Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I need some info on straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some info on straight pipe

I would love to put staight pipes on my 97, but can't find anyone local that had 4in. pipe. Does anyone know of any place in delaware or eastern maryland that may be able to help me out. Also, does anyone know what the laws in delaware say about this, especially cause i have to take my truck through inspection and right now i dont have a cat converter (missing when i bought the truck). One more question, should i put in guages (boost, pyro, trans) before i start messing with my exhaust more?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM

Gauges are the number one thing on a modded truck, at least that is what I have seen here, so heres to hoping that I am somewhat right....x.x
Old 08-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by chaos24valve
Gauges are the number one thing on a modded truck,
While thats true...not really in this case. If you just want a 4" straightpipe theres no real reason to have guages. When you add more fuel (lots of fuel in some cases) and more air thats when you need gauges to monitor the exhaust temp....which will in turn prevent melting a piston.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 PM

Lol agreed, but you never know on what he is plotting to do!!!! Ya know it is a hard knock life......
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by chaos24valve
Lol agreed, but you never know on what he is plotting to do!!!! Ya know it is a hard knock life......
Yeah, doesnt make sense to put on a straight pipe and NOT add more fuel to the fire right??
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 PM

Go to a big rig shop. They may have some 4", or should be able to order it. NAPA may have it.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:14 AM

laws on straight pipe in delaware

thanks everyone. eventually, i will put some more mods like a torque plate and others, but not untill i work on my auto tranny, after that who knows what ill do. i called almost every muffler shop in DE, but no one here really does 4in, but ill give napa a call today or stop at the truck stop around the corner. Does anyone know what the laws are concerning this mod in DE?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 AM

The truck place will have the bends ussually and the pipe but 5 in. is more the norm for them to have in stock. I had my parts store order the bends for the 4 in. ex. and used 4 in thin wall conduit which is a little thicker than ex. pipe just cause I had it. The bends run me around 24 bucks apeice and you can get by running straight over the rear end if you hold it up a little higher. I think I bought 3 bends and didn't use over 12 ft of straight pipe. It starts about 4 in. from the turbo.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Re: laws on straight pipe in delaware

Originally posted by RedRider
Does anyone know what the laws are concerning this mod in DE?
Just phone your local state inspection site, and ask laws regarding diesels......cats are of no concern as i belive your truck didnt come with one. As for the muffler, that is usually a noise bylaw concern.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 AM

Speaking of mufflers. The other day when I was searching through old topics I found a site that had a "sneaker" series muffler. It was just a 4" straight pipe with a muffler casing welded around the outside. Texas law requires you to have some kind of muffler to pass inspections(and all they do is look under see if you have one), but I would prefer a straight pipe

But I can't remember what site it was. Think the muffler was called diamond head, diamond back, or some ****. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 AM

www.sourceautomotive.biz

Rip has that sneaker series
Old 08-25-2005, 10:30 AM

my link doesnt work, maybe someone else knows the link
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 PM

summit sells a dynomax race muffler that will fit over 4" pipe and is only 5" od and 16" long and the only thing it does is it took away the droning sound that would kill my ears in the cab but the truck is still just is loud out side the truck.or you could slide a piece of 4" pipe thru the muffler to make your own sneaker a lot cheaper
Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by ramtd02
my link doesnt work, maybe someone else knows the link
Sure it does.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Sure it does.
Does now, wasn't working last night.

dieseldork, You talking about the bullets?
I had those on my old truck(gas) hated them, way to much drone, don't know how they would sound on a diesel though.

Quick Reply: I need some info on straight pipe