't receive any instructions with my new pod]

If that's the gist, that's probably about as good an idea as I've read. The factory clip system was pretty sturdy, so securing the new pod to the factory cover--trimmed nicely as one poster suggested --will probably work very nicely indeed.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 09-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You are understanding correctly - the guage pillar is fastened to the existing pillar. I hole sawed some holes in the factory pillar to let the wiring easily pass behind the factory pillar - it fits perfectly but was a little tough getting all the wires tucked in and not pinched.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:20 PM

Thanks, CTD Nut!

Hey! We 98.5 24v'ers have to stick together, right?

You 98.5'ers let me know if you have any fueling issues. I've just finished about seven weeks [and counting] of going through my ENTIRE fuel system--BACK TO FRONT--starting at the fuel tank and going forward all the way to the injectors [NOTHING was spared ].

At the risk of sounding a bit brown around the edges, I've been FORCED into becoming a danger to '98.5 24v fuel systems . Seriously, please let me know...I've probably been there [and NOT by choice].

Have a great one,
Bill
Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM
I think I can... I think...

Vbaker
Where did you get your pod from?
Also did you paint it yourself or was it gray when you got it?
dieselmanor.com has a pretty good deal on a gauge and pod set but it's black.
I can paint it but I want to make sure it fits well and from your pick yours seems to fit perfect.
I may also want to go with the 2 gauge pod as well if I can find a boost/EGT combo for one hole and a tranny temp gauge for the other.
I know I'm telling my age but I don't think I could read the top gauge on a 3 pod pillar..... too close to my face.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:32 AM

Capt.Ron Got cover allready painted,and guages from www.smokindiesel.com . You can buy the paint from DC dealer in spray can.Using the cover only, fits pretty well. I know what you mean about the age thing,at 62 I use bi-focals,works well.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:08 AM

When I bought mine, I was pretty upset. I though I paid for a new A-Pillar with holes for guages,,,not some cover that I have to custom fit. Anyway, no step for a stepper. Just do as I said, and hold them together, and trim away the parts that keep it from fitting right. My new cover was bigger so i basically trimmed it all the way around for a perfect fit. I think I used some small clamps to hold them together while I was trimming the outside edges.

Quick Reply: Ideas on fitting an A-pillar pod