Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I got smoked by a P-Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 AM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:I got smoked by a P-Stroke

Stakeman - I watched that clip of Jeff (?) running the quarter. real nice. He has that 4 to 5 shift just past half track (?) I think. He does it quick so, it can be done. That would have to take a fair amount of practice to get right.

Anyone got a link to that?? Please post it here. I would like to see it again.

TIA John
Old 10-23-2003, 04:55 PM

Repeat after me. Dodge Diesel trucks were not meant for Drag Racing!
I'll stick with my 8 sec. Dodge Daytona with a small block and Glide. More fun to drive, but more maintenance though.
Trying to move 7K pounds quickly is gonna break something sonner or later.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmm..........guess I missed something four years ago. I never even though about "quick" acceleration or racing when I bought my Cummins. All I considered was being able to pull 7K lbs down the road without a problem and having an engine that would last a few hundred thousand miles.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I know a lot of Mustangs that would eat a 600 hp cummins for lunch. If you're at 60 feet and they're still trying to hook up then they don't know how to drive their car. That's not a test of machinery.

We're talking 3000 lb car vs. 7000 pound truck....they aren't supposed to compete head to head. For every 12 second Cummins there's 100 maybe 1000 12 second Mustangs etc.

As far as I'm concerned...the true test is heavily laden and who tops the grade first against a similar purpose built truck.
Well so what your saying is you wont take a challenge from a BMW if your driving a Honda? It's not what you drive, its how you drive it. Your right when you said "they dont know how to drive their car". But isnt that what racing is all about? Its never just a competition of machine. It a test of the drivers ability to make the machine move faster from point A to point B than the other guy does. If you cant drive then it wont matter how many horses you have. You were also right on the 100 to 1000 numbers because there wont be to many guys out there that can or know how to make their diesel fast enough to chase around Mustangs. But there is plenty of guys buying Mustangs and thinking they have a monster on their hands from the factory.

Repeat after me. Dodge Diesel trucks were not meant for Drag Racing!
I'll stick with my 8 sec. Dodge Daytona with a small block and Glide. More fun to drive, but more maintenance though.
Trying to move 7K pounds quickly is gonna break something sonner or later.
Anything can be raced!

Hmmmmm..........guess I missed something four years ago. I never even though about "quick" acceleration or racing when I bought my Cummins. All I considered was being able to pull 7K lbs down the road without a problem and having an engine that would last a few hundred thousand miles.
Thats the beauty of the Cummins! You want to drag a sled, pull a 20,000 lb trailer, see 12-13 seconds on the drag strip, or just toy with a sports car on the road, you can do it and have it run for thousands of miles. Not to many engines that I can think of that are that versatile. Put some goodies on the Cummins and feel the power come alive BUT becareful you might just get bit by the bug!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:11 AM

MNISB,

I misinterpreted your statement regarding 60 foot time. I thought you were talking about your cummins.

I'd have to say tho...that a 12, 11, 10 second car doesnt get there by going up in smoke. From what I've seen...AWD is great off the line, but robs power further down the track. If you have an abundance of power, you can afford some loss. There's some pretty good suspension/chassis mods that really help a RWD get out of the hole. For the most part they suck on the street though.

Back to the original post....it didn't have anything to do with dragging, but somehow digressed when people started throwing bench racing numbers around (fun stuff).

For what our trucks were built for I think it comes down more to style of the driver. I like the contro of the manual. Some like the convenience of the auto.

I'm with you all the way.... properly shifted a manual comes out on top every time....although with the NV5600 it may be a chore to pull that off. Throwing out junk like "an auto is effectively 100 hp faster" tho makes my skin crawl cuz I know it isn't so. All you have to do is look at Road and Track or ANY new car brochure to know that.

The ones I laff at is the Cobra Mustang, SS Camaro kills et al. Does this come with a bridge for sale too???...
Old 10-24-2003, 10:02 AM

Rattle what are you trying to say here:
Old 10-24-2003, 10:03 AM

The ones I laff at is the Cobra Mustang, SS Camaro kills et al.

sorry for above post
Old 02-01-2004, 12:37 PM

Talking Re: I got smoked by a P-Stroke

Originally posted by jeffteel
This HO Cummins engine rocks. It pulls ANYTHING as if there was NOTHING behind the truck...BUT...

I can't accelerate very well at ALL. I tried my best to keep up with a 98 or 99 Powerstroke today, and he smoked me off the line. Is it the Auto vs. the 6-spd? Do the Autos really accelerate that much faster? Or do i have something else going on?
of course you were smoked by a power stroke. and i'm 57, know what a chip is and don't need one.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:23 PM

You would be very surprised the age of some of my customers.My dad 58 years old had a ford with full stage 3 hypermax system.He used to screw with other people all the time.He sold it to one of my other customers tha is 64 years old.He has a lead foot as well!
Old 02-01-2004, 03:47 PM

he who has deepest pockets,usually has fastest truck
Old 09-28-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I have an NV4500 that I can speed shift no problem. With the gov you can just hold it to the floor and let her rip, never coming out of boost. If I catch a camaro snoozing I make 'em pay.

The downside is the running gear tends to shell with this kind of abuse.

On second to third, I shift with an open hand push and never miss a shift. It knows where to go!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:06 PM

i will be 61 in Feb know what a chip is and smoke Power Strokes everytime one gets froggy!!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:20 PM

Coming out of a small town the other day, I sees this F-250, EXT Cab SB, Powerjoke, AND I sees his guages, and he sees mine!

I also see it is a middle aged fellow, about 40-45, and think, "He Won't Do It!"

I WAS WRONG , he started revving it behind me .

So I just flip off the valet, and as soon as I see the smoke come puffing out of his, I mat it. Those injectors sure made a smoke show, and he was behind me all the way to my redline. Luckily, a car was coming up fast in front of us, and we had to slow down, so he never got to pass me, until I turned off.

I know he would have passed me after I tached out, probably, but he was about 4-5 lengths behind me by that time, and had an awful lot of ground to make up.

This last round of mods sure made a huge difference. (300's, 3K GSK, Timed @ 17*)
The thing runs like a striped ape!

First kill for me, after a long string of losses
Chris

NEXT STOP: Turbo
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 PM

when i saw a post abuot dragracing it wouldnot be long befor i piped in. thats all i have done since the age of 7 years old in the jr dragracing leage. now i have sitting in the trailer at home a rail car with a 406 chevy fuel injected alcohol small block. (sure wish it was a mopar performace motor). but anyways. i took my dodge ram 250 that was pretty much bone stock to the track in nashville. in the 1/8 mile it ran 11:30. there was a man there with a ram 2500 with all kinds of stuff that ran 7:50 and said that my truck was runnign good. i was happy. my truck is also made for pulling but people jsut dotn understand that. they thinnk everythign has to be a hot rod. well its still can be anyways. i also have a dodge daytona and i coudl never get it to hook up. i saw there was a fellow on here eailer that had one. is he still around. maybe we can talk abot these late 80 model super machines. i wish they would bring these things back
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Banned

I get smoked out of the hole all the time... laggy turbo combined w/ a 5sp doesn't make for a great holeshot...

but I've never come across a Powerstroke or Duramax that I couldn't walk away from out on the open road... obviously there are trucks out there that are faster than mine, but I'm just saying I haven't run into one yet... and I've run into more than a few chipped/boxed trucks

Forrest

Quick Reply: I got smoked by a P-Stroke