Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HX35 vs HX55 (Adkins Lil 55)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edited by Admin
Old 03-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Banned

Edited by Admin
Old 03-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Smile

I agree with a little over half-a-megawatt -

Wrapping the turbine housing does not cause any harm or deteriorization to the turbo, if proper shutdown time is allowed after hard runs - engine oil cools the cartridge to acceptable temps.

Oil for Diesel service is rated much to higher temperature spec than passenger vehicle oil for that reason.

And, of course, you do not want to get the wrap wet when washing the cool - not hot - engine, right?

Marine engines run in specific rpm\power ranges for long periods, where turbocharger is within spec'ed Boost ranges, with no concern over low-rpm spool-up, so wrapping is not necessary for marine service.

Wrapping is beneficial to road vehicles in start-stop service where quick spool-up is desired, necessitating increased exhaust energy at lower rpm.

Reason 18-wheeler turbos are usually not wrapped is, again, they run in specific rpm ranges for long periods, where turbocharger is already within spec'ed Boost ranges.

Same scenario applies to stationary and etc engines.

Also, very few 18-wheeler tractor owners, marine owners, stationary engine owners, etc, alter governor rpm, increase Inj Pump output, advance timing, replace stiffer valve springs, increase turbo sizing, etc, in order to jump on mini-vans, Yugo's, Geo Metro's, and Ford Taurus's at every stop lite.

Or, to blow heavy black smoke in order to spur specific reaction from EPA and the smog cops.

I would say - it's not how much you know, rather, how you apply it - but, not wanting to start an argument, I won't.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

Like I said before,in principal it sounds great,in real world it isnt.

And its not because the operate at a specific RPM range that wraps are not needed or put on.Its that a manufacturer doesnt know who will be abusing/operating the rig and doesnt want to put on a part they know will cause damage.

Ive been in the game long enough to see that wrapped aluminized rots and wrapped SS cracks.Some SS is better at resisting cracks but it will happen eventually when wrapped....AND IM TALKING ABOUT TURBO APPS WHERE THE EGT'S ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN NA ENGINES,DIESEL AND GAS INCLUDED.Only real advantage wrap has in to combat underhood heat and true HP junkies know this.Seriously.Go ahead and call HTT or II and ask them what they think of wrap.$100 says they say they tell you they wont warranty their product if its wrapped.

And my brothers Volvo has the Pittsburgh Power box and turbo.Not for passing power but pulling power.It will do a pretty sweet burnout though..
Old 03-12-2006, 10:24 AM

True, in essence, my friend.

Most owner\drivers are in too big a hurry to time-out for turbo cool-down.

Whether from management-driven efficiency scheduling, or 'ain't my truck I ain't gonna waste no time with that crap' or 'them guys are fulla crap, my rig don' need no steenkin' turbo cool-down' attitudes, it seldom gets done.

Drives warranty liabilities off the charts.

'Course, if they find out you've been running 30psi on an HX-35, your warranty is pretty much null and void, also.

Osha, EPA, HR and others have\are mandating personnel safety restrictions, resulting in more and more use of shielding to reduce work-place hazards, while supposedly increasing efficiency.

I built my truck for towing\hauling efficiency - NO black smoke - so wrapping was unnecessary, but I've considered installing turbine and down-pipe shielding to reduce radiated heat to the hood and cabin.

Still, for street pickups, it all boils down to personal requirements\choice - 'wrap'em if you got'em'.

The facts are simple - wrapping can increase turbine efficiency, and does require increased operational care and precaution.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:37 PM

I can tell you first hand stainless wrapped up pipes were ruined in 1000 miles on a hot rod 7.3!More crack than Jaylo
Thinking of jet hot coating on the uppipes & turbo housings but I don't know??
Starting to second guess doing it,they claim it will lower the outside of the pipes & turbo housing & increase the effiency.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Correct - wrapping should not be used in service where repeated exposure to water is expected.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Soooo, Getblown how ya likin' that 55 now???

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Banned

its still a laggy son of a gun...but ive gotten used to driving it in higher rpms. fuel mileage sucks at those RPMS tho oh well, the price i pay for max EGT's of 1350 on 5x5 wastegated at 45psi and the top end pull of a sports car.

if i drive it hard, i can get it to spool at the top of third and pull like a freight train all the way to the top of 6th...but its a smokey run and im gonna save that for the race track
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
its still a laggy son of a gun...but ive gotten used to driving it in higher rpms. fuel mileage sucks at those RPMS tho oh well, the price i pay for max EGT's of 1350 on 5x5 wastegated at 45psi and the top end pull of a sports car.

if i drive it hard, i can get it to spool at the top of third and pull like a freight train all the way to the top of 6th...but its a smokey run and im gonna save that for the race track
Exactly what I *don't* want in my next turbo.

That's why I'm *strongly* considering nitrous or water/meth in lieu of a larger charger.

Honestly, how often are you pulling WOT and need that top-end cooling? Compare that to how often you need quick spool at less than WOT and draw your own conclusions.

jmo
Old 03-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

HOHN...honestly if you saw me drive...you'd know that the top end cooling at WOT is very important to me. i will say no more because i dont want to have people slapping my wrist about my driving habits
Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
haha! It's YOUR truck. If you aren't endangering anyone else, drive as you see fit.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DART505
I can tell you first hand stainless wrapped up pipes were ruined in 1000 miles on a hot rod 7.3!More crack than Jaylo
Thinking of jet hot coating on the uppipes & turbo housings but I don't know??
Starting to second guess doing it,they claim it will lower the outside of the pipes & turbo housing & increase the effiency.
Edited by Admin
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM

HOHN, I have a set of BD Twins calling your name Good spool AND top end cooling! Especially if M4's are enough for you (for now)

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmnscrzy
2 people speaking from experience while the book worms keep puking inaccurate info.How could that be though,you guys say you know what youre talking about and wrap is good....

Get some experience and well talk,till then,run your mouth to someone who might belive the liquid mess that runs out your mouths.

Like I said,CALL HTT OR III AND ASK THEM!!!!!
You're a class act dude!!!

Quick Reply: HX35 vs HX55 (Adkins Lil 55)