Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I got smoked by a P-Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:I got smoked by a P-Stroke

The Frods are fast, no doubt the V-8 winds up faster and around these parts most of the dealers are giving away 70 hp chips with the floormats.. :

Hmmm, have to chip it from the factory? Sounds like some inadequacy problems for the "Ford Tough" trucks... :-*

J-eh
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that side by side facts. A buddy has a 2002 automatic in his Dodge 3500. He also has an edge Ez.

Another buddy has the Chevy with the Duramax and Allison stock.

The dodge got him off the line, but by the end of the 1/4 marker the chevy was a full truck length in front of him.

Now doing the same up hill, the chevy could not leave the dodge at all.

So look at it in many ways. What do you all think? The trucks are pretty equal in weight. Length and whatever else. Yes one does have 90,000 miles (DODGE)!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:14 PM

I haven't timed my truck at the track, but the 6spd moves pretty good for what it is. If I need to get going in a hurry, I will launch at about 1800RPM in 2nd gear, then quickly shift to 3rd and jump on it. The cars next to me usually have a slight advantage off the line, but once you hit 3rd gear it pulls hard.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:35 PM
JKE

Touching on what Stakeman said - I think those men, Jeff & Craig, would have short throw shifters and positive stops. These are not major mods, but I bet theirs don't stop at that. It still takes a good driver. I am getting better with mine, but I have not tried any speed shifts yet.....I just do not like beating on the truck (too expensive). Now the old cars are another story....
Old 10-22-2003, 01:39 PM

I am not sure about thier shifter mods. I think Craig's was pretty much stock when I saw it run.

Yep, all it takes is HP, clutch, and someone who can speed shift.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=21272;start=15#msg199810 date=1066847991]
<snip> someone who can speed shift.
[/quote]

Hmmm... What is this 'speed shifting' thing? Is it black magic? Limited to short throw shifters?

thanks!
brandon.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 PM
JKE

Uhhh, not sure if you are joking. I will take it that you are not.

Not black magic, but takes practice and skill to be good and fast....

Method - Launch truck, hold throttle to floor, stomp down and back off of clutch as fast as you can and shift at the same time....never let off of the throttle.

This was easy for me in the cars, but this is a different animal and I think the positive stop is mandatory b4 speed shifting. You really have to hammer the lever quickly to get it in b4 the clutch tops out......
Old 10-22-2003, 01:58 PM
JKE

Yeah, need good clutch too. I do not know if anyone makes a stop kit for this tranny and the set up of the stops are critical so you don't bind/overload the gears when shifting and you get it in gear far enough too....not real sure on this tranny...needs investigation.

John
Old 10-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks! I wasn't joking, I just didn't understand the racing term. :- I suppose my slipping stock clutch isn't up to par for this type of abuse. Doesn't it over rev if you aren't fast enough with the clutch/shift?

The next racing newbie question: What material are the stops made of and how are they installed? Does it require opening the tranny?

Thanks again!
brandon.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:36 PM

I've raced several Fords here in LV, NV and the result has been the same EVERY SINGLE TIME. When I was stock, I raced a 97 Ford w/chip, exhaust, and guages and smoked him up a hill by at least5 - 7 lengths in about a quarter mile. Since I had my EDGE, Exhaust, and intake, I've raced several SuperDuties (at least 2 wtih mods) and two Duramax's. I have not raced a new 6.0 SD. I destroyed all of the SD's (7.3's) that I've come accross and beat both Duramaxs by a couple of lengths between lights 1/6 of a mile or so. I have propane but have yet to install my PS2000 yet as I'm SUPER IMPRESSED with out it.

Maybe a manual trans thing, and I'm SURE all get beat by someone, but as of today.... unbeaten ;D
Old 10-22-2003, 03:18 PM
G_T

I would think that "stock" a 6 spd is much tougher and could handle more torque than the auto... ???

Don't you have to get a 6 spd stick with the HO ???
Old 10-22-2003, 04:12 PM

i have an X (excursion) psd and it FLYS! of course, it is chipped, exhaust, intake.....(laundry list)
my HO 03 is sick when it comes to passing another vehicle...but, with a full load it pulls like no tomorrow
what i'm trying to say is: the psd and cummins are two different animals....most buy a truck to pull, not to race : and the cummins is a puller
it would be nice to get some passing OOOOmph out of my cummins though....how much is that going to cost me :
Old 10-22-2003, 04:22 PM

Well, I have one of each! I have an '02 3500 with 275's, an EZ, Scotty intake and exhaust. I also have a '94 F-250 with a Banks kit. Both have manual transmissions. The Ford accelerates like gangbusters while the Dodge is slower to build steam. There is no doubt in my mind that the Ram has more power it just "feels" different. Maybe the two extra cylinders help the turbo to spool quicker and it is probably a quicker turbo to start. I dont know. I do know that I should have listened to you guys in the first place, I need an Edge comp some EDM's and more than one turbo!! ;D
Old 10-22-2003, 04:51 PM

i haven't found a ford that is even close to my dodge and i am counting the new 6.0's. and i have killed everything i have tried to play with. but i don't pick on vetts or mustangs either. the people with the hemi's are some of the most fun, they can't figure out what the hell is going on. i just blow by them in a cloud of smoke. and i have not found a hot duramax either. i have raced a 2000 power stoke with a chip and mod's and it wasn't even close. he pulled over behind me and started checking out my old truck. i think him and i talked for a 1/2 hour while he was waiting for his truck to cool down. mike
Old 10-22-2003, 05:11 PM

I agree I haven't been beat yet either , but I know that day will come sooner than later. When it does time for twins and Bigger injectors. I have not raced a vette, but I have beaten numerous mustangs and 2 TA's with the ram Air both were convertibles.

Quick Reply: I got smoked by a P-Stroke