Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I/I Silver Bullet 66 (S300) question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I/I Silver Bullet 66 (S300) question

I recently aquired a first gen with a 98 12v transplant engine. It has a Silver Bullet 66 on it dated 5/06. The turbo has an unknown amt of use on it, though in the form of mileage I don't think its much(10,000 miles maybe)? Anyhow, I was checking things over and noticed there is a fair amt. of side play in the SB66. I called Industrial Inj. and they said it has to for performance reasons. It is not leaking oil or contacting the housing on either end, though it seems close! It was alarming to me comparing it to my stock truck's H1C which has none after over 100,000 miles. I have read that the S-300's, at least from I.I., don't last long. i am happy with the performance, but after reading about short life in a daily driver, i may want to switch to something comparable with a longer life. I may do a couple runs down the 1/4, occasional romping on my commute, but the truck is not a daily driver. I would also like to tow with it very seldomly, and not more than 10k. The truck is a 5 spd, but I may go auto someday. What options do I have other than s300 variants? Is it I.I. s300's with short lives or all s300's when spinning big pinwheels? i wish one company would build the best of all worlds, stainless, ball bearings and a wastegate.

Is this a load of bull(the side play for perf.)? I am looking for someone who bought one brand new and saw if it has side play from new. I am concerned about it letting go or contacting the side and damaging the whole unit or worse. A rebuilt center section was like $500 if it is salvagable(presumably so).A new center section was $1200. I asked if there was a rebuild bearing kit by I.I. and he said 'no'. Is there another company that would sell bearings and seals that deals with s300's? Is it something that I or a local machine shop could tackle? I don't want them to get $500 for a turbo that has no problem.Seeing as how they won't sell me parts, I think they are looking to make money, so I don't trust that they will send it back and say it was ok. Is there balancing involved on the rebuild?

I don't have the time or money to play a turbo swap game or constantly be rebuilding or worrying that the one I have is going to let go. i like to do it once the right way and be done.All input and opinions are appreciated.

sorry for so many lengthy questions, I like to put it all out there rather than repost with details.Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
II's turbo's are good, I have had several (not because they broke but because I was trying different options). The side to side play is normal, and yes it is quite a bit more than the stock turbo. The in/out play is what you need to be concerned over rather than in/out.

As for rebuild kits and such..... When II does it the turbo will come back looking like new. They will do new bearings, seals, and balance everything. $500 seems like a lot but when you see what gets done and the time involved the price isn't out of line. Also I believe the SB uses different bearings than the original s300 version so you would need to find out what would replace it.

Personally it sounds like the turbo is fine and I would just drive it and enjoy.

Doug
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Banned

If there are no driveability issues and this is not a DD then run it until there IS a problem.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 AM

My Silverbullet had very little play in it. It was real tight, virtually no play in any direction that I recall. And I bought it new
Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 PM

These turbos are Borg Warners/Schwitzer turbo, so find an authorized dealer for parts. My II 62/71 has been on one of my trucks for the last 3 years, has about 70k km on it with zero issues.

Towing with a 12v and a SB might be a challenge. I have one on my dually, and although I have only driven it twice with the new turbo, it gets pretty warm just getting up to speed. I was at 1100 degrees, empty, holding speed up a hill. It didn't break 1400 on a WOT run that used to bury the pyro with my 62.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the comebacks guys. I am mulling rebuilding it or seeing what's out there in a compound setup and selling this one off with consideration for the possible condition. There is, what I feel, a fair amount of play. One man says new was tight and that I believe. Pls don't discuss the poss. sale here, I don't want you or I in trouble. The PM system is for that. Any one wanna venture a guess what its worth considering a rebuild is in order? That's a shame too, less than 3 yrs old, no mileage on it, no towing, racing or pulling to speak of for $2200. Never again.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
The Guru

Tate, I bet if you adjusted your wastegate your overall egt's would have dropped. I bet that your gate is set to around 45psi. If you could pull 50 to 60 psi, the egt's would have dropped down. Twins is alot more streetable. Pretty strong truck for a p pump truck.

I would like to see how it works using a S465 with a 0.9 A/R turbine, you would be into the 60psi for boost.