Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I need a BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a BHAF

I am looking to put a bhaf on my 97 CTD but i need to know which ones you guys recommend. If i get one i will need to know how to mount it and if i need a heat shield.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:36 PM

Click on tech facts and you will find part #s and a heat shield design. Also do some looking and you'll find lots of reading. Just my .002

Old 07-27-2004, 12:48 PM

I LOVE mine, nothin' like that sweet turbo spoolin' up!!

P.S.- A good heatshield and an Outerwears pre-filter would help to!!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:16 PM

does this realy have to have a heat shield, will it help with the water, or this is not a problem?
jerome
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jman
does this realy have to have a heat shield, will it help with the water, or this is not a problem?
jerome
The heat shield goes between the BHAF and the Turbo.
Turbo gets pretty hot, hot enough to start deforming the filter.

It also provides a mounting surface so the BHAF isn't sitting on the fender and exposed bolts that can rub a hole in it.

Highly reccomend the shield.

phox
Old 07-27-2004, 08:30 PM

what i did was made a heat shield from the tech facts template and then used the stock rubber thing'ees to hold the shield down. i love the BHAF its sweet what i dont have is the Outerwears pre-filter im thinking i should get one before the rain what yall think? chris
Old 07-27-2004, 08:37 PM

use cardboard for the first try.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Banned

You don't need a heat shield. I ran mine for 40K+ miles withou one and with a comp and never had a problem.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 PM

I thought that part number for the Fleetguard was for a Marine Air Filter which shouldnt need the outerwears for water??
Also I think I might go with the BHAF instead of the Scotty, I dont need that really cold air as my truck never gets hot enough to need it. Also doesnt the BHAF deliver more cleaner air? or no?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by diesel_kid
I thought that part number for the Fleetguard was for a Marine Air Filter which shouldnt need the outerwears for water??
Also I think I might go with the BHAF instead of the Scotty, I dont need that really cold air as my truck never gets hot enough to need it. Also doesnt the BHAF deliver more cleaner air? or no?
Part number in the Tech Facts, and quoted most often is for the standard Fleetguard BHAF.
Marine one is part number 19002, or something like that, and about $100 more than the standard one.
I wanted the marine when I got mine, but they were out of stock, so I settled for the standard.
Still might get the marine next time, as it flows better, and less succeptable to the elements.

BHAF being paper will filter better than the reusable filter in the Scotty.
But, it won't flow as much air as the Scotty, and the air will be warmer, since it is underhood engine compartment air.

I personally like paper, as I am often in very dusty offroad conditions.

phox
Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by diesel_kid
Kid,

Fleetguard offers both the standard paper version and the marine version which is somewhat waterproof.

As for the Scotty, you want the extra ccccooollll air for more horsepower not because your truck is hot. Cool, dense air is better for combustion, diesels and gassers. The Scotty uses a regular AFE filter.......and will flow more than the paper element.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 PM

Hmmm, lots to think about, well I just ordered the BHAF none marine version, but might end up trying to make some sort of contraption for the cooler air, Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
...Marine one is part number 19002, or something like that, and about $100 more than the standard one...
AH 19004

The marine version is not paper.... it is made from some kind of synthetic fiber which is what gives it it's resistance to water and it's price tag.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Banned

you'll be fine without a heat shield, but making one certainly won't hurt.

I run without one

Forrest
Old 08-05-2004, 12:35 PM

Just found out the guys I talked to at Cummins didnt order my BHAF for some reason. So I called back, talked to the Manager, and ended up ordering the Marine Air Filter AH-19002 as it is $100 and the normal one is $60. Also the Marine version they had plenty of while they couldnt readily find the normal filter.
So sometime later this week I will go up there and hopefully get that filter in. Thanks for the numbers.

Quick Reply: I need a BHAF