Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I must be dumb - adjusting lever for fuel plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be dumb - adjusting lever for fuel plate

http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechLeverAdj.htm

I see the picture. I have my AFC housing off. I have the fuel plate out. I do not see any of these adjustment screws?!? What am I missing here?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Quote the site:

This is what the pump looks like from the back with the cover removed. Do not change the adjustment in the upper right hand corner. The adjustment in the lower left hand corner is the one to make. Loosen the locknut ( 10mm socket required ). Making very small adjustments to the screw, adjust the lever the proper height. Now tighten the locknut.

Dave,

Its on the back of the pump, across from the fuel filter
Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 PM

Gotcha...I got that part, but I don't see any screws? It says "To check your adjustment the throttle lever needs to be moved until the lever just touches the cam plate." I guess that must be what's in my way? I need two people for this job?

Rear is to the left:
Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM

OK I just had someone press the fuel pedal. I see a thin lever appear from under the back of the housing (hidden right now) towards the fuel plate, then disappear; but it doesn't come anywhere near touching the plate.

I found this here searching:
anyways think of the plate as a throttle stop....ur lever arm in the pump does not start on the plate...it starts back from it.....as u use light throttle the arm moves slightly forward but may not ever touch the plate....BUT when u use full thottle the arm goes forward and is "stopped" by the plate and the shape of the plate...so durign full throttle u slide along up the plate ....that is the fueling u get as rpms increase....so as u can imagine the shape possibilities are endless

but unless ur mashing full throttle all the time u may never even touch the plate and the shape is irrelevant which is alos why u can still have the same fuel economy whether u have a stock plate or a flat plate
Does that mean that I have to eyeball about where the lever is at the bottom or nose on my #10 plate? From what I gather, it's supposed to be level with the tip of the part that sticks out at the bottom?

I don't know where the adjustment screws are though.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 PM

pull up on the fuel shutdown solenoid its a rubber boot thing right next to the AFC, have your buddy push the throttle, you should see that lever come forward and touch the bottom edge of the fuel plate. Thats what you want make sure it doesnt go under or to high up on the fuel plate. If your good you can do both pull up the solenoid and move the linkage with the other hand while watching it
Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 PM

another option if you dont have a budy is to tie an old shoe string to the throttle bracket and then to the front of the truck. This is how I do mine. The adjuster screw is hidden beneth a stamped cover on the rear of the pump. The fuel filter makes it a joy to access. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:02 PM

OK didn't know what that was, I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Found this too:
http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=182
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 PM

You want the cover in the very last picture about midway up the pump on the far right.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:16 PM

Sweet, Could have warned me I was gonna pinch my finger though :lol: OUCHHHHHHHHH OK OK OK OK! Haha yeah, grabbed it a different way after that.

But, I did determine that the lever is in fact slipping under the plate. Now if I can find those darn adjustment screws! I'll look behind the pump. I need a filter anyways.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:40 PM

You mean to tell me I have to get a SCREWDRIVER back there to get them bolts out?!?! I tried to get a wrench on them but they seem to be ROUND bolts with a hole through them that had safety wire on them? The wire was still on them so I assume the lever was never adjusted before. How the heck am I supposed to see what I'm doing to adjust this thing!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

This is where I'm glad that all of my stuff is plug and play. I hate doing important things like this by touch and feel.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:47 PM

Yeah this kind of sucks...I have my shortest screwdriver I have in there, stubby, and it's hitting the fuel filter.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Those cover bolts are tight. I used a small pair of vice grips to brake them loose. Alot of people pull the fuel filter to get access to the cover, especially the first time. After you get the cover out of the way take a deep well socket and break the lock nut loose a couple turns. Set a small set screw driver (chainsaw carb adjustment screw driver is what I used) and insert it throught the socket. You can now hold the nut still while turning the screw to adjust the gov arm.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tip! I finally got 'em out with vice grips. Tried a stubby flathead - no go. Tried sticking something through the holes in the bolt head - snapped it off . Tried a "Z" shaped screwdriver, no movement. Disconnected all the wiring and crap and was able to get some vice grips in there. So 10mm socket and a little screwdriver, we'll see how this works!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still cannot get mine loose

Dave, u are better off removin the fuel filter. I have a 2.5 inch stubby screwdriver and even with that i had a problem even with the filter off, I just about stripped one screw, so i just have to settle for leavin my plate at 2/3 forward.. even then its more than enough fuel for my current application. Perhaps one day ill remove the pump as a whole and have it worked on, calibrated, and what not, also governer arm adjustment. in either case, i might try it again next time i have the fuel filter off, which would be in about 5K miles when i replace it

PS i usually just move the throttle by hand right where the ball joint is, and i can see the governer arm and i pull it to WOT...
Rick

Quick Reply: I must be dumb - adjusting lever for fuel plate