Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I think I smoked my poor turbo today?....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think I smoked my poor turbo today?....

got my truck back from the tranny shop got a few miles on it and went to test it out. tranny shifts pretty hard but holds way better. slowed down and toggled through x- monitor to check EGT's and got up to bout 1400*. drove home and let it cool down now i can't get EGT's down below 360*? It was on its way out anyways. seems better half is going to get me my xmas gift early! I was thinking of BD Super B. any suggestions for my setup? only other thing i want to get is a MAD ECM. i don't need any more. i think?
thanx Clay
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am impressed with BD...both as a company and with their Super B. Know of one on an HO and it's a good Next step from the HX-35 you have....if you sure you are not going to be bit by the HP bug.

IMO, the Mad ECM and a Super B will be a great combo! Even room for some mild injectors down the road without EGT problems.

RJ
Old 11-10-2005, 08:52 AM

W/ my Super B, I can still hit 1475* on a hard long run, but thats close to 100 mph. It was a nice upgrade from the stock turbo. I found a good deal on it and I was looking for something to help, not cure, my egt problems, which the Super B did. It is a tad laggy on the bottom end, not bad by any means, its just not the fastest spooling turbo on the market.

W/ your setup, I think you might still have some egt problems. I think the Super B is good up to 375 hp, and 400 max. Anything above that, a larger turbo is necessary to keep things cool. Overall, I am happy w/ mine b/c it suits my needs.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:31 AM

Agree, Did not see your injectors the first time through...Super B probably on the small side for MAD ECM & 155's, but not a total mistake, IMO.
RJ
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 AM

With my COMP off, running Mach 2.5's and CaTCHER I see a max of 1200 degrees with my stock hx35.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

What are your EGT's when you turn the comp on 5x5?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Anything higher than 3x3 it will max out a bit. On 5x5 I can peg out the gauge.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by claymx
got my truck back from the tranny shop got a few miles on it and went to test it out. tranny shifts pretty hard but holds way better. slowed down and toggled through x- monitor to check EGT's and got up to bout 1400*. drove home and let it cool down now i can't get EGT's down below 360*? It was on its way out anyways. seems better half is going to get me my xmas gift early! I was thinking of BD Super B. any suggestions for my setup? only other thing i want to get is a MAD ECM. i don't need any more. i think?
thanx Clay
i wouldnt necessarily jump to the conclusion that you smoked your turbo. take off the intake tube and feel for any play in the shaft. 360* could be the fault of the pyro or an injector or maybe thats the way your truck is. what was the reading before any of this happened?

but you might as well get a new turbo because the hy35 just wont cut it for your plans.

"i don't need any more." riiiiiiiiiiiiight...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by pgilles
i wouldnt necessarily jump to the conclusion that you smoked your turbo. take off the intake tube and feel for any play in the shaft. 360* could be the fault of the pyro or an injector or maybe thats the way your truck is. what was the reading before any of this happened?

but you might as well get a new turbo because the hy35 just wont cut it for your plans.

"i don't need any more." riiiiiiiiiiiiight...
there is side to side play but no play pushing and pulling, but fins on wheel are beat up and rubbing against the housing...if you can make sense of that? i am defin no mechanic. climbing up small hill barely into the throttle it can up to 1100* going bout 25mph. take off AFE 2 and lots of oil inside turbo and starting to squeel every once in a while. but i wanted a new one anyways just get one sooner than thought. So.... if i get a Comp am i looking for trouble if going with the Super B? A buddy has a 01 Comp, 155 inj., Mad & Super B and it seems to work good but does say if he had to do it again might go differ. just availability and price fairly good on Super B right now. Hey...i can always upgrade!right?! its only money!

Clay
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM

forgot to mention EGTs usually down to 300* within 3-4 min after putting in park.

Clay
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned

If fins have been rubbing on housing and are bent/damaged, turbo is definately going to have to be replaced. Now is the time to bite the bullet, and upgrade turbo to what size you THINK you'll need with your current and future bombs. Lots of info here, do some searching of old posts on turbo's to help narrow it down .
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM

Be sure to check out this place. They have quite a good reputation for quality and service. I am running there HTB2 (62/12) turbo and love it.
high tech turbo
Old 11-11-2005, 08:29 AM

OR....do the Super B now and use it for the top turbo, down the road, in their small Twins

As dodgediesel4x4 said, it won't solve all your EGT problems...but it is a great bump up. All larger single turbos are a compromise between spoolup and top end EGT's.

Good luck!

RJ
Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 AM

thanx for the replies. i just installed Super B last night. decided to go this route cuz my IP wire is a virgin and will stay that way. i don't see the point in going to the comp at this time, keeping with original plans and getting MAD in spring.
i was alittle SURPRISED to find that the down pipe happens to be 12" too short to match up with existing 4" exhaust. oh well, i guess. just wish they had of mentioned this as a possibility could have been prepared for it since every muffler shop in town is closed this weekend!
Clay

P.S. anyone changing out there down pipe invest in an AIR hammer. the only way i could get the existing exhaust apart thanks to phone call to GREENWORKS
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 AM

Sorry you had that trouble. I'm guessing you have an MBRP? I would have mentioned it if I remembered going through all that 2 yrs ago. Actually I seem to remember having too long a downpipe and having to cut a piece out?? Not sure.

I ended up using about a foot of 4" flex pipe from a Cummins big rig shop to fill the hole...and two 4" wide band clamps. Works well and solves any misalignment problems. None of the muffler shops around here have, or work with 4" exhausts. I have recommended this to 2-3 others since than...none of us have had any long term problems using flex pipe.

RJ

Quick Reply: I think I smoked my poor turbo today?....