Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I need a track bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a track bar

i need a stupid track bar for my 2000 2500. i just got done puttin a trans in it and a cps, injection pump, and lift pump and now i have to put in lower ball joints, both front wheel bearings and a track bar cannot find one any ideas in NC. also this thing better start holdin up better. My dad has a 99 stroker with 260k and still running with only a waterpump and torque converter and brakes replaced. i makes my CTD look like a POS. Hate to have to go back to ford
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Man, that's terrible! You might try a search as there are alot of options. Just wondering, has your truck been in alot of deep water? Sure seems like alot of problems!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

I suggest going with an aftermarket track bar such as the DT track bar. It's a bolt in unit with very minor drilling and is completely rebuildable. If you don't like that one then I recommend the thurenfab.com track bar. It's got a great reputation. I personally run the DT track bar and have had good luck with it.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:48 AM

I have the thuren TB and love it. You just have to be sure that it is angled just right or it will hit the diff cover. Even the alighnment guy was amazed at how stout it was. The ends are also compleatly rebuildable.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:18 AM

Try this guy,you wont be disapointed, www.solidsteel.biz
Old 02-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I go the cheapest route and use lifetime warranty tracbars from Napa. Removing the two bolts that hold the bar in and slapping in a new one is a heck of a lot easier than rebuilding the ends. I've gone though two Napa bars in 250k on my own truck, no questions asked when turning in an old one for new.

Another option I've used on folk's several trucks is a Luke's Link
more info http://www.lukeslink.com/trackbar.html
Old 02-25-2006, 09:45 AM

One catch with the lukes links is that they wont work on a Moog trac bar. I was originally going to go that route. I dont think Napa offers the lifetime trac bar anymore either. When I was searching evything I found was 1 year or less and cost almost what the thuren did! Had I found a lifetime factory piece I would have done that then lukes followed by the thuren.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 AM

Hey richland NC. in the house same place as fomerly known as "johns tavern" ?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've installed the Moog track bar on many trucks. It's not rebuildable, nor as fancy as many of the "specialty" units, but it's readily available and the ball joint is quite a bit heftier than the factory unit. Infidel's Napa suggestion sounds pretty good too.

If it makes you feel better, i've replaced many ball joints on Super Duty trucks with under 100k miles on them.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 PM

I dont think Napa offers the lifetime trac bar anymore either.
I had heard that too so I asked when I replaced one last summer, they still carried the lifetime warranty bar.
In fact a new lifetime trackbar from Napa was $40 cheaper than when I first bought mine in '96.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:32 PM

I'm not impressed with my Napa unit. I asked for the lifetime unit when I bought it, and paid the higher price for a lifetime bar. It lasted a total of 9000 miles on our pothole filled northern roads, and when i went to exchange it, this store told me the one I got only has a 1 year warranty! They did exchange it, but told me the 1-year was from the purchase date of the original bar, and not from when it was last exchanged. I now need another one, 2nd one since last May, so when this one wears out it will be off warranty.

A few people on here have had luck getting a refund from Napa to put toward one of the aftermarket bars, but my local Napa laughed at me, and said the warranty is exchange only. Oh well, hopefully by the time the next bar is junk, my transmission conversion will be done and I'll start looking into swapping in a Ford front axle and leaf springs.

One thing I have to say...I'm not overly impressed with Dodge. my truck is O.K., but when it comes to suspension, steering, and overall handling, it leaves a lot to be desired. its a joke that they put a suspension system from a Jeep Cherokee under a Cummins. And in case you never noticed, the track bars are the same part number for a 1/2 ton V-6 as for a 1-ton diesel. With that said, there is still no perfect vehicle, and I bought my truck because it had a Cummins and the price was right.

Jim

Originally Posted by infidel
I go the cheapest route and use lifetime warranty tracbars from Napa. Removing the two bolts that hold the bar in and slapping in a new one is a heck of a lot easier than rebuilding the ends. I've gone though two Napa bars in 250k on my own truck, no questions asked when turning in an old one for new.

Another option I've used on folk's several trucks is a Luke's Link
more info http://www.lukeslink.com/trackbar.html
Old 02-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Thuren or DT only way to go, Getting a Thuren on my next one. Plus you can get adjustable if you have any lift. Chris
Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 PM

What kind of issues would I note if my trac bar was bad & how do you check it? Thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 06:03 PM

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth.
Watch for movement at the track bar end connected to the frame, you can see it though the driver's side wheel well. If you can see any movement at all in the ball end it's shot.
Once this end becomes loose, it will allow the frame to shift sideways causing a pulling steering problem.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 PM

thanks for all the advice guys, decided to go with the NAPA trackbar. also I haven't ever heard of Johns tavern river rat drop me an email to explain.

Quick Reply: I need a track bar