Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I must be dumb - adjusting lever for fuel plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TX you need an impact driver. You may want to try some penetrating oil before your next go around also.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 PM

#2 flat screwdriver bit in a short 1/4" drive socket worked for me. Do take the fuel filter off save your knuckles...
Old 06-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Yeah this kind of sucks...I have my shortest screwdriver I have in there, stubby, and it's hitting the fuel filter.
It takes a couple minutes to pull the filter.
I use a ¼" ratchet with hex tip in close quarters, but as noted you will probably have to use a vice grips to break them loose.
I have gear ratchet sockets and they are sweet for holding lock nuts and running the screwdriver through the open bore to tweak the set screw.

Make very sure the adjustment screw is a couple turns into the lever and the locknut is TIGHT when you finish. That little screw can ruin a pump if it drops into the governor.

edit Sorry for the late post on the vice grips. I got busy watching a ball game on TV and forgot about this thread.
I cannot stress enough about either dropping the adjustment screw during the re-set or it working loose later.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks again for all the help. I did what seemed like the right adjustment, it doesn't slide under the plate anymore. Hopefully I tightened the locknut enough. I guess we'll see in a short bit here when I take it for a spin.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 PM

OMG I just got back from my test drive, HOLY COW I'm in love all over again with this thing!!! Thing just gets up and GOES any gear, rolling clouds of smoke haha. We'll see how it goes. I need stacks now.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG I just got back from my test drive, HOLY COW I'm in love all over again with this thing!!! Thing just gets up and GOES any gear, rolling clouds of smoke haha. We'll see how it goes. I need stacks now.

Congrats!!!!!!
Glad to hear it worked out fine! See, everything can be done!!!

as for the lucknut, I had one truck, didnt tighten it enough, and the screw fell into the pump, and broke something in there, makin it to not regulate /governate rpms anymore!

One other guy broke his pump, cuz his sucket stayed on the luck not, and he drove it, and fell i, and BROKE the outside of the pump!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave...

help a brother out, u used the vice grips to remove the screws right? IE use the small vice grips gripped to the screw itself? I gotta do this mod! man!

Robert, thanks for the tip? Whats an impact driver? never seen one, similar to a hammer drill?

Rick
Old 06-16-2006, 09:59 AM

TX
Vice grips are your best bet. Get them as tight as you can on the bolt head. The ones with the curved jaws will give the max grip and bite into the screw heads. It will mare them a little but get the stubborn things out.
An impact driver is an awesome tool. There are a couple varients for the bits but basically it is a spring loaded cylandr that you hit with a hammer. As the hammer hits the cylander downward force is exerted on the fastner and the spring causes the bit to twist. So you get a ton off down preasure and twisting action at the same time. They are great for frozen fastners and rusted parts.
I bought a cheap impact driver at autozone for around $30 a couple years ago. The direction is reversable, nice feature on that model, and has a 3/8" socket wrench end on it. This allows you to insert a variety of bits such as phillips, straight, torx, and even regular sockets. Keep an eye out for them. You dont use them often but are worth their wait in gold when you need them. Just like the set of impact universal joint sockets I have.

Dave88LX
Glad that you are up and running. The worst is behind you now. Next time you need in there it will be a heck of alot easier. Did you use the trick of putting the screw driver through the socket?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
Congrats!!!!!!
Glad to hear it worked out fine! See, everything can be done!!!

as for the lucknut, I had one truck, didnt tighten it enough, and the screw fell into the pump, and broke something in there, makin it to not regulate /governate rpms anymore!

One other guy broke his pump, cuz his sucket stayed on the luck not, and he drove it, and fell i, and BROKE the outside of the pump!
Eh...that makes me want to take it all apart and make sure that my nut is very tight. It is though.

Dave...
help a brother out, u used the vice grips to remove the screws right? IE use the small vice grips gripped to the screw itself? I gotta do this mod! man!

Robert, thanks for the tip? Whats an impact driver? never seen one, similar to a hammer drill?

Rick
Rick,
Yeah I used vice grips. Smaller ones would have worked better but I couldn't find them so I had to use my bigger ones. But yeah, move the AFC housing out of the way, disconnect the two wire harnesses that connect right there where you're trying to work, and get those out of the way. Stubby screwdriver didn't work for crap, neither did a "Z" or "L" screwdriver. Once you break the bolts free you can pretty much take them out by finger.

Dave88LX
Glad that you are up and running. The worst is behind you now. Next time you need in there it will be a heck of alot easier. Did you use the trick of putting the screw driver through the socket?
Thanks! No I actually didn't...I didn't have enough room really to get two hands down there...I used my left hand to hold me up and my right hand to fumble around and do the work...then just tightened it up after.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM

I love these trucks but getting under the hood really stinks. I wish the front fenders went up with the hood. My gut and knees always hurt after awhile under the hood.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Eh...that makes me want to take it all apart and make sure that my nut is very tight. It is though.
If you say you felt it was tight, then it was!

i dont think I tightened it up at all! I tried to, I bet it was the socket problem, i only had a short socket, and I turned the screw out, so it didnt reach the nut, only the screw.

I think you are ready to go! but IF it falls out, it causes problems!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
I love these trucks but getting under the hood really stinks. I wish the front fenders went up with the hood. My gut and knees always hurt after awhile under the hood.
I have a 2 step ladder and piece of carpeting for the battery. If i start whining a look under the hood of a PS or DM convinces me life ain't so bad.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
I have a 2 step ladder and piece of carpeting for the battery. If i start whining a look under the hood of a PS or DM convinces me life ain't so bad.

yah, I really would not know where to start, messing on a V8

Gotta love workin on a 12valve! I DO!
I dont often need a ladder! Over 6 feet tall!
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 AM

I can't reach much without sitting on the engine, and I'm 6'1"!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:59 AM

Wonder how long til I'll need a clutch. I REALLY want stacks now.

Now if I can only figure out how to get smoke in neutral, I'll be having some MAD fun!

Quick Reply: I must be dumb - adjusting lever for fuel plate