Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I got smoked by a P-Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got smoked by a P-Stroke

This HO Cummins engine rocks. It pulls ANYTHING as if there was NOTHING behind the truck...BUT...

I can't accelerate very well at ALL. I tried my best to keep up with a 98 or 99 Powerstroke today, and he smoked me off the line. Is it the Auto vs. the 6-spd? Do the Autos really accelerate that much faster? Or do i have something else going on?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:56 PM

Re:I got smoked by a P-Stroke

No...he was like 55 or 60 years old. I doubt he even knew what a chip was.

Plus...I get smoked by other diesel rigs all the time. I don't ususally stomp on the accelerator though...maybe I should try that and see how I do.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:32 PM

the 6 spd nv5600 tranny is really a pulling transmission and was never meant for racing

answer to your question is yes, the autos do accelerate alot faster

might be a alot differernt if u were pulling a load

there was a thread on this about a week, might wanna check out the archives
Old 10-21-2003, 11:43 PM

Thanks....that's what I thought. I'm more interested in pulling 10K uphill than I am in racing other people. It just seems like I've heard a lot of people on here say that they blew away a Duramax or a Powerstroke, and for me, that just doesn't happen. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not lacking in the power department.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:15 AM

[quote author=Redneck Headbanger link=board=20;threadid=21272;start=0#msg199549 date=1066794963]
[/quote]

Any other old geezers on here besides myself that take exception to this statement?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:33 AM

Yep Comm. I think I fit pretty close to that mark....
I know what a chip is too..
Is that something in a cookie??

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2003, 06:48 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

[quote author=Redneck Headbanger link=board=7;threadid=21272;start=0#msg199549 date=1066794963]
[/quote]

I resemble, er, I mean I resent that remark!!! I'm in that age bracket, know what a chip is and lots more.
Young whippersnipper!!!!! >

Dah, yes, stomping on it does make a difference. Stop driving like an old man and have some fun for a change. :
Old 10-22-2003, 07:02 AM

[quote author=Redneck Headbanger link=board=7;threadid=21272;start=0#msg199562 date=1066797839]
Thanks....that's what I thought. I'm more interested in pulling 10K uphill than I am in racing other people. It just seems like I've heard a lot of people on here say that they blew away a Duramax or a Powerstroke, and for me, that just doesn't happen. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not lacking in the power department.[/quote]Don't forget, Bench Racing often goes by the initials "BS"; especially when the tall tales happen on the street. Often times, the guy who got "smoked" isn't racing. The cold harsh light of the track is a better metric to use.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:34 AM

Uh-oh...looks like I forgot to respect my elders. Sorry gentlemen. ;D
Old 10-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned

i don't even think the manual six, or five speed is even in the same time zone when it comes to acceleration. They are in fact big, clumsy, slow shifter. And were never ment for blazing thru the gears. The throw is so long, by the time you hit second (or third if you like starting in 2nd) you are a mere spec in the rear veiw mirror. The new powerpuck has a very quick auto trany, and will embarass you from stoplight to stoplight, though it might make it that far. I laugh when people on here write about smoking a vett, are some ricer like a evo II or WRX. Right, They could start in reverse and still not break a sweet dusting there butt. Bench racing is so much easier, and heck it doesn't requie money or good sense.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:19 AM
JKE

I'm not much on racing my truck, but I have noticed the Fords next to me at lights. They take off hard figuring I will try to race or something. They do get out pretty quick. Even when I accelerate quickly I can tell they would smoke me.

The 6 speed is a bear to shift quick. I am getting faster however.....

This surely isn't my old 4 speed z28
Old 10-22-2003, 09:23 AM

[quote author=y-knot link=board=7;threadid=21272;start=0#msg199675 date=1066831270]
i don't even think the manual six, or five speed is even in the same time zone when it comes to acceleration. They are in fact big, clumsy, slow shifter. And were never ment for blazing thru the gears. The throw is so long, by the time you hit second (or third if you like starting in 2nd) you are a mere spec in the rear veiw mirror.
[/quote]

Don't tell Jeff Prince or Craig Monroe that. Last I heard Jeff was in the low 12's, and Craig was in the high 12's before he sold his truck. Both were sticks. It can be done.

The new powerpuck has a very quick auto trany, and will embarass you from stoplight to stoplight, though it might make it that far. I laugh when people on here write about smoking a vett, are some ricer like a evo II or WRX. Right, They could start in reverse and still not break a sweet dusting there butt. Bench racing is so much easier, and heck it doesn't requie money or good sense.
It does happen, and I have the time slips to prove it. ;D
Old 10-22-2003, 09:37 AM

[quote author=Huey link=board=7;threadid=21272;start=0#msg199617 date=1066822426]
Yep Comm. I think I fit pretty close to that mark....
I know what a chip is too..
Is that something in a cookie??
[/quote]

I thought a chip was something you avoided when you are out in the pasture.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:47 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

I think more people use box's/chip's more than you think. Advertisements are everywhere.

Quick Reply: I got smoked by a P-Stroke