Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hybrid turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hybrid turbo question

thinking about making a hybrid turbo im on a budget so I already got the HY but ive never heard of anyone using the HY in a hybrid. any ideas
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The turbine is so small that there's nothing to be gained from adding a larger compressor. There are no other turbine housings for the HY widely available, so you're stuck with the little one that's too small for performance usage.

A hybrid HX35 is essentially a 110% scale of an HY35-- small on the hotside spinning a larger compressor.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 PM

Check out ebay Ben R, You can get a brand new HX-35 for a very fair price on there.
And with the HX having an adjustable waste gate (unlike our HY's) you can play with it till you get it where you want. Up to 40 lbs in some cases. Im gettin one off there, Then when I get my new sticks prob make the HX into a hybrid.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM

The hy35 and he351 share the same turbine wheel dimensions and both use a 9cm turbine housing.The he351 is used on the 04.5-?? and that engine makes 325hp stock!!!!. I built a hybrid for my diesel car that uses an hy35 turbine housing and I simply shoved the he531 into it.

I don't see any reason that this couldn't be done as an upgrade for hy35 powered trucks. Cummins/holset figures its good so It doesn't get much better than that!

The 3rd gen guys push these turbos pretty hard and they work pretty good despite being "small" on the turbine end.

The he351 will flow more air and likely spool quicker than an hx35.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by andy2

The he351 will flow more air and likely spool quicker than an hx35.
It does and it will.

Especially compared to an HY35/9.

The turbines may be the same size, but they are NOT the same for flow.

HE turbines are significantly better than HXs. Just like the HXs were an advance over the H1Cs and such...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:36 PM

My HY spools very quickly. By 1600rpm Im at 20lbs which is the stock max lbs set point on the HY. I wish it could stand 40 lbs cause I'd keep it for its spool up.

My brothers 3rd gen with a he351 on the other hand, Is a joke.
his turbo lag is like 2 full seconds. Thats a long time when shooting a gap while towin light weight. (5k lbs). Good to hit 33 +- lbs of boost but whether Empty, loaded up, even when he had his smarty his turbo has always been lag lag lag.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
It does and it will.

Especially compared to an HY35/9.

The turbines may be the same size, but they are NOT the same for flow.

HE turbines are significantly better than HXs. Just like the HXs were an advance over the H1Cs and such...
The only part that flows more on the he351 turbine is the bigger exhaust outlet.Putting one of those big mamouth downpipes on the hy turbine housing would make it flow as good as the he351 turbine setup.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by andy2
The only part that flows more on the he351 turbine is the bigger exhaust outlet.Putting one of those big mamouth downpipes on the hy turbine housing would make it flow as good as the he351 turbine setup.
I doubt it, but do you have any test data to support your assumption?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM

An HE351 exhaust housing has to flow a lot better than an HY35 exhaust housing. The outlet on an HY35 is 3 inches. The outlet on the HE351cw is 4 inches, and the wastegate dumps right into the downpipe. Im not sure on the HY35, but the HE351cw also is not a divided housing which makes it act as a slightly larger housing.

Eric
Old 07-30-2009, 04:56 PM

I think you can find a strong HX with life left for cheap, I sold mine when I took it off for 200 bucks with a brand new heavy wastegate. didnt have any shaft play at all.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DodgenIt
My HY spools very quickly. By 1600rpm Im at 20lbs which is the stock max lbs set point on the HY. I wish it could stand 40 lbs cause I'd keep it for its spool up.

his turbo lag is like 2 full seconds. Thats a long time when shooting a gap while towin light weight. (5k lbs). Good to hit 33 +- lbs of boost but whether Empty, loaded up, even when he had his smarty his turbo has always been lag lag lag.

Anytime there is a bigger housing involved there is going to be more turbo lag, it's just the nature of the beast. Everyone is different some would choose the lag of a big single with room to grow where another person may want to have the turbo pushed to the limit for a less gain than the larger turbo. 2 seconds would be a quick spool up for me. It literally takes 4 to 5 seconds if I mash it from a stop light with no pre-boost. But at 90 MPH on the interstate it's crankin 50 lbs and still a lot of usable power. The HX 35 is one tough little turbo. I ran mine at 48 lbs for a long time and when I swapped it out there was no shaft play.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by DodgenIt

You better stick with the HY35 if you think a 3rd gen is laggy. I could have 36-40psi with my HX35 by 1400rpm on my 12 valve if i really loaded it up in overdrive, but a 12v may fuel harder down low than a 24v depending on the setup.

Eric
Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
An HE351 exhaust housing has to flow a lot better than an HY35 exhaust housing. The outlet on an HY35 is 3 inches. The outlet on the HE351cw is 4 inches, and the wastegate dumps right into the downpipe. Im not sure on the HY35, but the HE351cw also is not a divided housing which makes it act as a slightly larger housing.

Eric
Good point on the divided vs open housing.

Divided housing is better for transition. Open is better for steady state.

This is because with an open hsg, all cylinder pulses dump into an open housing. With the divided housing, the pulses stay in their respective track until just before the turbine, and there's not much room to expand into.

There's a pwm-like effect to a twin scroll hsg that helps response.

But the open hsg on the HE series turbo does overall improve flow.

As an aside, you'll notice that with the VGT chargers they are all open housing, because you don't need the twin scroll with VG.

JH
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

The he351 and hy35 both have the same turbine inducer and exducer and are 9cm (Identical flow).The only difference in flow occurs when and if you open the wastegate.All I was suggesting is that one of those "big mouth" downpipes that bolt directly to the hy/hx turbine housing would help the wastegate on the hy housing flow better like the big he531 outlet.

This post is about building a hybrid out of the hy and I can tell you that it can be done and thats all that he wanted to know.And I would say that it will perform as well as a straight he351 and be somewhat simple upgrade.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:31 PM

Cumminsdriver and rootremblay.. I know more lag comes with a bigger turbo. Ive know that for a while. It just.. Makes sense. Im not suprised yours takes so long rootrem, Thats a pretty good size charger.
I was just stating that I was quite disapointed in the lag of the he351 after being used to my HY, ESPECIALLY since they both have 9cm sides ment for quick spool up. AND like cummins dvr siad, the he is dumping into 4 in to get that air out faster. I mean, they are stock chargers and are ment to spool relatively quick.

I just ordered my HX-35 and a boost elbow to play with and am very excited about it. I am fine with more lag, its totally worth it to have the power on the top end and lower egt etc etc.

All I was saying is, I wish the HY was tougher cause the spool up is great, and I expected better of the he351. JMO.

Quick Reply: hybrid turbo question