Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I want to make my 96 smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes smoke is unburned fuel but any high HP diesel that runs good, smokes a fair amount.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

grind your plate flat and remove your AFC spring
Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Amen to that part

try a zero plate. Grind ur stocker flat, and get that pyro in before u do! See my gallery for pics..

Tx
hey thanks again, i have already slid the plate forward but did not mess with the star wheel yet so ill give that a whirl, but i was told by a friend who has a pulling truck not to grind the fuel plate to no more than a 4 or 5 or my tranny will be suffering
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 PM

I sure wouldn't try that in Mass. In the land of the Enviro-*****, you'll get nabbed in a hurry! Luckily I live amung rednecks, and everyone around here thinks diesel smoke is cool. I don't put out much, unless I'm in drive with the tc locked and have my foot on the floor at 1200 rpms. Then nobody behind me will see anything but black.

Jim
Old 02-17-2006, 01:13 AM

Create a biiiiig boost leak.. you'll have plenty of smoke.

Put in a clogged air cleaner. That'll do it too.

If you can't get more fuel, restrict the air. Course, this is if ALL you want is smoke, and not POWER to go with it.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:17 AM

i don't know why you guys are giving him a hard time about smoke i know thats what even got me interrested in diesels, now i have learned that smoke isn't power but it does look alot better than no smoke at all. how exciting would it be to go watch a truck pull and see kent crowder go down the track with out that 30ft tall smoke cloud coming out. if you want smoke remove your afc spring or crank your star wheel as far foward as you can. this will only give you smoke at low rpm like taking off or punching the pedal while in park
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 PM

I live out in the boondocks myself and when u drive in town u rarely go through and not see some smoke from a truck. i dont care what ne one says i like to see the smoke. it can cause u to have lower mpg but i think its well worth it. without seeing the smoke i dont think that the truck would be as fun to drive
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
If you want smoke for its own sake, save your engine and just install a post-turbo oil drip
Or yo could do like some people on here and stick a piece of wood down thier stacks and light it up.

Bryan
Old 02-18-2006, 02:54 PM

If you dont care to much about your tranny, you can install a $5.00 TC lock up switch and lug your motor and it will dump smoke out.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4doogie
If you dont care to much about your tranny, you can install a $5.00 TC lock up switch and lug your motor and it will dump smoke out.
where can i get one of those?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Just get a toggle switch from Radio Shack and some wire. There is a wiring diagram on here somewhere, just do a search for "mystery switch". Be warned that if you don't have the most current programming in your PCM, it will have to be flashed by the dealer for the switch to work. That cost me some pretty good $$$, more than I paid for my #10 plate, but I was finally able to use the switch after the flash.

I used the mystery switch for a few days before my fuel plate came in, and it worked fine with a stock engine. But now that I have the #10 plate, the tranny slips pretty bad in OD with the TC locked. Its seems fine in drive locked up, but thats not towing a trailer. Don't use the switch with a stock trans if you tow a trailer, it will slip.

With my #10 plate, I get lots of smoke if i put foot into it at under 1200 rpms. Just as 1250 rpms hit, anyone behind me is blind because of all the smoke. I did it to a guy from work who was following me through town, and he had to back WAY off to be able to see. Its also nice to do to import drivers if you have a side exit exhaust. Just wait until you are beside one at a light. I did it to a Powerjoke driver who was behind me Thursday night. Left him in my smoke, literally. I think the last thing he saw was the sticker in my rear window: "Power Stroke THIS, Ford Boy". Its a decal I got off ebay.

Jim
Old 02-18-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by NHDiesel
Just get a toggle switch from Radio Shack and some wire. There is a wiring diagram on here somewhere, just do a search for "mystery switch". Be warned that if you don't have the most current programming in your PCM, it will have to be flashed by the dealer for the switch to work. That cost me some pretty good $$$, more than I paid for my #10 plate, but I was finally able to use the switch after the flash.

I used the mystery switch for a few days before my fuel plate came in, and it worked fine with a stock engine. But now that I have the #10 plate, the tranny slips pretty bad in OD with the TC locked. Its seems fine in drive locked up, but thats not towing a trailer. Don't use the switch with a stock trans if you tow a trailer, it will slip.

With my #10 plate, I get lots of smoke if i put foot into it at under 1200 rpms. Just as 1250 rpms hit, anyone behind me is blind because of all the smoke. I did it to a guy from work who was following me through town, and he had to back WAY off to be able to see. Its also nice to do to import drivers if you have a side exit exhaust. Just wait until you are beside one at a light. I did it to a Powerjoke driver who was behind me Thursday night. Left him in my smoke, literally. I think the last thing he saw was the sticker in my rear window: "Power Stroke THIS, Ford Boy". Its a decal I got off ebay.

Jim
i have thge same decal